Xbox Live Rewards Program Adds Cash Rewards

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Xbox Live Rewards Program Adds Cash Rewards

In place of Microsoft Points, Microsoft adds Rewards Credits and the ability to convert it to cash.

"The more you do, the more you get" is the motto of Xbox Live Rewards. With its revamp, members are awarded rewards credits for completing various tasks and, of course, buying games. When users earn at least 5,000 credits, those credits are converted to the user's local currency. For example, in the U.S., 5,000 credits equals $5. You can only earn the reward credits as an Xbox Live Rewards member.

Microsoft provides a few examples of reward-earning activity on their Xbox Live Rewards page. Renewing an Xbox Live Gold membership earns you 3,000 credits, referring other people to the program is 1,000 credits, playing a new game for 10 hours within 30 days of its release is also 1,000 credits, making your first Xbox store purchase is 1,250 points, and taking a monthly survey is 250 points. The MyPunchcard system is still in place; when a member completes the criteria associated with an offer, they receive the reward. For example, completing the My Movies and TV Punchcard, a member is awarded 3,000 credits. Building up a gamerscore also earns a three percent Xbox Store rebate. Rewards credits will not be converted to real currency until the you have at least 5,000 credits. Until that point, the amount will be considered as pending. The local currency is deposited into your Microsoft account between the 15th and 30th of each month.

Rewards credits do not disappear, but the cash deposited into a Microsoft account expires in June 2015. Signing up for the rewards program is free and takes a few days to confirm eligibility.

Source: Xbox Rewards [http://rewards.xbox.com/]

Story

Note to self: Prooof reed posts
Sep 4, 2013
Interesting, just like every other big business you get a "rewards card" for, when you buy enough you get a little bit back. Too bad you have to be a Gold Account member, then again you have to be one to use the stuff on live anyway. The way these things are though I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft gave points to people who watch ads.

Also, there is a heck of a lot of Microsoft news today. The soon release of the One notwithstanding.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
There are plenty of people that want to be paid to play videogames, and this is their chance. Awful nice of MS to give them the chance to do so. For me I never liked referral programs. In this case making their subscribers do their work of advertising for them. Not exactly pure intentions as they get something for it. None the less for those that hunt trophies this is a great system. Hours of gameplay gives you points as well as prestige. Although the movie and TV aspect is abit troubling. MAKING people watch TV with commercials no doubt. I think this is where people think the Kinect will be watching to you to make sure you are there.

llamastorm.games

Apr 10, 2008
Cue people complaining that it's only mere pennies or some other complaint.
Despite the fact it's free to enter and you will receive some points for basically going about your daily business and the fact that the 2-3% cashback scheme is much higher than what most any other retailers will give you ie. supermarket loyalty cards which give less than 1% back. The playing a game for 10 hours within 30 days of purchase for 1000 points is especially good.

Before it changed i think i made about 1400 msp in about 2 years which is just fine by me

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
nice to have the Rewards program back :) points just for playing a new game? oh that's a real nice addition haha

scarab7

Jun 20, 2009
Only pertains to Xbox Live Reward members, so a subscription is necessary. Along side that 5000 points = $1? Seems like an arbitrary way to try and keep money in house.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
llamastorm.games said:
Cue people complaining that it's only mere pennies or some other complaint.
Despite the fact it's free to enter and you will receive some points for basically going about your daily business and the fact that the 2-3% cashback scheme is much higher than what most any other retailers will give you ie. supermarket loyalty cards which give less than 1% back. The playing a game for 10 hours within 30 days of purchase for 1000 points is especially good.

Before it changed i think i made about 1400 msp in about 2 years which is just fine by me
First of all, how do you come to the figure of "2-3% cashback"?

Yeah, playing a brand new game for 10 hours within 30 days of release (not purchase as you wrote, HUGE difference) gives you ONE DOLLAR! HOLY CRAP, WE ARE SWIMMING IN MONEY!

The truth is that MS is cheap and their rewards programs, free games (Games with Gold is a goddamn joke) and whatnot pale in comparison to Sony's PSN+.

I got this kind of cash thing when my recent MS points rewards came and I redeemed it to Swedish currency. The most idiotic thing ever happened next when I tried to use it to pay for some DLC. It wasn't enough. I figured I could just empty my "Xbox Live credit reserve" or whatever and then put the balance on my VISA card, but nooooooooo. I have to find a marketplace item that costs what used to be 160 MS points or less. Just fantastic...

Their program is pathetic and they only get away with it because of sycophantic people with no ability to think critically.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
MinionJoe said:
llamastorm.games said:
The playing a game for 10 hours within 30 days of purchase for 1000 points is especially good.
Unless the newly released game has less than ten hours of gameplay...

