PS4/Vita Cross Platform Party Chat Confirmed

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PS4/Vita Cross Platform Party Chat Confirmed

SCE Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida has confirmed Vita and PS4 cross platform party chat in a Tweet.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/yosp/status/370800634754113536]

While Sony has understandably been working hard recently to push the merits of the Playstation 4, the console's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127035-PlayStation-4-Debuts-November-15>impending launch has given the company an opportunity to try and sell gamers again on the Vita. According to Sony, the Vita will have <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124426-Sony-Confirms-Vita-Remote-Play-For-All-PS4-Games>remote play functionality with nearly every single PS4 title, an arguable selling point if you're one of the many gamers with only one TV and a pack of annoying screen hogs (a.k.a. family) constantly interrupting your console time.

Now, Shuhei Yoshida, President of Sony Computer Entertainment Worldwide Studios, has confirmed that the PS4 and Vita's cross platform functionality will include cross chat. The confirmation came via Twitter where Yoshida was responding to a fan inquiry. The fan in question, one Ross Hindaugh, asked "If I have a friend playing Vita can I invite him into my party chat on PS4? Cross platform chat?" Yoshida, in a succinct response, said "Yes."

While most likely not a system selling feature on the Vita's part, the confirmation of cross chat arguably sweetens the deal for buyers considering the Vita as a companion to the PS4. Even with arguably limited appeal, however, features like this still go a long way toward making the platform more attractive, especially when coupled with its <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127038-Sony-Confirms-Vita-Price-Cut>recent price drop.

Source: <a href=https://twitter.com/yosp/status/370800634754113536>Twitter

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
That's kind of neat. A little pointless though. Aren't there only like one million Vitas that got sold?

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
The Vita is an awesome handheld with some awesome games. Doesn't need any other selling points, but this is a nice inclusion.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Er, yay?

Does it also take phone calls? No?

Because, you see, if I own a Vita I already have a device that allows me to communicate with other people.

Pro-tip: it's called a cellphone.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Abomination said:
Er, yay?

Because, you see, if I own a Vita I already have a device that allows me to communicate with other people.

This is a horrible argument. Party chat is when you're playing with friends or want to chat with multiple people (more than 2.) So this is really useful, more so since most phones don't support talking to more than 1 person at a time without the aid of an app and not everyone has a smart phone.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
I know they are more technically similar compared to a xbox 360 and a xbox uno. But, Sony just beat Microsoft with another feature. I predict in the next couple weeks M$ might say they fixed the sample rate issues with the xbox chat systems.
Abomination said:
Er, yay?

Depending on the cell plans, it might cost one or both parties money when they have a free alternative currently in their hands. Also, some people don't really want to give out their number to strangers they are at least comfortable playing with online repeatedly. I don't even want my meatspace friends calling me five times a day about going online to play the same damn shooter we played for 3 years.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Korten12 said:
Abomination said:
Er, yay?

This is a horrible argument. Party chat is when you're playing with friends or want to chat with multiple people (more than 2.) So this is really useful, more so since most phones don't support talking to more than 1 person at a time without the aid of an app and not everyone has a smart phone.
Hairless Mammoth said:
I know they are more technically similar compared to a xbox 360 and a xbox uno. But, Sony just beat Microsoft with another feature. I predict in the next couple weeks M$ might say they fixed the sample rate issues with the xbox chat systems.
Abomination said:
Er, yay?

Depending on the cell plans, it might cost one or both parties money when they have a free alternative currently in their hands. Also, some people don't really want to give out their number to strangers they are at least comfortable playing with online repeatedly. I don't even want my meatspace friends calling me five times a day about going online to play the same damn shooter we played for 3 years.
But in what scenario would you need to communicate with someone with a Vita?

Because I can't think of one where someone with a handheld will need to communicate with someone on a console when both systems do not support the same level of gaming.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
Abomination said:
Korten12 said:
Abomination said:
Er, yay?

Hairless Mammoth said:
Abomination said:
Er, yay?

Because I can't think of one where someone with a handheld will need to communicate with someone on a console when both systems do not support the same level of gaming.
People do chat with gaming friends while they are both playing different games.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Abomination said:

It's a nice feature even if it would barely be used, and it's better than Microsoft's: "You can see people online with their 360 while you're playing the xbone, but you can't talk to them because we can't be assed to come up with a simple downsampling algorithm." The xboxes are more compatible game level wise yet MS basically told everyone some BS excuse. I don't know how it would work with remote play. Sony is going with the social(ugh)aspect and trying to get the Vita and P24 linked together more, so like Korten12 said, it would let more people easily talk to one another in large groups. Also, My friends and I log into Steam and might not play a game for an hour or so. When that happens we usually chat for a bit while surfing the web. It might would that way with the vita/PS4; chat with your buddy while your both do your own thing.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
J Tyran said:
Yes, but different systems that have different gaming libraries?

The number of people who would use this funcionality is going to be a fraction of a fraction of Playstation owners who also possess Vitas.

I mean, awesome they're including it... I guess. I imagine they just had some folks with nothing to do.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Abomination said:
J Tyran said:

The number of people who would use this funcionality is going to be a fraction of a fraction of Playstation owners who also possess Vitas.

I mean, awesome they're including it... I guess. I imagine they just had some folks with nothing to do.
It seems you have ignored that people talk to each other while playing different games all of the time. This is nothing new. I don't see what the system makes this any different. Would you say that Mac users shouldn't chat with PC users because PC gamers have more games that Mac doesn't? Plus with games like Playstation All-stars, Helldivers and more, which are cross-play between their console and portable versions.

