Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Gioteck SC-1 Hardware Review

A solid improvement to the DualShock 3.

Read Full Article

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
No six axis and off set buttons..... soooo it is a reskin on a 360 controller...... Why not just call a spade a spade? Not that it is a bad thing... Just it is a 360 controller....

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Why are people so convinced that a disc style D-Pad will automatically suck? Yes, I know the one on the 360 did, but that's because Microsoft made a bone headed mistake and managed to make a terrible D-pad out of the best basic design. It used to be that fighting game players absolutely swore by the Sega Saturn and 6 button Genesis controllers specifically for the quality of the D-pads, both of which were of the disc variety. I've also got an old Madcatz PS1 controller with that sort of d-pad, and it likewise kicks pretty major ass.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Really I like the PS3 far more than the 360, but vastly prefer the 360's controller so this is actually perfect for me. Glad to hear its high quality, unlike some third party controllers.

Cpt. Slow

Great news everybody!
Dec 9, 2012
Yeah I like to play with this controller. Pop in a nice game, aaaand it's empty. I'm sorry, probably forgot to charge it. So, there we are. Shall we continue playing this game hmm? Good. Oh look at how it feels and reacts. Not the way I actually want to, you know. Wireless and all that jazz. Hey let's play FIFA. Oh and it's empty again. *throws it out of the window*

And that's my problem with almost anything that is wireless.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
slash2x said:
No six axis and off set buttons..... soooo it is a reskin on a 360 controller...... Why not just call a spade a spade? Not that it is a bad thing... Just it is a 360 controller....
Legal reasons, I'd imagine.

Owyn_Merrilin said:
Why are people so convinced that a disc style D-Pad will automatically suck?
Short attention spans. The last console to do it was awful, so it's a design flaw.

Obviously!

>.>

major_chaos said:
Really I like the PS3 far more than the 360, but vastly prefer the 360's controller so this is actually perfect for me. Glad to hear its high quality, unlike some third party controllers.
I have a ton of games now that I'm on PS+, so this seems like a solid investment as I have always hated the PS controllers.

Unfortunately, lack of Sixaxxxxxis control is problematic for some games, no matter how useless I think the feature is in general. I don't think I own any currently that are like that, but I do plan to get the game used as an anecdote in the review, TLOU, at some point.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
I happen to have an older Gioteck model, the HF1 wireless controller, for my PS3. I just happened across it in my local used game store and bought it as a second PS3 controller because it was cheap. I didn't even take any notice of its layout at the time... which is odd because I HATE the Playstation controllers and this is far superior.

It's basically an Xbox 360 controller and it's brilliant. There's a button on the front which can toggle the functions of the bumpers and triggers, swapping them around. So if your PS3 game insists on using the L1/R1 buttons for firing guns then you can swap the functions to use the triggers instead.

I don't know how old the HF1 is but if this new Gioteck is anywhere close then it's a damn fine investment as far as I'm concerned. Battery life is also pretty impressive on mine too.

Plus... look at dat finish. Style.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
I honestly do not understand why people seem to prefer the Xbox controller to the PS3 one.

It's way too bulky, the D-pad is terrible and it's assymetrical. Why on Earth would you want an assymetrical controller?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I didn't think it was possible for a dpad to look worse than the 360's dpad.

What is it with dpads? Are they going for look over function? The gloss doesn't do anything but make your finger slip off, textured, break it up and put rubber on it. I'm waiting for the next generation to forget to put them on at all.

2HF

May 24, 2011
DaWaffledude said:
I honestly do not understand why people seem to prefer the Xbox controller to the PS3 one.

It's way too bulky, the D-pad is terrible and it's assymetrical. Why on Earth would you want an assymetrical controller?
Tell me which input is used more than any other...

That's why. It belongs in a comfortable place and on the Dualshock controllers it has never been in a comfortable place for me. If it works for you then fantastic for you, but I'll take a 360 controller any day. It's flawless in my eyes as I don't play any games that require extensive and precise D-pad control.

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
I'm planning on getting a PS3 after the new gen comes out. One of these might be a handy piece of kit considering I do all of my gaming, even most of my pc gaming, using a 360 pad.

Username Redacted

Dec 29, 2010
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Why are people so convinced that a disc style D-Pad will automatically suck? Yes, I know the one on the 360 did, but that's because Microsoft made a bone headed mistake and managed to make a terrible D-pad out of the best basic design. It used to be that fighting game players absolutely swore by the Sega Saturn and 6 button Genesis controllers specifically for the quality of the D-pads, both of which were of the disc variety. I've also got an old Madcatz PS1 controller with that sort of d-pad, and it likewise kicks pretty major ass.
I don't assume that a disc style d-pad will automatically suck it's just that in this case the review says that the d-pad kinda sucks and per your example it's been how many years (>10?) since a company produced a disc style d-pad that didn't suck.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
ThingWhatSqueaks said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
I don't assume that a disc style d-pad will automatically suck it's just that in this case the review says that the d-pad kinda sucks and per your example it's been how many years (>10?) since a company produced a disc style d-pad that didn't suck.
Well first of all I was referring to the reviewer[footnote]Edit: Who didn't actually say anything about first hand experience with the D-Pad, he just bashed it for being disc style. For all either of us know, that thing could have the best D-Pad since the Saturn. It's not all that likely, but I didn't get the impression the reviewer actually tried it in a game that makes use of it before writing it off.[/footnote], not you. Second, it's been that long in the first party arena, because Microsoft is the only company to put one on a first party controller since Sega bowed out of the hardware market. If you dig around in the third party arena, you can probably find something pretty good. Heck, I've got an afterglow 360 controller that's got a better D-Pad than the ones on the official ones, despite it still being disc based. It's not even a difficult problem to solve, Microsoft just seriously screwed up the design by putting the contact plates on the circuit board on the wrong end of the pad, so they could cheap out and re-use the design from the face buttons.

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
K.ur said:
I'm still waiting for a mouse with thumbstick.
Gaming hardware is crap and behind the times.

http://www.lexip.fr/pro/en.html

Look elsewhere for where the real cutting edge is. It hasn't been with games for a long time.