Disney's Leading Ladies Go From Princess To Pugilist

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Disney's Leading Ladies Go From Princess To Pugilist

Ruling a cartoon kingdom is hard work, so when Disney's leading ladies want to unwind they do so by tossing fireballs and punching jerks in the face.

At least, that's the idea posited by a new series of illustrations created by artist Mike V. Like so many fan-art efforts, Mr. V. decided that the best way to homage the most famous women in Disney's catalogue would be by mashing the characters up with an otherwise disparate situation: In this case these princesses have been recreated as if they were the stars of an SNES-era fighting game. This means lots of pixels, lots of flesh-baring fanservice and a certain diminutive mermaid toting her father's trident in such a way as to pretty clearly evoke Aquaman's armless incarnation.

That picture embedded at top-right depicts the titular star of Cinderella as if she was filling in for Chun-Li in one of the 90s-era Street Fighter tournaments, but that's only a small glimpse of what Mike V. has created. We're all about providing due propers where applicable, so please pay a visit to the artist's official site [http://mikev.me/] for a full look at his work. It would have been impressive enough had he merely recreated the princesses in 16-bit style, but fighting game fans will also note that the characters have been posed in ways that directly mimic famous virtual fighters. The comments are below and whoever can name the most references wins a big shiny bowl of absolutely nothing. Good luck!

Source: MikeVDesign [http://mikev.me/]

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
a certain diminutive mermaid sporting an Aquaman-style arm prosthetic.
Might want to double check that one. She is wearing King Triton's gauntlets with the staff, not a prosthetic arm.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I am still trying to figure out who half of them are.

Snow White = Sakura
Cinderella = Chun Li
Pocahontas = Psylocke

Will edit more as I figure them out from memory.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Fappy said:

Snow White = Sakura
Cinderella = Chun Li
Pocahontas = Psylocke

Jasmine makes me think of Gen, but he's not famous.

OT: These are hilarious. I wish they actually did a game with these.

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
TiberiusEsuriens said:
Earnest Cavalli said:
a certain diminutive mermaid sporting an Aquaman-style arm prosthetic.
Might want to double check that one. She is wearing King Triton's gauntlets with the staff, not a prosthetic arm.
Oh crap! You're totally right! I've been playing so much Injustice that whenever I see an aquatic character with a green and gold color scheme and a trident (that covers most of her hand) I assume it's because she lost an arm. Good eye dude.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Earnest Cavalli said:
Oh crap! You're totally right! I've been playing so much Injustice that whenever I see an aquatic character with a green and gold color scheme and a trident (that covers most of her hand) I assume it's because she lost an arm. Good eye dude.
I know my Disney princesses! I wonder if Ariel and Aquaman share superpowers? She has the trident, so what would her super ability be? Grow 50 stories tall, turn her opponent into plankton, grow two legs and make them fall in love with her, or summon sharks and a whale to fall on her opponent?

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Fappy said:

Snow White = Sakura
Cinderella = Chun Li
Pocahontas = Psylocke

Jasmine makes me think of Gen, but he's not famous.

OT: These are hilarious. I wish they actually did a game with these.
I thought Jasmine was Juri, one leg in the air baggy pants little on top (clothing wise) it's a perfect match.

I think Rapunzel is all new though.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
While I do find these awesome, I can't help but worry that there is a cease and desist being written up as we speak...
EDIT: Also I just realized that Nala (is that her name? I haven't watched lion king in years) appears to be posed based on Felicia from Darkstalkers.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/if-disney-princesses-were-old-school-street-fighter-cha-1179780030] has broken them all down before, so...

Snow White -> Sakura
Jasmine -> Juri
Nala -> Felicia
Ariel -> Magneto
Rapunzel -> Cammy (YA RLY)
Pocohontas -> Psylocke

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
Hey...I would TOTALLY play this MUGEN game...

Then, I would totally ask to have this put on that website where people bet on MUGEN matches, haha.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Not bad, not bad. The edits are a good start, but there's definitely inconsistencies in the redesigns and the palette structure is a bit weak (then again it might be the white background that throws off the balance). However, it looks like he's just started dabbling in pixel art and hasn't exactly nailed down his own style yet.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Kinitawowi said:
Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/if-disney-princesses-were-old-school-street-fighter-cha-1179780030] has broken them all down before, so...

Snow White -> Sakura
Jasmine -> Juri
Nala -> Felicia
Ariel -> Magneto
Rapunzel -> Cammy (YA RLY)
Pocohontas -> Psylocke
Thanks for pointing that out. I was trying to remember the name of The Lion King character.

I like this mash-up and I hope Mike V will do more of these down the road. I could definitely see this as a MUGEN inspired game.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
This is some pretty epic art! This artist has a fan in me! :3

I would've went for Rapunzel as Milla Rage what with the hair theme, but Mila might've been too recent to qualify.