Miku Hatsune Makes Her Western Console Debut

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Miku Hatsune Makes Her Western Console Debut

Virtual idol Miku Hatsune hits Western videogames with Project DIVA F with "Black Rock Shooter" and the vocals behind Nyan Cat.

She sold out a Los Angeles concert and captured the hearts of one million English-speaking fans. Miku Hatsune is a virtual singer and Crypton Future Media, INC.'s most popular Vocaloid who can sing any composed song via a program. Today's release of rhythm game Hatsune Miku: Project DIVA F for the PlayStation 3 is Miku's first console debut in the United States. The game is slated for European release on Sept. 4.

Beyond being a rhythm game, Project DIVA F includes two features called the Miku Room and Edit Mode. In the Diva Room, you can interact with other Vocaloid characters with food, music, and games; customize your room with furniture; and buy gifts with DIVA points. Edit Mode allows you to create videos and your own rhythm challenges to songs you own in the game, meaning you can set the rhythm, camera, lip movement, and effects. Colorful backgrounds and dancing characters display on screen while the players tap buttons on the controller in time with the rhythm of the song.

Project DIVA F released in Japan one year ago with a Vita version of the game. The western release includes only the PlayStation 3 version and will be on the PlayStation Network later today.

To gauge interest for a localization, on Mar. 7 SEGA asked people to like and share a Facebook post [https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151538674841796&set=a.133608051795.134727.28248536795&type=1] about Project DIVA F. That post received 25,000 likes and 15,000 shares in three days. The Miku Miku Fever has spread, and it will be interesting to see what computer programs can do in the future.

Source: Polygon [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojBMj2mnj70]

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
Oh crap, it's out today!?
I don't care that it's more masculinity-questioning than MLP:FIM, I enjoyed the demo and I'm going to enjoy the heck out of this game.

DrRockor

Jun 24, 2008
why is the European release a week after the US one? Are they sending over a master copy on a ship or something?

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Dat 2nd song in the demo. Such an earworm. Anyways going now to pick it up.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Woooo~! Miku forever! :3 Anything with more Miku here in the States is a good thing.

Aug 1, 2010
It's too bad I can't play rhythm games for shit or I would be all over this.

The only thing I find weirder than Vocaloids is the inescapable fact that I adore them and their music with ever fiber of my being.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
I got the PS Vita version last month. Been having a blast with it. Managed to clear every song on Hard with an Excellent.

Some of the songs on Extreme are kicking my ass though.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
Vocaloid has always baffled me. Then again, so has a lot of Japan.
Seems to me they're simply cutting out the middle man.

Why use a computer to Auto-Tune some crappy artist when you can just generate the vocals directly? A lot less work for everyone involved, you don't even have to pretend no software is involved!

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
I'm confused, will the Vita version ever come to Europe, or will I have to import if I want to play? I'd rather not get the PS3 version seeing as playing an anime vocaloid rhythm game featuring only-just legal (here in the UK at least) characters with surround sound speakers isn't exactly something I'd want to do.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Hagi said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Why use a computer to Auto-Tune some crappy artist when you can just generate the vocals directly? A lot less work for everyone involved, you don't even have to pretend no software is involved!
Or hey, how about generating dialogue for NPCs? Take some audio samples to base the voices upon, make some generic, personality- and mood-based modifiers so that they don't sound monotone, and with a little time and taste you can get a major amount of NPCs voices, each of which each can sound different from another yet costs a very small fraction compared to real actors. (Optionally, if possible package that software into the modkit/SDK, meaning that many modders can also make their own voices.)

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Dr.Awkward said:
Hagi said:
Soviet Heavy said:

Or hey, how about generating dialogue for NPCs? Take some audio samples to base the voices upon, make some generic, personality- and mood-based modifiers so that they don't sound monotone, and with a little time and taste you can get a major amount of NPCs voices, each of which each can sound different from another yet costs a very small fraction compared to real actors. (Optionally, if possible package that software into the modkit/SDK, meaning that many modders can also make their own voices.)
This is an innovation in video games I've been waiting for for quite some time. Voice acting, when done well, is a great addition to the medium but it put a severe restriction on the amount of dialogue you can have in a game, especially RPG's.

Is this actually what Miku does? I always assumed the vocals were dubbed over by a live singer...

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Alar said:
Woooo~! Miku forever! :3 Anything with more Miku here in the States is a good thing.
I don't really know all that much about the Vocaloid series but the game seems like a solid little title so I suppose it's a good thing it's coming over here.

BTW: I love that avatar, shame the series it over now.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
I've been waiting for this to release for sooooo long!

Definitely picking it up as soon as possible.

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
You are not the only one man. Sure its impressive I guess, but they don't really sing THAT good. That and the uncanny valley is strong with them in concert. Idk maybe I'm just one of those old farts that likes to hear the emotion in people's voices

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
Excuse me, but the proper writing is, "Hatsune Miku". Other than that...

YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!
<youtube=tv4KQbDaCfM>

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
To my surprise that trailer actually makes the game look really brutally difficult. On the other hand, the music is so damn catchy I kinda want to play it anyway.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
major_chaos said:
To my surprise that trailer actually makes the game look really brutally difficult. On the other hand, the music is so damn catchy I kinda want to play it anyway.
Oh trust me, the game IS brutally difficult.

At least it's easier than the first game... you could hit more than 80% of the notes and STILL fail the song.