Minecraft Builder Constructs Full Scale USS Voyager

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Minecraft Builder Constructs Full Scale USS Voyager

Reddit user Maravrin has built a highly detailed Minecraft version of titular ship from Star Trek: Voyager.

You may recall earlier this year when we <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123250-Minecraft-Meets-Star-Trek-In-Hyper-Detailed-Enterprise-Replica>reported on the completion of an impressive Minecraft project that saw the creation of a 1:6 scale replica of the USS Enterprise from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Now, just in case that wasn't enough to satisfy your inner Trekkie, we happily present you a full scale version of the USS Voyager from Star Trek: Voyager.

Built by Reddit user Maravrin, this replica of the Voyager was built using the complete deck plans for the fictional star ship. In turn, visitors to the ship (he posted download links for the project) should be able to find pretty much everything the ship was supposed to have had on the show. We haven't take an up-close-and-personal look ourselves, but we have watched a corresponding YouTube video that shows off the project during its various stages of completion, as well as highlighting several of the important areas aboard the ship.

According to Maravrin the project took a "little over two years" to complete, and while they aren't opposed to building more Minecraft replicas in the future, they'll probably select something "much smaller." Considering the time and dedication this beast took we can't blame them. In the mean time, we have no doubt there are more than a few Trek fans eager to take a tour of Maravrin's Voyager. It might not be real, but it's probably as close to actual thing as we're ever going to get.

[gallery=1745]

Source: PCGamer

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
The dedication and ambition of some Minecraft players never ceases to amaze. That is impressive work and a wonder that at no point did he yell "Bollocks to this!" and quit.

Noswad

Mar 21, 2011
First Enterprise now Voyager, hope we get to see the Defiant or maybe even Deep Space Nine itself rendered in blocky goodness, awesome work.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Teoes said:
The dedication and ambition of some Minecraft players never ceases to amaze. That is impressive work and a wonder that at no point did he yell "Bollocks to this!" and quit.
I suspect that 9 times out of 10 that really does happen.

It makes the 10th one all the more amazing.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I wonder if he ever used Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force as a reference. The expansion pack for that game came with a full Voyager you could explore. It was a ton of fun.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Is this the finished version of the old old vid where a fellow had made just the skeleton of the thing?

Impressive either way!

Been playing a bit recently myself and this makes my dwarven mausoleum that took me about 5 hours (this is a REALLY long time compared to my usual MC projects) look like uninspired drivel.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
That's an awful lot of time spent making the the ship from one of the worst Star Trek series.

Still kind of cool though.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
Vivi22 said:
That's an awful lot of time spent making the the ship from one of the worst Star Trek series.

Oh, I got so ninja'd on that one.

Amazing work, crappy, crappy show with by far the worst captain EVER!

McMullen

Mar 9, 2010
Awesome work. Didn't the Minecrafter who made the Enterprise D get a C&D letter from Paramount though? Should this person expect the same?

Also, I'm not entirely sure where the disdain for Voyager comes from. Can someone explain it?

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
McMullen said:
Awesome work. Didn't the Minecrafter who made the Enterprise D get a C&D letter from Paramount though? Should this person expect the same?

Also, I'm not entirely sure where the disdain for Voyager comes from. Can someone explain it?
There is so much incomprehensible gobbeldy gook in voyager, for one. Sure, TNG had its heisenberg compensators and baryon sweeps, but by the time voyager rolled around it seemed that every charachter would rattle off an endless list of meaningless technical jargon.

But mostly, its because voyager is not TNG, and different is bad when it comes to media consumption by fans.

Sidmen

Jul 3, 2012
Vivi22 said:

Eh, it's pretty much the middle-ground as far as the series' go. Below Deep Space Nine and The Next Generation, while being above Enterprise and The Original Series.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Sidney Buit said:
Vivi22 said:

Eh, it's pretty much the middle-ground as far as the series' go. Below Deep Space Nine and The Next Generation, while being above Enterprise and The Original Series.
I don't think I'd put it above the original series. Maybe (big MAYBE) if you try and compare apples to oranges the original series to a show that had the benefit of coming out decades later, but even then, the original series had some excellent episodes though, and deserves a lot of credit for being a rather landmark piece of science fiction. Hell, I'd go so far as to say it has more episodes worth watching than Voyager did. And Voyager's best episodes tended to be ones that riffed off of older Trek episodes, but did a worse job of it.

Vedli

Jul 5, 2013
Sidney Buit said:
Vivi22 said:

Er no, I think you'll find the original series is leaps and bounds ahead of Voyager. I'll happily watch the first season of TOS over the first 4 seasons of Voyager. /Nerd Rage

Snowbell

Apr 13, 2012
Is there actually a good RPG set aboard the Enterprise C (I think that's the Next Gen one) or the Voyager? I'm talking Mass Effect style where you're mainly first person and exploring the ship/planet rather than controlling an armada of ships. I would play the hell out of that, especially looking at how fantastic it looks even in Minecraft :<

Looks like there's a gen war going on too. I'm throwing my lot in for Next Gen and Voyager!