Activision Publishing CEO Decries Death Threats Against Devs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Activision Publishing CEO Decries Death Threats Against Devs

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/DavidVonderhaar/statuses/359662272500609026]​
Activision Publishing CEO Eric Hirshberg says threats of physical violence against game developers are "absurd" but admits that he doesn't know how the industry could go about making them stop.

Treyarch Design Director David Vonderhaar probably had no idea what was in store when he announced that the fire time of one of the Black Ops 2 weapons had been changed from 0.2 seconds to 0.4 seconds, and in his defense it hardly seems like the sort of thing that would fire threats of violence and death against him and his family. And yet editorial [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126301-Call-of-Duty-Developer-Gets-Death-Threats-After-New-Patch] entitled simply, "Stop Threatening Game Developers."

But actually convincing people to stop behaving badly is a hard thing to do, especially when your audience is as big as that of the Call of Duty franchise. "Call of Duty is a game that 40 million people will play this month. First off, anything that 40 million people will do is going to result in maybe a few behaving in way that you wish they wouldn't," Hirshberg told OXM. "I love that we have a passionate audience, people who are engaged and opinionated, that's a gift for people being creative. But some people took things way too far, and threats of physical violence is absurd and I obviously do not accept it."

Hirshberg said game developers actually appreciate hearing negative feedback about their games because it helps them make better games in the future, but the interconnectivity that allows gamers and game makers such unprecedented access to one another also makes it almost impossible to stop the abuse. And aside from asking gamers to maintain some sense of perspective when they criticize, he really doesn't know what else can be done.

"I don't know how the industry could, as you say, 'make a stand'," he said. "I don't know what that looks like, or how it could even be done, when you have this mass of ways to connect and huge communities attached to digital ecosystems."

Source: OXM [http://www.oxm.co.uk/61805/activisions-publishing-ceo-eric-hirshberg-speaks-out-against-david-vonderhaar-death-threats/]

Raziel

Jul 20, 2013
I don't know what could be done to address it. But I wonder why they don't press charges against some of these people. With as many death threats and things they were getting surely some of them could be traced back to specific person. Maybe if people started facing fines and things they would get there act together. I can understand if them tweaking your favorite gun made you swear at the tv. But there is no excuse to make death threats and doing so against their kids, yeah that should get you some personal time with the police.

Perhaps the companies could do more to distance these announcements from specific people. Maybe having the announcements just sourced as coming from "Treyarch" rather than "Design Director David Vonderhaar".

CriticKitten said:
The problem is a lack of parenting. Parents just don't seem to give a shit what their kids do or say any more. I see it every day in my classroom.
I'm personally betting a large number of the threats are coming from adults. Personally, I think anyone that threatens the guys family rather then him seems more likely to be an adult rather than a kid.

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
CriticKitten said:
The problem is a lack of parenting. Parents just don't seem to give a shit what their kids do or say any more. I see it every day in my classroom.

Ergo, the obvious solution is to be the parent yourself, in lieu of the parent's refusal to do so.

"Oh, you threatened our devs with murder? You're grounded, mister. That's a two week account ban from our servers. Now you can't play CoD via online multiplayer, since you're so intent on murdering our devs. Hopefully next time you'll express your disagreement in more constructive ways."

Normally I'm not okay with people getting banned from access to the games they bought, but when you start bringing death threats into the equation, I'm sorry, but that should be taken seriously and dealt with in a serious fashion. Kids need to learn how to express their displeasure in ways that don't involve graphic descriptions of how they'd like to hurt, maim, or murder someone they don't like.
Something to keep in mind is that it may well be an expression of the Online Disinhibition Effect [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_disinhibition_effect], otherwise known as the Greater Internet Fuckwad Theory [http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/325/699/4fc.jpg].

Generally reasonable people can turn into psychopaths when under the veil of anonymity and without a tangible risk of consequence. It's a sad fact of the internet and human nature. I'm not sure there's really a way to put a stop to it without destroying the basis of the internet.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's sad that something as simple as "Stop being a hateful whiny fuckhead over the littlest shit" eludes these people so much that it's newsworthy.

