Ubisoft Confirms Rainbow 6: Patriots is Still Kicking

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Ubisoft Confirms Rainbow 6: Patriots is Still Kicking

According to Ubisoft, the long dormant Rainbow 6: Patriots is still in development.

You might recall Rainbow 6: Patriots from its announcement back in 2011. Billed back then as a gaming experience possessing as much ethical storytelling as tactical combat, it gained the interest of many gamers with its interesting premise. Rather than pitting players against the usual motley of foreign baddies many action games rely on, the titular team was going to face off against the "True Patriots," a network of American militia men and terrorists bent on returning the country to its supposed roots.

As time went on the game seemed to fall into a development limbo that many assumed it would never rise out of. GameStop even went so far as to <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/rainbow-6-patriots-pulled-from-gamestop-database-6408526>pull the title from its database of upcoming games. Now, however, almost two years after its initial reveal, Ubisoft has confirmed that Patriots is still in development and will remain so until it's "perfect."

"We want people who play the next Rainbow 6 to be astonished, to be very pleased with what they see," said Alain Corre, executive director at Ubisoft. "You've seen that the improvement in games over the last few years has been exponential. We have to reflect that improvement in quality. That's what we're doing on all our games." According to Corre, however, how long game's current polishing process will last could vary. "Creation is not an exact science," he said. "When we're happy with what we see, when we think we can bring something new to gamers, then we say, 'Okay, this is a good time to release it.'"

This isn't the first time Ubisoft has confirmed that Patriots still existed. Back in June the publisher reported to press that the new game could possibly be <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/rainbow-six-patriots-moves-to-next-gen-6410181>moving to next-gen consoles. Even then, however, the language being used was a tad wishy-washy, leaving some to wonder if Ubisoft was being genuine. While this latest update is still all talk, it's at least talk that says something relatively firm. That still doesn't guarantee anything, of course, but it's arguably better than nothing.

Source: GameSpot

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Hopefully it isn't being hit with the 'wider appeal' hammer at the same time. With this much churn time it may have homogenized to the 'Gears of Dutyfield' level.

Zeren

Aug 6, 2011
You get to play as soldiers who kill their own countrymen? Fuck that. I'm not buying anything that advocates that.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Zeren said:
You get to play as soldiers who kill their own countrymen? Fuck that. I'm not buying anything that advocates that.
'Rainbow Six' is an international anti-terror squad made to tackle international terrorists.

Anti-American Eagle

HAPPENING IMMINENT
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
Canada
I'm being cautious but optimistic about this until I hear more news, because I've been waiting since it was announced.

As long as it's still Rainbow Six and not Ghost Recon, I'm Happy.
To clarify: As long as it's more like Rainbow Six Vegas 2 than Ghost Recon Future Soldier, I'm Happy.
Otherwise, Cautious but Optimistic.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Zeren said:
Let's ignore the fact that Rainbow is a multi-national counter-terrorist group, fighting terrorists of any nationality, which in previous Rainbow Six games have included plenty of Americans enemies... do you realize how many games have American protagonists killing American antagonists? Do you boycott those as well?

LysanderNemoinis

Noble and oppressed Kekistani
Nov 8, 2010
You know, I wish military games went back to the whole "My country, tis of thee" jingoism that they're supposedly so full of. CoD doesn't count, because it doesn't have a damn story. My first impulse was to get excited, but since the game's going to be Rainbow 6: The MSNBC Edition, I'm not going to bother.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
LysanderNemoinis said:
You know, I wish military games went back to the whole "My country, tis of thee" jingoism that they're supposedly so full of. CoD doesn't count, because it doesn't have a damn story. My first impulse was to get excited, but since the game's going to be Rainbow 6: The MSNBC Edition, I'm not going to bother.
Rainbow Six was always about the US doing something stupid and having international dudes fix their mess. The big American character in the series, Ding, used to be a CIA puppet that signed up for the CIA puppetry as a way to get a bigger pay check. And this is coming from Clancy, who falls pretty close to military fetishist.

Or are you implying that the US doesn't have gun violence and domestic terror?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
I am quite excited for this since I like tactical shooters and I find the premise interesting as it probably wont be as one sided as it usually is (the terrorists have reasons beyond "I am evil" while the victims are also part of some shady practices). Basicly its all a mess, no one is a saint and the best is to just save everyone (the best would be like in the SWAT series where even making sure the criminal lives earns you points).

Ftaghn To You Too

Nov 25, 2009
The cool thing about this is that the terrorists have actual depth. The demo they were showing off displayed them as being a cross between insane right-winger militias and a more left-wing hatred of financial institutions and predatory capitalism.

Color me excited. I wanted to play this from the moment I heard of it.