Twitch Announces PlayStation 4 Integration

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Twitch Announces PlayStation 4 Integration

PlayStation 4 owners hoping to stream footage of their gameplay will find it exceedingly simple, thanks to a surprisingly simple Twitch integration.

Twitch has become the de facto leader in streaming game footage, and with the PlayStation 4 just around the corner the firm has revealed a partnership with Sony that should make it very easy to stream your favorite titles. According to a newly-issued press release, streaming footage to your Twitch account will be as simple as pressing the "Share" button on your DualShock4 controller. Further, the console will have built-in Twitch functionality, allowing PS4 owners to view any of the service's many streams on their new console.

"Social capabilities are an integral part of PS4, so Twitch will play an important role in delivering a compelling connected experience to PlayStation fans," states President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida. "Twitch's gamer-focused community combined with our strong portfolio of innovative PS4 titles, will help define next generation gameplay and community engagement."

While this is undoubtedly good news for those who enjoy spectating professional gamers or inviting others to watch their own play, it remains to be seen how well this bandwidth-intensive feature set will actually perform when dropped into the hands of consumers. If history is any indication, it should perform flawlessly for anyone with a solid broadband connection, but still, only time will tell.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Megacherv said:
Weren't they doing this with UStream as well?
Yeah, but I would be surprised if they had the deal with both really.

OT: I'm not surprised with this really. Twitch didn't sign an exclusive deal with Xbox One as I've seen some of the XB1's defenders clamoring about for a while. I'm glad this is here because it'll help with me possibly to not have to use XSplit for everything. :D

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Unsurprisingly. for a company that put so much effort into making "you can stream" pretty much their main pitch they ought to get with the current juggernaut. too late though. the whole "twitch stream buzz" has drove off. no easy money there now. now 2 years ago you could, had you knew what to do. now you have to be really unique to stand against an army of streamers. then again the top streamer spends half the time cycling same silyl cat animation and playing youtube techno playlist, so i guess it may not be as hard then?

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
If Sony were truly comitted to streaming, they'd disable HDCP on games so people could capture their footage using Xsplit. THAT is how you stream.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
RikuoAmero said:
If Sony were truly comitted to streaming, they'd disable HDCP on games so people could capture their footage using Xsplit. THAT is how you stream.
Thing is they can't do so legally. Anything that can play Bluray movies is required by law to implement HDCP encryption on it. Apparently the Xbox One found a way around it since you can use your own capture cards on the system, or so I read in old news stories.
Plus, HDCP is extremely easy to get around actually, so it still isn't really a deal breaking issue here.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
Strazdas said:
then again the top streamer spends half the time cycling same silyl cat animation and playing youtube techno playlist, so i guess it may not be as hard then?
What? No. The top streamer plays LoL.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Neronium said:
RikuoAmero said:
Thing is they can't do so legally. Anything that can play Bluray movies is required by law to implement HDCP encryption on it. Apparently the Xbox One found a way around it since you can use your own capture cards on the system, or so I read in old news stories.
Plus, HDCP is extremely easy to get around actually, so it still isn't really a deal breaking issue here.
Not quite true, my friend. Anything that has an HDMI output/input has to submit to certain requirements from the HDMI governing body, of which Sony is a member. Since HDMI is still under patent, that means this governing body has control over what people are allowed sell devices with HDMI in them. Since Sony are a member of this body, they can easily grant themselves an exception from implementing HDCP in their own devices.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Frostbite3789 said:
Strazdas said:
then again the top streamer spends half the time cycling same silyl cat animation and playing youtube techno playlist, so i guess it may not be as hard then?
What? No. The top streamer plays LoL.
I do not know who the top streamer of whole twitch is. sorry for that confusion, i meant a tp streamer of a MMO i play - eve online. thats the only game i watched somone stream anyway. Id rather watch a recorded session.