...Or maybe that's the problem. They do it because it gets attention.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
You know how we are increasing in the ownership of digital copies of games? I think it would be fair to make or amend EULAs to where if a person decides to attack a developer with acts of violence or death threats, then their rights of usage and ownership of that game (or to go further, any of the games from that publisher or developer) are forfeit. Can't take change or developer's opinions about things, and you can't be civil about it? Well then, you'll become a non-customer that can no longer buy anything from them anymore - And before you think you can hide behind anonymity and continue your rampage, they have your CC number, DOB and maybe even SS on record, so creating an alt account to get around your ban would likely put you on the grounds of identity theft and/or fraud.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Kind of off topic, but this guy is the CEO of Activision? What happened to Kotick? Is that greedy bastard out of the business?

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
To those trying to find the single reason that turds exist on the internet, I'd like to add a new option: ANY OR ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Any one of those reasons is enough to destroy a mortal soul, so think about what happens when multiple reasons collide. No individual can fix it, and even groups will fail. The internet will be a cesspool for millennia longer than any of us will be on this planet, as will bad parents, or the existence of pure stupidity.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Genocidicles said:
Kind of off topic, but this guy is the CEO of Activision? What happened to Kotick? Is that greedy bastard out of the business?
Huh, now that I read that, it makes me wonder too. Maybe Kotick was put in by Vivendi, and then when Activision bought itself from Vivendi, he lost his position and Hirshberg came in?

Sep 14, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Andy Chalk said:
"I don't know how the industry could, as you say, 'make a stand'," he said. "I don't know what that looks like, or how it could even be done, when you have this mass of ways to connect and huge communities attached to digital ecosystems."

Ergo, the obvious solution is to be the parent yourself, in lieu of the parent's refusal to do so.

"Oh, you threatened our devs with murder? You're grounded, mister. That's a two week account ban from our servers. Now you can't play CoD via online multiplayer, since you're so intent on murdering our devs. Hopefully next time you'll express your disagreement in more constructive ways."

Normally I'm not okay with people getting banned from access to the games they bought, but when you start bringing death threats into the equation, I'm sorry, but that should be taken seriously and dealt with in a serious fashion. Kids need to learn how to express their displeasure in ways that don't involve graphic descriptions of how they'd like to hurt, maim, or murder someone they don't like.
i'm going to agree with raziel, i can't tell you how many man-children i've played with online and know in person, that are immature fuckwads, and because they are old/live on their own now, they have just become worse because "we're adults now, we can do what we want."

granted that does come back to parenting, but that's obviously long past overdue for them, and i'm just pointing out that children aren't the only ones who make threats and such without realizing the gravity of it.

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
...Wasn't this already posted? A month or more ago?

Uhm. This is rather late to the party.

OT: I concur.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
Honestly, when game devs receive threats for minor balance tweaks to a game, I think they should nerf that aspect of the game into oblivion for awhile. People getting riled up because their weapon fires .02 seconds slower? Make it the slowest firing weapon in the game for a couple months to throw off their play-style. Hurray for being spiteful!

Gearhead mk2

Aug 1, 2011
Raziel said:
I don't know what could be done to address it. But I wonder why they don't press charges against some of these people.
Hey, remember that LoL player that got jailed for six months despite no evidence at all during which he had to be moved to solitary confinement for his own safety and was only let out after someone paid half a million in bail? Because he put a message on Facebook? I'd like that to NOT happen again. I agree, these guys need to be punished, but jailing them seems a bit much.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
This doesn't surprise me: just look at this picture of a senior Activision exec:
[http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/149666-slowpoke]

In any case, we have this week's contender for most obvious statement. Also Lyte from Riot really needs to publish a book

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Church185 said:
Honestly, when game devs receive threats for minor balance tweaks to a game, I think they should nerf that aspect of the game into oblivion for awhile. People getting riled up because their weapon fires .02 seconds slower? Make it the slowest firing weapon in the game for a couple months to throw off their play-style. Hurray for being spiteful!
You know that's the best solution I've heard off. Since the game is what matters so much to these idiots that's where you can hit them where it hurts. Problem is that could easily be exploited by people who want weapons nerfed.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
I just wonder what would happen if all those people that make death threats over the internet would do if they got put in jail for them (at least here, making a death threat with given proof is jail-worthy) Since things like this, or the Bioware writer thing are directed towards a specific person.