Terminators: The Video Game is Coming to Save the Future

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Terminators: The Video Game is Coming to Save the Future

Reef Entertainment is working on a new Terminator game inspired by the 1984 and 1991 films.

Duh duh duh duh duh. Duh duh duh duh duh.

To the laymen that the above string of "duhs" might look nothing but a waste of space. To the Terminator fan however, it's the staccato beat of the film series' iconic score, music that brings to mind images of an apocalyptic future where shotgun toting Austrian cyborgs travel through time to destroy/save humanity. We bring this up, of course, because UK publisher Reef Entertainment has revealed it will be backing new videogames based on the Terminator license, starting with the newly announced Terminators: The Video Game.

"Here at Reef we are huge fans of 1984 & 1991 Sci-Fi action master-pieces" said a Reef spokeperson. "It's an incredible opportunity and an equally huge responsibility to create a game that does great justice to the motion-pictures. We are studying all aspects and influences of the Terminator universe defined in Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day." Reef's licensing agreement grants it specific console and PC rights to the first two Terminator films.

Looking at Reef's <a href=http://www.reef-entertainment.com/products.html>current library of releases there isn't much in the way of big name or prominent titles. That being the case the publisher's focus on the original Terminator and its sequel (a.k.a. the greatest action film ever made) is somewhat heartening for the long suffering franchise fan. Granted, this announcement can't erase the past two film <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/744-MovieBob-Reviews-Terminator-Salvation>sequels or make up for the fact that Arnold Schwarzenegger is probably going to look ridiculous in <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125492-Terminator-Reboot-Coming-in-June-2015>the reboot. That said, if a new game can harness even a fraction of the old awesome, it'll be something to be happy about.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Genocidicles said:
I'll remain hopeful... but I'm having Aliens: Colonial Marines flashbacks already.
It's okay, if they mess it up we can just someone back in time to stop them from ever making the game.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Genocidicles said:
I'll remain hopeful... but I'm having Aliens: Colonial Marines flashbacks already.
Personally I'd stick with distant and cautious.. the bar has been mostly kept pretty low for this franchise since the mid-90s.

However I'm heartened by their reference to the first two films and essentially nothing since being acknowledged.

The_Darkness

Nov 8, 2010
I know this is going to be a cliche post, but I haven't had a chance to do this for a while...

StewShearer said:
Granted, this announcement can't erase the past two film <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/744-MovieBob-Reviews-Terminator-Salvation>sequels
...What are you talking about? There were only ever two Terminator films. It would have been awesome if they'd continued the series, but, sadly, they didn't! ;-)

OT: I'm... interested. I'll need to know a bit more about the game before I can make a judgement call (FPS? RPG? Action Adventure? RTS!?), but focusing on the everything that made the Terminator franchise awesome can't be a bad thing.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Sounds good....But with today's FPS/TPS mechanics I'm having doubts....Publisher/Developer portfolio doesn't seem stellar either....And this has been kinda of been done before.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
The_Darkness said:
I know this is going to be a cliche post, but I haven't had a chance to do this for a while...

StewShearer said:
Granted, this announcement can't erase the past two film <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/744-MovieBob-Reviews-Terminator-Salvation>sequels
...What are you talking about? There were only ever two Terminator films. It would have been awesome if they'd continued the series, but, sadly, they didn't! ;-)

OT: I'm... interested. I'll need to know a bit more about the game before I can make a judgement call (FPS? RPG? Action Adventure? RTS!?), but focusing on the everything that made the Terminator franchise awesome can't be a bad thing.
I like the cut of your jib! :D

ffs-dontcare

Aug 13, 2009
Does anybody else remember the last Terminator FPS? Y'know, the incredibly terrible Battlefield clone (if I recall correctly).

Let us hope this will not turn out to be the same in terms of quality.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Skeptical modern gamer is skeptical.

I predict; Go here, shoot this, go to there, kill that, go over there, quicktime event, go way over there, boss fight. 6 hours and you're done. It will have a moderately interesting multiplayer, which only a dozen or so people will play. For the first week. Then 6 months of nothing, randomly broken up by stripped out content resold as DLC.

Trevor Power

Oct 16, 2012
though Bethesda The Terminator: Future Shock was quite a good take on the Terminator universe even if it did have extra robots not seen in the films.

TwoSidesOneCoin

Dec 11, 2010
I'd settle for owning this Terminator light gun game. Silly fun, but reminds me of a day at the range as well.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SP5aJBYXscc/Tyb07oYP-KI/AAAAAAAAAJI/khTpDzwXrNw/s320/Terminator+Salvation+Arcade+Cabinet.jpg

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I like that they have said it will be based on the first two Terminator movies and not the 'Terminator' movies that came after them. But I'll be waiting until it has been released and thouroughly reviewed before I consider buying a licensed game based on an 80s/90s action movie.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
These guys made Rogue trooper?! I loved that game. Hopefully their Terminator game will be just as fun.

robinkom

Jan 8, 2009
In my opinion, video game perfection for this franchise already exists: "The Terminator" for Sega CD and "RoboCop Vs. Terminator" for Sega Genesis. Just... such fantastic action platformers... and the Sega CD game has an AWESOME soundtrack. I remember finding my copy of it on clearance at a small independent game store while I was on vacation back in the mid-90s along with the Sega CD port of Demolition Man (also a great game).

Also, "T2: The Arcade Game" wasn't too bad but only if you're playing the actual arcade cabinet with the mounted guns. The home console experience for it was dismal trying use the battery-hungry Super Scope 6 and Menacer or a regular controller.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
StewShearer said:
The_Darkness said:

StewShearer said:

I like the cut of your jib! :D
Adam Jensen said:
I was just thinking about a T2 game a couple of days ago. But it has to be from a third person perspective.
I'd like to see a stealth-based 3rd-person take on the Terminator universe. And I want to be on the record that Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles was awesome!

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Not going to lie, anything that actually feels the need to put "The Video Game" in the title leaves me pretty skeptical.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
They are the same company making that Rambo game. Guess when that is released this year then we know what the Terminators could be like.