But then you could still sell the game at GameStop for five bucks (instead of a few pennies)...

At least until the XB1 is released and the resale of games is curtailed...
I would assume it just checks how long the game is running much like Steam and it's card system. If you buy an indie game that's got 1 hour of gameplay you could always leave the menu screen/ 1st level screen on and go to bed. When you wake up you'll have your 1000 points.

On topic: This is fantastic news for gamers.
Gotta love anything that helps fund your hobby even if it's just a couple of dollars here or there.
This is the first legitimate news that would make me potentially favour an Xbone over a PS4.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
Honestly this system is pretty generous and it's not just a few pennies. Now I'm sure there are a good number of people that won't bother but there are lots of folks who will. From what I can see you could easily get $50 back a year that is a free game just for playing what you enjoy. This is a fairly generous offer in terms of a reward program. People may be pissed with MS but really they are trying from what I can see to improve their imagine. Yeah I know they are doing it to make money but Duh! of course they are but they seem to be listening and if you are into xbox frankly that has to be nice.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
You have bought a game - achievement.
Oh my, Podtoid promised this in 2007 and now its a reality.

dakkster said:
Yeah, playing a brand new game for 10 hours within 30 days of release (not purchase as you wrote, HUGE difference) gives you ONE DOLLAR! HOLY CRAP, WE ARE SWIMMING IN MONEY!
Buy humble bundle - 6 games for 1 dollar.
leave it on for 6 nights.
5 dollars profit!

Yeah, electricity is going to cost you more :D

llamastorm.games said:
supermarket loyalty cards which give less than 1% back.
Erm? We have 5 large sueprmarkets here. just the fact that you have thier card (which is free) you get 1-4% back. Sicne i usually show in a signle one (i like its supply) i got the "buy x per month" loyalty boosting it to 5%. if your supermarket gives you less than 1% and that troubles you - change supermarket.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
misg said:
From what I can see you could easily get $50 back a year that is a free game just for playing what you enjoy.
Please show the rest of us how you figure 50 bucks is "easy" to get back through this program in one year and then tell us which and how many gamers are going to actually manage to do that.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
Giving costumers currency that can only be used at YOUR store in exchange for real money is a great business decision. I'm surprised it took them this long to implement it.

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
dakkster said:
misg said:
From what I can see you could easily get $50 back a year that is a free game just for playing what you enjoy.
Please show the rest of us how you figure 50 bucks is "easy" to get back through this program in one year and then tell us which and how many gamers are going to actually manage to do that.
The ones who always buy day 1 and trade back within a week.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Elberik said:
dakkster said:
misg said:
Yeah... you know, they're not a big bunch. They're a very small minority.

And even when they are in a minority, I never had any customers who bought almost 50 brand new games a year and traded them in within a couple of weeks. That's what's needed to "easily get $50 back a year". 50 x $60 = $3000. No one spends that kind of cash on games. I've never seen it working at GameStop at least.

So I ask again, how does one "easily get $50 back a year"?

Elberik

Apr 26, 2011
dakkster said:
Elberik said:
dakkster said:
misg said:

And even when they are in a minority, I never had any customers who bought almost 50 brand new games a year and traded them in within a couple of weeks. That's what's needed to "easily get $50 back a year". 50 x $60 = $3000. No one spends that kind of cash on games. I've never seen it working at GameStop at least.

While yes I agree that no gamer buys 50 $60 games a year, I don't see that being suggested.
That equation is misleading in that it's suggests the costumer isn't trading in games. As a Gamestop employee you should know that gamers often trade in games for store credit. I've saved over $100 this year alone and I've only bought 4 new titles.
True, in order to get the best rewards you have to spend a lot but that's the deal with every costumer-loyalty-rewards program. You have to spend money to save money.

dakkster

Aug 22, 2011
Elberik said:
dakkster said:
Elberik said:
dakkster said:
misg said:

While yes I agree that no gamer buys 50 $60 games a year, I don't see that being suggested.
That equation is misleading in that it's suggests the costumer isn't trading in games. As a Gamestop employee you should know that gamers often trade in games for store credit. I've saved over $100 this year alone and I've only bought 4 new titles.
True, in order to get the best rewards you have to spend a lot but that's the deal with every costumer-loyalty-rewards program. You have to spend money to save money.
You don't see that being suggested? It's what's needed, minus a game if you do all the surveys, if you want to save 50 bucks through the customer rewards program, which you stated would be easy. You can't wrangle yourself out of this one. It was your statement :)

Of course people trade in games at GameStop and wherever else they can. My point is they don't buy 50 brand new games a year and then trade them in within a few weeks. And again, that's what's needed to get the obscene amount of rewards points to get 50 bucks in savings. No one does that because it's not worth it.