Torchlight 2 Devs Have "No Plans" For Console Release

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Torchlight 2 Devs Have "No Plans" For Console Release

Torchlight 2 developers Runic Games say that a version of the game for current or next-gen consoles is unlikely.

Torchlight best known as "that Diablo II clone" when it was released in 2009, quickly became a smash hit when people realized that it was a better Diablo than Diablo. An Xbox 360 version followed in 2011, and a PS3 version was planned, but later scrapped. So, when its sequel, Torchlight 2 came around in 2012, people naturally assumed we'd see an Xbox version at least. But it never came, and it probably never will, as Runic games have told VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/05/runic-games-has-no-plans-to-bring-torchlight-2-to-current-or-next-gen-consoles/] that it has "no plans" for a release on current or next-gen consoles.

While Runic stresses that the game has been hugely successful, you can't help but wonder what the release of Diablo III around the same time as Torchlight 2 did to its sales forecasts. Additionally, Blizzard have just released an Xbox 360 and PS3 version of Diablo III, with a next-gen version to follow sometime next year.

The developer is apparently still planning to release a Mac version of Torchlight 2, but has run into some "unexpected complexities," and is quite busy trying to "scramble to ramp up on [its] next project and get it moving forward," that it cannot offer a release window at this time.

Runic announced that back in June that Torchlight 2 had sold over 2 million copies since its PC release.

With Diablo III's expansion pack right around the corner, and considering Diablo III monstrous sales success, its probably best for Runic to focus on a new project, rather than continue to support Torchlight 2.

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2013/09/05/runic-games-has-no-plans-to-bring-torchlight-2-to-current-or-next-gen-consoles/]

Ferisar

Oct 2, 2010
Continued support isn't really something they shouldn't do, but releasing a console version does seem entirely pointless. Most of the limitations that Torchlight 2 bypassed (unlikely D3), would be present on consoles, modding especially. The D3 expansion is likely slated for next year, so the TL2 team has time for the Mac release and maybe something small to stick in there, but the sentiment of having a new project to work in is shared here, although I'm sure they've thought of what they're doing at this point.

Also, better Diablo than Diablo? Oh you tease and bait but I'm not getting into this little "discussion" again :p

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Wait didn't they say this is going to consoles at some point... then again they might have missed the window with that one, game was cheap from the start so at this point they would probably get very little back for their effort.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Awww durn. Would have been fun on a controller. : (

I could live without mods. This isn't a Bethesda game where the vanilla game is almost broken without them.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
piinyouri said:

I could live without mods. This isn't a Bethesda game where the vanilla game is almost broken without them.
Might be possible with Xpadder if it doesn't already have controller support (I haven't checked). What you'd need is some way to lock the mouse to the character though so you don't require mouse aim, but with the ample modding support I can see it being doable.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Crippling fear of money and success? If they're busy on other things that's fair enough - they've no obligation.

Plus I have it on PC :3 Although I had to force myself to put it down, as I'd just not play anything else.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
Finally, a company willing to refrain from dumbing down their game for the console market.

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Teoes said:
Crippling fear of money and success? If they're busy on other things that's fair enough - they've no obligation.
I assume they didn't bother with a PS3 version of the original or consoles versions of 2 simply because sales didn't make it worth it.

Their business calculations would be along the lines of: is our time better spent porting over to consoles or working on other platforms (like Mac) or moving onto our next project?

Seems they determined the latter two would provide the best return for investment.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
That's very strange. To me it screams "we don't have guys on our team who could port it to PS4, PS3, Xbone etc. in any reasonable and timely manner and we don't plan to hire any new guys".

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
Elate said:
piinyouri said:

Might be possible with Xpadder if it doesn't already have controller support (I haven't checked). What you'd need is some way to lock the mouse to the character though so you don't require mouse aim, but with the ample modding support I can see it being doable.
A few folks on the Runic site had Xpadder and a few other mapping program profiles uploaded to the site, and while the one I used was fairly decent, it just didn't have the ease of movement a properly mapped joystick would allow unfortunately.

