The Wonderful 101 Was Originally a Massive Nintendo Crossover

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Wonderful 101 Was Originally a Massive Nintendo Crossover

The Wonderful 101 is packed with original superheroes, but the initial vision would have had players controlling an all-star cast of Nintendo's greatest.

Platinum Games' recent Wii U exclusive The Wonderful 101 is a new IP with some snazzy character designs, but if the developers hadn't changed course the characters might have looked a lot more familiar. When Platinum Games originally pitched the idea for the game, the design document eschewed superheroes in favor of classic Nintendo characters, as well as popular icons from outside the Big N. The heroic aesthetic that the team eventually settled on never would have happened if it hadn't been for some tough executive decisions, and presumably a dizzying amount of licensing issues.

Hideki Kamiya, director of The Wonderful 101, says that the team's original vision was to "bring together world famous characters with Nintendo characters at its center, appearing all in one game." The goal would have looked something like the franchise-spanning cast of Super Smash Bros., had it gone unchanged. Kamiya hoped to "please everyone by letting them play the whole game as their favorite character."

The idea was ambitious, but in the end it was too much. Even Iwata, who served as a producer on the original Smash Bros., was hesitant about the project. "The moment I saw the cover, I winced," added producer Hitoshi Yamagami. The game was rebuilt from the ground up as the original IP it is today.

The Wonderful 101 launches September 15 in North America and is already on shelves in other territories.

Source: Iwata Asks [http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/wiiu/thewonderful101/1/0]

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I'm actually really glad that it turned into the game we have now. Mainly because I guarantee that it would've been compared to Disney Infinity, which I've been seeing more advertisements for on TV and the internet than I have for this game, which makes me sad. T^T

Seriously Platinum, do some more advertising for this game because I don't want your curse of making Cult-Classic games that don't sell well to end.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Interesting. While it probably would have been very cool to see the original idea all finished, I think the change is probably a good thing. Nintendo needs some new-blood in their IPs desperately and The Wonderful 101 does look really fun and full of character.

Dec 14, 2009
I'm glad it's the way it is now.

Because the way it is now is fucking awesome, seriously, a really fun title.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
That would of been interesting but yeah that wouldn't had worked in the overall result, still it would of been cool if Joe (Viewtiful Joe) and co had appear in it or at least an cameo.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Scarim Coral said:
That would of been interesting but yeah that wouldn't had worked in the overall result, still it would of been cool if Joe (Viewtiful Joe) and co had appear in it or at least an cameo.
Knowing Platinum they probably put in a small reference to it like how they did for Okami. If not then I'll be disappointed because if any game deserves a Viewtiful Joe reference it is this game bar none.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
I'm sure it would've sold better, and still be pretty good anyway, but I'm glad it turned into something original. I would rather have another Nintendo crossover be either an RPG of some kind, or racing game.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
No I mean just more in general. Nintendo finally advertised Pikmin 3 down here where I live and so did Animal Crossing. Even though people say that no one watches TV, there are still people who watch it. Plus really the Escapist is the only site doing news on this games and I never see ads before YouTube videos when watching monetized Nintendo LPs or videos, so while there is advertising out there, there isn't nearly as much as there should be.

I know many people who have never even heard of this game.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
No I mean just more in general. Nintendo finally advertised Pikmin 3 down here where I live and so did Animal Crossing. Even though people say that no one watches TV, there are still people who watch it. Plus really the Escapist is the only site doing news on this games and I never see ads before YouTube videos when watching monetized Nintendo LPs or videos, so while there is advertising out there, there isn't nearly as much as there should be.

I know many people who have never even heard of this game.
I'm not gonna lie. Don't underestimate the power of word-of-mouth.

Animal Crossing destroyed sales here in the US, and it was only up until a couple of months ago that they started putting up ads.

On release day?
Shit.
You'd be lucky to find a copy anywhere.

The guy at Target basically said the pattern went like this: First all the kids bought it. Then all the kids friends got it. After that, all the pre-teens and teenagers got it. After seeing how cool the game was EVEN MORE teens bought the game. Lastly all the casuals like the adults, grandmas, house wives/dads went and picked up the game.
He said it was surreal.
A niche game title literally jumped up to Mario status.

Let's not get started on Fire Emblem: Awakening.
The only advertisement that game got was on Club Nintendo (and that sweet promotion) the franchise saw sales on the series that they only could dream of.
The best part?
Many of those people got hooked.
Now me, a person who hates JRPG's on a standard basis is anxious to see the release of the crossover happening on the Wii U.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Dragonbums said:
I'm not doubting it, but when no one but a small few are talking about the game or reporting about it, so pretty much not many people are gonna go out of the way to get it.

But also you have to remember that the games you used as an example are already established franchises and have been established franchises for a long time. The Wonderful 101 is a new IP and Platinum can do at least some more advertising because word-of-mouth isn't really a good way to advertise a game. Advertising has never been Clover or Platinum's strong suit per say and they've suffered in the past for it.

Also, while that deal was nice, you do know that European gamers got screwed over by it right since it was never even offered to them. Seriously, what does Atlus have against Europe? >.>

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Neronium said:
Dragonbums said:
I'm not doubting it, but when no one but a small few are talking about the game or reporting about it, so pretty much not many people are gonna go out of the way to get it.

But also you have to remember that the games you used as an example are already established franchises and have been established franchises for a long time. The Wonderful 101 is a new IP and Platinum can do at least some more advertising because word-of-mouth isn't really a good way to advertise a game. Advertising has never been Clover or Platinum's strong suit per say and they've suffered in the past for it.

Also, while that deal was nice, you do know that European gamers got screwed over by it right since it was never even offered to them. Seriously, what does Atlus have against Europe? >.>
To be fair though, you had to buy BOTH Shin Megami and Fire Emblem to get that promotion.
Which is $60.00 for a $30.00 promotion. Wasn't all too happy about that. But hey, at least both games are good.