SimCity Mac Installation Issues Resolved

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Maxis and EA have found a fix to problems previously preventing gamers from installing the Mac version of SimCity.

Yesterday, gamers trying to install and play the new Mac version of SimCity began <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127315-SimCity-Mac-Launch-Runs-Into-Trouble>reporting problems preventing them from doing both. Given the game's <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122610-EA-Claims-SimCity-Problems-Are-Almost-Behind-Us>turbulent release on PC, there was some understandable concern that the problems of the past would be repeated for Mac users in the present.

Thankfully, a day later, some of the biggest problems seem to have been fixed. Namely, Maxis was able to correct the installation errors many players were struggling with. "We are pleased to advise that the installation-related issues some players experienced with SimCity on Mac have been resolved," said Maxis in a statement. Even with that solved however, there are still others suffering from gameplay and screen resolution problems. These players are currently being directed to the <a rhef=http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/categories/show/232.page>EA forums for tech support.

While it's good news that the Mac version is now installing properly, we can't help but wonder why this was an issue to begin with. We understand, of course, that sometimes bugs and problems manage to slip through a company's quality assurance testing. That said, these issues were substantial in nature and occurred in a game that had already suffered through some catastrophic problems during its original launch on PC. Put shortly, EA and Maxis probably should've made sure things were working perfectly before the Mac version launched, if only to save face after the last fiasco.

Source: <a href=http://www.tuaw.com/2013/08/30/ea-reports-simcity-installation-issues-have-been-resolved/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook>TUAW

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Congrats EA, you now have a game that is broken instead of a game that doesn't work.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
StewShearer said:

[...] Even with that solved however, there are still others suffering from gameplay and screen resolution problems. These players are currently being directed to the <a rhef=http://forum.ea.com/eaforum/categories/show/232.page>EA forums for tech support. [...]
Oh my...

I heard a lot of slimy things from when EA was dealing with the First Simcity launch in relation to their forums.
While the scale won't be as big, I not certain that too many people will be happy with the quality of their support.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
MCerberus said:
Congrats EA, you now have a game that is broken instead of a game that doesn't work.
Truer words never spoken...
Except maybe "High Voltage", that tends to be rather accurate... >.>

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
First hour of the bad news thread: 10 replies.

First hour of the good news thread: 3 replies (with one repeated poster, so it's actually two).

How extremely predictable. Predictable reply content, too. With the ever-predictable post by the guy who spends every EA thread calling it out. >_>

OT: Good to see the server issues are fixed. Any details on the gameplay glitches, or is it Mac users failing settings forever again? (I have stories... Mein Gott, I have stories...)

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
lacktheknack said:

First hour of the good news thread: 3 replies (with one repeated poster, so it's actually two).

How extremely predictable. Predictable reply content, too. With the ever-predictable post by the guy who spends every EA thread calling it out. >_>

OT: Good to see the server issues are fixed. Any details on the gameplay glitches, or is it Mac users failing settings forever again? (I have stories... Mein Gott, I have stories...)
how predictable, the "above-it-all" detached hipster. Bad news always gets more attention than good news (watch Bill Hicks' "positive drug story") its just the way being a human works. If that's somehow beneath you, I recommend trying another race.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
lacktheknack said:

how predictable, the "above-it-all" detached hipster. Bad news always gets more attention than good news (watch Bill Hicks' "positive drug story") its just the way being a human works. If that's somehow beneath you, I recommend trying another race.
You're too late, I already called out my own post in my own post.

And just because it's human nature doesn't mean I have to like it, especially when people say "There is no good news with EA". There totally is, it's just that no one ever pays attention.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
martyrdrebel27 said:
lacktheknack said:

EDIT: hmm, I didn't really come across the way I wanted to. I kinda came across more dickish than I intended, but whatever, it is what it is.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
lacktheknack said:
martyrdrebel27 said:
lacktheknack said:

You're too late, I already called out my own post in my own post.

And just because it's human nature doesn't mean I have to like it, especially when people say "There is no good news with EA". There totally is, it's just that no one ever pays attention.
dammit, I am doing this all wrong haha. Like I tried to say, I wasn't trying to call ou out in such a dickish way, as good of a writer as I am, occasionally human interaction eludes me.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
lacktheknack said:

Or, you know, different time zones / school / work / other stuff.

OT: The one thing i do wonder, if they were able to fix it in a day (and with EA's history that is rather impressive) They must have some idea of the problem. So why did they release the game with the error in question.

There is no way in hell they did not know about it.

Now they just have to fix the rest of the problems with the mac release.

Anyone knows how the PC version doing?

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Longstreet" post="7.826994.20092113 said:
Or, you know, different time zones / school / work / other stuff.

Touche.

OT: The one thing i do wonder, if they were able to fix it in a day (and with EA's history that is rather impressive) They must have some idea of the problem. So why did they release the game with the error in question.

There is no way in hell they did not know about it.

Not necessarily true. Over the summer, I worked for a company that periodically released firmware for a GPS product. About six hours after one update, we had about 1/4 of the units stop working properly. It caught us entirely by surprise, but we had a fixed version up and running in literally two hours.

Depending on the problem, it sometimes can really be that fast.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
lacktheknack said:

Game crippling issues (ala the inability to install the game) on a re-launch of a major AAA game on a new system after the first launch had game crippling issues (enough to get it pulled from store shelves) is an interesting story.

Game maker fixing said issues is not really a story, unless you thought EA were not going to fix the issues.

Maxis deserves no kudos or praise for fixing their own botched launch.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
NiPah said:
lacktheknack said:

Game crippling issues (ala the inability to install the game) on a re-launch of a major AAA game on a new system after the first launch had game crippling issues (enough to get it pulled from store shelves) is an interesting story.

Game maker fixing said issues is not really a story, unless you thought EA were not going to fix the issues.

Maxis deserves no kudos or praise for fixing their own botched launch.
Seeing how people get it in their heads that EA WON'T fix the issues (seriously, read some of the other thread), they at least deserve to have the fixes noticed.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
lacktheknack said:

Its Saturday and I needed to go shopping, give me a break...

Huzzah! EA released a game and it now works! But this does make me wonder what the hell they were doing between the PC and Mac release...

Oh, right! It was trying to get a Always Online server system to work for a game that didn't require it and adds very little to gameplay and who's AI is dumber then the contents of a fucking cowpie!

CONGRATULATIONS EA! YOU'RE WINNER!

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
lacktheknack said:

something i disagree with - i go complain
something i agree with - i continue enjoying it without posting.
everything is very simple and logical.
also while predictable, the replies is still true whether you like them or not.

In my personal opinion the game shouldn't be launched before fixing such problems as wrong resolutions to begin with. if you cant release a product that isnt so bugged it doesn't work dont release at all.