Also did you not know how big Party chat was on 360? It was one of the biggest features Xbox fans touted at their Playstation foes.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Hairless Mammoth said:
Abomination said:

It's a nice feature even if it would barely be used, and it's better than Microsoft's: "You can see people online with their 360 while you're playing the xbone, but you can't talk to them because we can't be assed to come up with a simple downsampling algorithm." The xboxes are more compatible game level wise yet MS basically told everyone some BS excuse. I don't know how it would work with remote play. Sony is going with the social(ugh)aspect and trying to get the Vita and P24 linked together more, so like Korten12 said, it would let more people easily talk to one another in large groups. Also, My friends and I log into Steam and might not play a game for an hour or so. When that happens we usually chat for a bit while surfing the web. It might would that way with the vita/PS4; chat with your buddy while your both do your own thing.
Well the Microsoft reason for not providing the community support is because they want people on 360s to SEE people on the XBone who they can no longer talk with because they're filthy peasants who can't afford to upgrade. The reason they can't do it is a bold faced lie.

The thing is the Vita is NOT a member of the Playstation generations. The comparison isn't the same... also wouldn't the Vita user have the advantage when it comes to chatting? I mean, they get a touchscreen, what do PS3/4 users do to communicate via text? They wouldn't be able to use voice chat, would they?

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Abomination said:
The thing is the Vita is NOT a member of the Playstation generations. The comparison isn't the same... also wouldn't the Vita user have the advantage when it comes to chatting? I mean, they get a touchscreen, what do PS3/4 users do to communicate via text? They wouldn't be able to use voice chat, would they?
What? They would be voice chat. The Vita supports a headset but also has a microphone built in already.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Korten12 said:
Abomination said:
J Tyran said:

It seems you have ignored that people talk to each other while playing different games all of the time. This is nothing new. I don't see what the system makes this any different. Would you say that Mac users shouldn't chat with PC users because PC gamers have more games that Mac doesn't? Plus with games like Playstation All-stars, Helldivers and more, which are cross-play between their console and portable versions.

Also did you not know how big Party chat was on 360? It was one of the biggest features Xbox fans touted at their Playstation foes.
Mac users and PC users might be on different "systems" but it's the same platform. The reason they can talk to each other is because there's not this massive barrier between Macs and PCs like there is between Xbox and Playstation.

So far people have only provided apples and oranges examples, but none tackle exactly the scenario in which this function will be used. How often do you chat with someone using your Playstation in the first place? And I mean -just- chat not involving a game you are going to be immediately playing. The functionality of this system is just going to be so very, very tiny.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Abomination said:
So far people have only provided apples and oranges examples, but none tackle exactly the scenario in which this function will be used. How often do you chat with someone using your Playstation in the first place? And I mean -just- chat not involving a game you are going to be immediately playing. The functionality of this system is just going to be so very, very tiny.
Well considering we have yet to have this chat function in place. I can't say. But I think I would use it, cause I mean. Why not? So what if we're playing different games. It's still fun to chat with friends.

Honestly I am starting to think you have a problem with the very idea of chatting with friends...

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Korten12 said:
Abomination said:
Well considering we have yet to have this chat function in place. I can't say. But I think I would use it, cause I mean. Why not? So what if we're playing different games. It's still fun to chat with friends.
It sure is, I'm just trying to come to terms with the logistics of chatting with people while you're using a handheld.

Using a gaming station one tends to chat to people who you're playing with using the voice chat, in fact I would say the significant majority of it happens that way.

Yes people like to talk to each other but how many people use the console to just talk to someone else? I ask that because it's somewhat difficult to do that with every game you would use the console for.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Abomination said:
Yes people like to talk to each other but how many people use the console to just talk to someone else? I ask that because it's somewhat difficult to do that with every game you would use the console for.
Oh my god... Your just not getting it. You don't solely use the console to just talk with people. You do it if both people are playing games. Is this really hard to understand, because everyone seems to get it but you. It's a feature. The Vita has and is getting many cross-play games with PS3/4. So you may be sitting in bed, with your vita playing Dead or Alive 5 and someone invites you to party chat just to chill out while playing games.

And hell if it's something like the game Helldivers I mentioned, on the Vita you could play with your PS4 friends.

That's really it. No one is going to go on the console for that sole reason. But Humanity is natively a social people, we like to talk. So is it hard to understand that people may want to talk with each other even if they're on different systems? It shouldn't be. It really shouldn't.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Abomination said:
Korten12 said:
Abomination said:
It sure is, I'm just trying to come to terms with the logistics of chatting with people while you're using a handheld.

Using a gaming station one tends to chat to people who you're playing with using the voice chat, in fact I would say the significant majority of it happens that way.

I don't get what exactly you are trying to argue. I saw you mention something about how would ps4 and vita cross game chat, so Ill just answer that. Ps4 has cross game chat too. I'm sure its not that hard to have the same chat system on two things heck they are already doing so much with vita/ps4 connectivity so why not

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Abomination said:
Korten12 said:
Abomination said:

I have a USB keyboard plugged into my PS3 for typing, and the PS Vita has the touchscreen. I've seen no issues with chatting with friends using text on both systems and doubt the PS4 would be any different, easier in fact I suspect.