Gromril

Sep 11, 2005
Shame, I really enjoyed the first one on consle alot more than pc for some reason.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
benvorbeck said:
AJey said:
Finally, a company willing to refrain from dumbing down their game for the console market.
Why.... why why why this fucktard on my friday afternoon

people actually made great comments so far and I enjoyed the reading but then this little fucker had to spoil it
Just peacefully ignore it, and it will go away. Shall we talk about muffins? I like muffins. Blueberry ones are my favourite! What's yours?

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I don't agree with the last line what so ever. I, for one, enjoyed Torchlight 2 moreso than D3. It was a much more visceral experience and much more fun to custom tailor it. I would like to see an official expansion that easily doubled the content. There were actually a lot of things in TL2 that Blizzard did not do with any Diablo games. I'm not saying D3 wasn't, ultimately, a good game. The sad part is that I am so much more likely to buy D3 and enjoy playing on my PS3 than on the PC, which is just kind of sad. I don't believe they dumbed it down or anything like that, but the PC version has several things wrong with it that I don't care to revisit (we all know one of my major problems is clearly the RMAH). Or I could go back and play TL2 again with a whole new character because the classes are so different from each other.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It's a shame they aren't making the game available to more people, it is brilliant after all. But it doesn't require a hardcore PC to run and isn't very expensive so there isn't much reason for consolites to play the PC version unless they absolutely hate playing games with a mouse.

I'm more disappointed that they are apparently not making Torchlight 3 :(

ironfist86

Oct 16, 2008
piinyouri said:
Elate said:
piinyouri said:

A few folks on the Runic site had Xpadder and a few other mapping program profiles uploaded to the site, and while the one I used was fairly decent, it just didn't have the ease of movement a properly mapped joystick would allow unfortunately.
I found a gentleman who used a program called Xmapper and it worked rather decent, especially if you are using a character with melee. It took a while to adjust with ranged attacks but after awhile, I liked using the controller for that as well.

Elate

Nov 21, 2010
piinyouri said:
Elate said:
piinyouri said:

Actually I just found a pretty good one, made by a member of the community, XInputMapper. While it is still a little clunky, once you get used to it, it's pretty perfect, and better yet fully configurable. Obviously nothing is ever going to be as smooth as something fully integrated, but it allows for joystick control, mapped action keys, and cursor control with the other joystick (which was surprisingly easy.) so.. Yeah it has been done already, and worked.

Frezzato

Oct 17, 2012
AJey said:
Yeah, yeah. Like how Blizzard removed the always online requirement from Diablo 3 for consoles? Sour grapes.

[hr]

CriticalMiss said:
It's a shame they aren't making the game available to more people, it is brilliant after all. But it doesn't require a hardcore PC to run and isn't very expensive so there isn't much reason for consolites to play the PC version unless they absolutely hate playing games with a mouse.

I'm more disappointed that they are apparently not making Torchlight 3 :(
I didn't feel compelled to play the first Torchlight more than once. Is Torchlight II any different?

Marak Daga

Feb 1, 2012
As much as enjoyed torchlight 1 i feel that 2 didnt hit the mark as well. Both my wife and i played it we didnt bother finishing it, the storyline didnt mesh as well with either of us. I dont think were the only ones, hence a lack of console port. Its a shame we had high hopes.

Jburton9

Aug 21, 2012
I am going on the assumption that they will release it on the next gen consoles. Also for now with their current release, I would like to see some expansion packs - like more classes and content as I would happily pay/support the developers.

I have really enjoyed the Torchlight world mythos they have created and feel they could really run with it any time they want to. : )

I keep waiting for a corruption meter to show up on my character - Oh noes! Your corruption meter shows you are a baddie now! Story time change! Lightside - darkside storylines more maps, things to do etc. Good stuff!

I eagerly await for more content from Runic, maybe we should do a 300 cupcakes to their office thing? hm...