BioShock Studio Lays Off Staff

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
BioShock Studio Lays Off Staff

Irrational Games, the studio behind the BioShock franchise, has confirmed that a small number of employees have been let go.

Reflecting the volatile nature of the game development business, Irrational Games confirmed today that it has cut its workforce by a small amount. "In an effort to streamline our processes I am sad to confirm that we let go a total of eight employees today," a studio rep told Kotaku. "Any studio's greatest asset is the group of people that make up the whole, and as such it was extremely hard to make this decision and there is never a good time for this to happen. As co-workers and friends, we wish them the very best."

I suppose the fact that only eight employees were affected qualifies as good news, but it's still sad to hear about job losses in the industry, especially at a studio that's had as much success as Irrational. The studio is best known for creating BioShock but has also developed SWAT 4, Freedom Force, Tribes: Vengeance and a little something called System Shock 2.

Irrational also said that the layoffs would not affect the development of either of the two Burial At Sea [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126433-BioShock-Infinites-Burial-at-Sea-Returns-to-Rapture] DLC packs for BioShock Infinite that are currently in production.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/layoffs-at-bioshock-developer-irrational-games-1257449358]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I'm sick of that term "they were let go". No they weren't. They were fired. They didn't want to go. If they wanted to go they would have left on their own. They're not slaves. Don't sugarcoat it.

Robeltu

Sep 19, 2012
Adam Jensen said:
I'm sick of that term "they were let go". No they weren't. They were fired. They didn't want to go. If they wanted to go they would have left on their own. They're not slaves. Don't sugarcoat it.
But speaking from experience, when searching for a new job it is better to say you've been laid off than been fired. Employees can be laid off for many reasons that aren't because of the employee themselves but being fired insinuates that you personally have done something to be fired over.

And in a job market as heavily broadcast as the games industry. If you were being laid off you wouldn't want a big article on the Escapist saying that you were fired, you couldn't even try and say you were laid off if information like that is so readily available.

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Well, despite it being only eight people, that's still eight people who lost their jobs due to cuts which is always sad.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Being laid off or let go means the position you were working in has been eliminated, and you with it. Being fired means that you, personally, were removed and your position will be filled by someone else. They're not really comparable.

Atary77

Feb 27, 2008
I wish the best for those folks in the hope they can can find new jobs soon. Having Bioshock on your resume is certainly to draw the right kind of attention.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
I think you're reading a bit too literally into a figure of speech.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Adam Jensen said:
I think you're reading a bit too literally into a figure of speech.
Pretty much use this as an example. Real long time ago you got your ass kicked by some dude outside of a store. Of course the injuries you got were so bad, you had to go to the hospital. Then the guy that beat you up, told everybody that he didn't really touch you. Eventually he just uses the phrase, "well he had a little scuffle." Can tell you that you would be pissed off. There you are, in hospital, learning that the injuries you sustained were from a little scuffle. Seriously pisses me off when people use nice words to do shitty things. Even though they have the right to let them go, just say you laid them off. Really don't need to go into this little song and dance about how great they were, blah, blah. Very much needed for the company, a great help, then why didn't you let other people go. Eventually everybody thinks that when people get laid off, it was needed, that's not always the case.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Being fired and being let go are not the same thing even though the end results are. Being fired means you've done something to piss off the bosses so they booted you out. Being let go means they wanted to keep you around but for whatever reason, they couldn't. This small difference has significant meaning when searching for a new place of employment.