DS Gets Its First 18 Rated Game In The UK

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
DS Gets Its First 18 Rated Game In The UK

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars has been confirmed as the platform's very first 18 rated game in the UK.

MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/32892/GTA-gives-DS-its-first-18-rated-title] reports that the latest installment in the juggernaut of the GTA franchise is the Nintendo DS's first and only 18-rated game.

A sneaky peak at the BBFC [http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/0/BAEA7A0AEE438867802575390040EAD8?OpenDocument ] entry for the game shows that it passed without the need for edits and contains nearly three hours of cutscenes, oh and apparently it contains 'very strong language and drug references'.

Whether this will open the door for more adult-themed DS games isn't clear, but it's nice to see that there is room in Nintendo's 'family friendly' policy for the occasional foul-mouthed junkie.

Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is released in March in the UK and North America.

Lukeje

Feb 6, 2008
I'd have thought that that would just encourage minors to want to buy it...

Lanowar

Oct 10, 2007
Yep that's usually the case with most UK games a HUGE age rating on the side. It does actually work though because it's the ratings parents assoicate with movies.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Saphatorael said:
If that pic is the actual box art... they apparently want to be really sure no minors can get their hands on this o.o
And still, you're going to have little Timmy's parents on the trashy current affairs show, spouting the evils of this child's game...

As for this, it just means either us Aussies are going to get a watered down version of the game, or not getting it at all.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
It's exactly the same "giant 18" symbol used on the covers of certain DVDs (not all, most get away with the traditional size that fits on the spine of a VHS tape), and on all 18-certificate games as of late. When dealing with the DS, however, and the smaller cover, it does take up a much larger relative area...

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Hmm... A DS game that is 18...

Thank god.

Thank god that Nintendo hasn't forced them to cut everything out to make their family friendly console even more family friendly.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That's actually kind of sad when I think about it.

I mean, the first 18+ game in the UK? Surely there were some other contenders for the rating?

But I'm being pompous, it's not going to do much to the actual game anyway.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Jumplion said:

I mean, the first 18+ game in the UK? Surely there were some other contenders for the rating?

the first 18+ game on the DS.

so what happens when people start hearing that "very strong language" in public places?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
cobra_ky said:
Jumplion said:

so what happens when people start hearing that "very strong language" in public places?
Yeah, I get that it's on the DS and all that, but I just kind of pity the ratings board for this. I don't know why though...

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Jumplion said:
cobra_ky said:
Jumplion said:

Yeah, I get that it's on the DS and all that, but I just kind of pity the ratings board for this. I don't know why though...
oic.

i honestly can't think of any other games on the DS that even come close to a Mature (17+?) rating. (well, except hentai games. but those don't count. they never count.)

curlycrouton

Jul 13, 2008
thenumberthirteen said:
If GTA didn't have an 18 rating then it just wouldn't be GTA.
It wouldn't even be called Grand Theft Auto. It'd be called Loitering With Intent or Littering or something like that.