Microsoft's Penello: Digital DRM (Probably) Won't Be Back

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Microsoft's Penello: Digital DRM (Probably) Won't Be Back

We didn't want the Xbox One to become an awesome pirating machine, Penello claims.

During a NEOGaf Q&A, one user asked Albert Penello, Microsoft's Director of Product Planning, whether or not those pesky digital DRM practices would ever return to the Xbox One. Would there be a once-every-24-hours check in, would Kinect need to be constantly on, would users not be able to share or lend disc games? Penello said he doesn't think those policies are ever coming back, and added that the only reason they existed in the first place was because there was no security on the disc itself, as all the licensing was digital. "When you build that type of model, then you need to make sure people can't install games on a bunch of machines, then unplug them," said Penello. "That would have made us an awesome Pirating machine."

Now Microsoft has gone back to disc based DRM, all those digital policies aren't needed any more. That doesn't mean they won't ever be back [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ypn0y32Ac], but if they do return, it will be because the digital policies returned as well. "You can imagine a world where we have both types of models at the same time," says Penello, but as for making the digital DRM policies retroactive - "which seems to be the issue I hear people worry about," says he - that's not going to happen.

The Xbox One's digital DRM was one of its biggest negatives, and its policy reversal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125204-Microsoft-Drops-Xbox-One-DRM-Restrictions-UPDATED] is one of the reasons why the Xbox One's looking much more palatable now. "You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc," then-Xbox head man Don Mattrick said at the time. "The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you." Here's hoping Penello's right, and that digital DRM isn't due back any time soon.

Source: NEOGaf [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=78612989&postcount=401]

Bazaalmon

Apr 19, 2009
"You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc," then-Xbox head man Don Mattrick said at the time. "The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you."
Who would have thought that Microsoft had such difficulty realizing that people like owning the things that they pay for? I'm shocked at this sudden reversal of fortune!
Still not getting an Xbox One though, although at least they look like they're trying to improve things.

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
First thing I thought...

How about less concerns about pirates and a bit more concern for your customers ? Seems to me that the customer is taken for granted, its just a case of ensuring no one gets anything without MS getting its piece, sorry customers are fickle and are never to be taken for granted.

... plus I didnt see the part where he promised 'that' DRM would never return in any form on the Xbone, did you guys ?

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
A bit off topic.. I know appearence isn't everything, but that thing is just so fucking ugly.

OT, stop shooting yourself in the head with this kind of bullshit, Microsoft. It's not even funny anymore.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
ASnogarD said:
... plus I didnt see the part where he promised 'that' DRM would never return in any form on the Xbone, did you guys ?
The funny thing is, even if we had a solid promise from him, that wouldn't guarantee that Microsoft wouldn't reverse the promise anyway somewhere down the line and put it back in with not so much as a "deal with it". Promises in the gaming industry are like plates in an Italian restaurant: made to be broken.

Even if he did say DRM would never come back I wouldn't accept it as an absolute guarantee. That he was very careful to mention it's still a possibility, I think that says an awful lot about the future of Xbox One.

Phrozenflame500

Dec 26, 2012
Yeah, because as we all know a purely digital store would have to have an always online connection or else piracy would be ramp- oh wait

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Penello said:
"You can imagine a world where we have both types of models at the same time," says Penello, but as for making the digital DRM policies retroactive - "which seems to be the issue I hear people worry about," says he - that's not going to happen.
Imagine? I live in that world already.
The last console generation and Steam; two different models in the same market at the same time.

The problem is when you integrate both forms of DRM onto the same model; the consumer loses all the benefits of either and with it, the incentive to use it rather than just one model or the other.

But stripping the consumer of practical benefits must have been the original plan all along; otherwise, why not stick to the model that worked very well?

Change for the sake of change is stupid. Give us a reason to embrace that change.
Yet, every time we ask for a reason to change, the only answer they can provide amounts to "It's the FUTURE! It's inevitable!"

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Hero in a half shell said:
Promises in the gaming industry are like plates in an Italian restaurant: made to be broken.
Two questions:
1. How many Italian restaurants have you been thrown out of?
2. Are you secretly Thor?

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm not that concerned with them coming back in the XBO. That would bring down the most possible ire at them.

What I am concerned about is the XBO 2 or 3 once we've already amassed an epic library that can't transfer to another machine.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
DataSnake said:
Hero in a half shell said:
Promises in the gaming industry are like plates in an Italian restaurant: made to be broken.
Two questions:
1. How many Italian restaurants have you been thrown out of?
2. Are you secretly Thor?
Thor?

Whatever dost thou mean friend? My name is Dr. Donald Blake. I am but a humble poster on this magnanimous forum. Now if thou would'st excuse me, I must attend to some urgent business involving my brother.

[small]What do you mean no one's seen that clip before? Why it's perfectly viable for anyone to have such insights to the God of Thunder's personal knowledge. THIS PROVES NOTHING![/small]

Ruley

Sep 3, 2010
They know that they can't bring back those policies, right? The backlash and legal action from customers for something that can cost up to $1000 (console, games, accessories, etc...) to change its way of operation. It would be the same as if your car company announced that they're changing the engine in your model of car to be electric. And no, you can't say no. It's an automatic update. What the hell? Now i can't drive long distance and it takes 22 hours to fill up the tank!? It would be PR suicide.

The policies have skipped another generation, consoles are still consoles and are not living room PC's it seems.

If it weren't for console exclusives, i'd tell people to get (or make) a steambox. That way you know what you are getting and have the most control over your hardware, games and how you use them! Not to mention more control over where your money is going. Skimp on hardware to buy more games, which already cost less than console versions, or put more money into hardware to play skyrim in full 1080p glory!

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
mechalynx said:
A bit off topic.. I know appearence isn't everything, but that thing is just so fucking ugly.
Agreed. Don't wanna bed the thing, but if it's gonna be in my lounge it's gonna need a paper bag over it. Whatever happened to sexy curves like the N64?? Do they have no creative flair?

Plus, the fact that they only withdrew such policies after all that negative feedback and piss poor pre-order figures makes me wonder if they have any normal gamers at all under employment of microsoft

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Pretty sure they will try to bring it all back, they just learned not to tell anyone about it.
Say a year down the line borrowed/second hand games get strangely bugged, and Xbox has problems loading games when you aren't online, Kinect slowly becomes mandatory for more and more games,... if they do it slow and obscure enough people will eat it all up and then end up claiming it's a better console for it.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Pretty sure they will try to bring it all back, they just learned not to tell anyone about it.
Say a year down the line borrowed/second hand games get strangely bugged, and Xbox has problems loading games when you aren't online, Kinect slowly becomes mandatory for more and more games,... if they do it slow and obscure enough people will eat it all up and then end up claiming it's a better console for it.
Yeah I figure the same, Microsoft has already proven their willing to do updates the customer doesn't like or want. My XBone preorder was canceled and its funds put into PS4 and 2 more games. Ah well just 2 consoles this cycle until M$ proves with actions that they won't reverse the actions.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
I don't trust it. They can bring it back, under a different name, and people will eat it up. That's just me though. Still not getting that ugly thing. Might get a PS4 later down the line, but PC gaming for now.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Yeah, a DRM that encourages people to pirate is removed therefore people will pirate. as always spinning things your way arent you MS.
And we are back to disc based DRM, so we have to continue destroying our discs and drives because you imagine that pirates who dont need to do that are going to be affected. yeah.....
Pirates would have pirated with or without DRM. the only people your affecting are legitimate users.