Jack Black Heads Broken Age's Voice Acting Cast

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Jack Black Heads Broken Age's Voice Acting Cast

Richard Horvitz, who was Raz in Psychonauts, also returns to voice a character in Schafer's new game.

Double Fine have revealed a selection of the voice cast for it's upcoming crowdfunding success story: Broken Age [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122957-Double-Fine-Debuts-Broken-Age-Teaser]. Heading up the cast is Tenacious D frontman/School of Rock star/the voice of Eddie Riggs from Brutal Legend Jack Black, and he's joined by some other familiar voices from some of Tim Schafer's prior games, as well as some new talent. Black will provide the voice of a character called "Harm'ny Lightbeard."

Richard Horvitz, who Schafer fans may recognize as the voice of Psychonauts's Raz (as well as the titular Zim in cult classic Invader Zim), will be voicing "The Space Weaver," and Nick Jameson, Day of the Tentacle's Dr. Fred, will voice "Marshal Dune." A few other Brutal Legend voice actors will play some more minor roles in the game, with the exception of Jennifer Hale (Ophelia), who will play "Mom," a major story character.

The new cast members and their roles are as follows:

Kristen Sarkisian as Rocky
David Kaufman as Marek
Catherine Cavadini as Car'l
John Cygan as Spoon
Hynden Walch as Ch't
Kate Higgins as Yarn Pal #2
Jamieson Price as Rommel

You can see what the sound like in the video above. All in all it looks like this game is going to have some very "colorful" characters, with just the right amount of quirk and charm you'd expect from a Schafer game.

Source: YouTube [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqKIWKG7GFY&feature=share]

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I friggin' love Jack Black, he always brings the enthusiasm and I'm completely stoked that he's working on another Double Fine project

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
BrotherRool said:
I friggin' love Jack Black, he always brings the enthusiasm and I'm completely stoked that he's working on another Double Fine project
He oozes excitement and good feelings, it's contagious. I'm happy to know he's working with Double Fine again. His voice work in Brutal Legend was one of the most memorable and enjoyable things about the game.

LordMonty

Badgerlord
Jul 2, 2008
Jack and Tim have a good budy chemistry, but as Jack pretty much said he's only a minor part :) but this all bodes well for the game, as that's a great voice actor line up.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Isn't this the game they've run out of money on several times now and they're still doing things like celebrity voice acting?

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
seditary said:
Isn't this the game they've run out of money on several times now and they're still doing things like celebrity voice acting?
No.

OT: Pretty cool voice acting line-up. They mentioned in their latest update something about trying to call their old "celebrity friends" and "Mr. B." about doing voices so I kinda knew this was coming but pretty cool anyway. Also I think the article headline is a bit misleading because Jack Black won't be a major character in the game, just a relatively minor cameo.

EDIT: For a second I thought that Kristen Sarkisian might be related to everyone's favorite feminist friend but then I noticed that their last names are spelled differently. So that's good. Hopefully she plays a damsel in distress! (joke)

SamTheNewb

Apr 16, 2013
seditary said:
They ran out of money, actually meaning, that they have budgeted it all away, but probably should have saved something for QA and delays.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
seditary said:
Run out of money is a massive overstatement its all accounted for but to say the game has " run out of money" is inaccurate. They are going with greenlight with the first half of the game as they want to be able to make the game that Tim wanted to make,

Should they have budgeted better ? Yeh defiantly.
DO they want to make the best game possible? Also yes.
Did gaming media below everything out of proportion?? Defiantly.

Main problem was i think they underestimated how much the rewards would cost just shipping alone would have been insane, you may notice on kicstarter that any game after this did not have such generous physical rewards this is why.

And Jack Black doing voice in another doublefine game . Awesome!

Then again has anyone ever seen jack black and tim in the same room? Hmmmm interesting :p

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
alj said:
seditary said:
Run out of money is a massive overstatement its all accounted for but to say the game has " run out of money" is inaccurate. They are going with greenlight with the first half of the game as they want to be able to make the game that Tim wanted to make,

Main problem was i think they underestimated how much the rewards would cost just shipping alone would have been insane, you may notice on kicstarter that any game after this did not have such generous physical rewards this is why.

Then again has anyone ever seen jack black and tim in the same room? Hmmmm interesting :p
You REALLY need to look up the difference between definitely and defiantly.

http://captainvendetta.deviantart.com/art/Definitely-Defiantly-Know-the-Difference-314261557

Sight Unseen

The North Remembers
Nov 18, 2009
alj said:
seditary said:

Yes. In that video in the article xD They look like long lost brothers.

I feel like everyone should read this article by Kotaku: http://kotaku.com/tim-schafers-great-video-game-experiment-1228121826

It clears up a lot of the reasons why everyone thinks that this game "ran out of money" or is spending too much. This portion especially makes it obvious.

Interviewer: What did the initial $400,000 version of Broken Age look like?

Schafer: Well, it essentially looked like a documentary. With an example game, you know, a small? it would've looked like? have you ever seen the Flash games on our website? 3

Interviewer: Yeah.

Schafer: Some of those games were done by Nathan Stapely, the artist who did the surfing video game in there? And it would've been a game that looked a lot like those games, maybe even in Flash. The point of doing it would be just enough game so that we could've made a fun documentary about how we make games. The original project was like, [2 Player Productions said], 'We want to make a documentary about you guys, making the game,' and we added on the game as an afterthought. Well, we should probably have a game funded by this Kickstarter too, so that we can be totally free to tell the whole story.4

Interviewer: So then it became, "Oh, well, now we have enough to make an actual game?"

Schafer: That was an interesting change, and that was a conscious choice. That's what a lot of this "event" has been about, a conscious choice to make the game that would stand up alongside of Brutal Legend, not in scope but in terms of like, where I think of the games I've made, that it's on par with Brutal and Psychonauts and Grim Fandango and all those games. It's no longer just a little example just to make a documentary about.

Interviewer: So it's closer in terms of scale to those games than to the amnesia fortnight games you guys did?

Schafer: The original budget, after you take out rewards and the documentary and a lot of things, came to about two million dollars for the game itself. And that's about the size of Stacking or Costume Quest. In terms of budget. I mean Grim [Fandango] was about three million dollars in 1998. The eventual budget [of Broken Age] might be comparable to Grim Fandango, adjusted for inflation.

The game they were originally going to make was going to be pretty crappy, made in flash probably with no frills. It was basically a game made just to show how a game is made for the documentary. When they made 3 million dollars, they made the conscious decision to instead make a much bigger and better game. A game that is worthy of the double fine name. This obviously costs more than a crappy flash game. They're putting more money into the game than just the kickstarter money. Pretty much all of their profits from Brutal Legend PC and their humble bundle and amnesia fortnight are going into this as well. They just need to start getting a return on investment for the game soon because making a game is expensive. So they're going to release half of their game (which is probably WAY bigger and better than the WHOLE game would have been for the original $400,000 goal) as an early access title. Backers will have access to it for free, and new people can buy it from Steam. Then they will use that money (as well as their own money) to finish the game and release it as a free update to all backers and early adopters.

They are GOING to finish the game no matter what, the only thing that will change is how much of their own money they'll have to invest back into it. Backers aren't getting screwed, non-backers aren't getting screwed, and Double Fine hasn't run out of money. The media just massively blew it out of proportion.

JSoup

Jun 14, 2012
More interested in Richard Horvitz being in the game, but Jack Black....I'm not a huge fan of him, but he does make a pretty good voice actor.