Sony Aims to be More Inviting to Developers with PlayStation 4

NoShoes

Aug 15, 2013
Sony Aims to be More Inviting to Developers with PlayStation 4

VP Publisher & Developer Relations explains Sony's approach to securing indie and AAA developers for PlayStation 4.

With the release date of the PlayStation 4 inching ever closer, the topic of playable titles comes to mind, and Sony wants to assure you that it is actively making changes to become more appealing to developers. SCEA's Vice President of Publisher and Developer Relations Adam Boyes spoke with Game Informer about internal changes in Sony and the mindset of creating a more inviting program for developers with the PlayStation 4. These changes, including internal reorganization to flesh out the Developer Relations team and partnering with large-scale publishers, were implemented to entice both independent and AAA developers to the PlayStation 4.

In his video, Adam Boyes explains the processes within Sony for developer relations, including "pub funding" that allows internal teams to support titles or developers they believe in as well as account management for studios that wish to develop for PlayStation 4.

Boyes explains further that developers will be allowed to self publish on the PlayStation 4 and that Sony's internal teams are ready to support developers that choose to self publish. He also states that developers engaging in "pub funding" are linked with other "pub funded" developers in an effort to provide as much information and honest discourse as possible.

As for larger scale studios and titles such as The Elder Scrolls Online, Boyes explains that while there had not originally been a plan to bring certain games to console, the development of a plan for this purpose was put in place after his arrival. "Knowing that a game's coming to console that was never going to come to console is the kind of stuff that is...hugely awesome," says Boyes.

Boyes' openness about obtaining developers for the PlayStation 4 lends to some interesting titles in the works for this platform, though I personally am excited to see a push for more indie development. AAA developers Blizzard and Bethesda will be offering titles for the PS4 alongside indie devs 17-Bit and Tequila Works, among others.

[wcgame=554, style='wide']

Source: Game Informer [http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2013/09/05/inside-sony-39-s-hunt-for-the-best-games.aspx]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Boyes genuine affection for gaming is infectious. Sony is lucky to have that guy.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
After Sony's Gamescom conference, is this even news anymore? I guess it's new to see a different person explain it, but the openness is obvious.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Dear competitors of sony.

This is a step by step video guide on how to PR. And what sort of people to hire, and then put in the public eye.

His love of gaming is really obvious, and he just has a very laid back, but invested tone in everything he talks about, and makes the PS4 sound like an exciting platform to be a part of.

Wasn't going to buy a new console at launch, but this guy makes me want to.

capcha: drive me to fireneanafznfnzzzz eh?
- redlmacooop(randomshapes that could be letters)
- what appears to be random lines
- more completely illegible nonsense

fucking troll captcha, glad you are having fun.

- roflcopter

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Man, I love this guy. I never got into Elder Scrolls since it was on PC, does anyone know if its worth it enough to try it when it comes to PS4? I certainly don't want something buggy or else I can't play it.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Miss G. said:
Man, I love this guy. I never got into Elder Scrolls since it was on PC, does anyone know if its worth it enough to try it when it comes to PS4? I certainly don't want something buggy or else I can't play it.
Skyrim on the PS3 was a load of crap, I don't know if it'll get any better on the PS4 but due to it using x86 architecture and standard components rather than the CELL processor that the PS3 was burdened with it could improve.

Looks like Sony have learn their lesson that was the PS3, and just in time as well.

Miss G.

Jun 18, 2013
Ed130 said:
Miss G. said:
Skyrim on the PS3 was a load of crap, I don't know if it'll get any better on the PS4 but due to it using x86 architecture and standard components rather than the CELL processor that the PS3 was burdened with it could improve.

Looks like Sony have learn their lesson that was the PS3, and just in time as well.
That's good. I was majorly concerned about glitching because my skin crawls very easily if I so much as remember seeing one, even if its something like Kingdom Hearts Re: Coded or Epic Mickey where it's supposed to look like the environments are glitching/messed up.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
We need to see more of this guy. He seems like an actual gamer. And he seems excited for the project. Which is a good thing for the guy that, from my understanding, was heading the PS4 design process. Seems like he said, "What do I want in a gaming platform?" and then went with that.

PR done right. He didn't talk down to gamers. No insults. Just a genuine love of games. It's kinda refreshing.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Saltyk said:
We need to see more of this guy. He seems like an actual gamer.
Yes, this. So much this.

We need more gamers in the industry, less businessmen.

The Enquirer

Apr 10, 2013
This, despite being an avid pc gamer makes me want to get a ps4 even just to support Sony. They're actually using people who are gamers, not business men to do the Public relations end of things and the development part of the console. And the business men just let them do what they do and they do it well.

I won't get one at launch (as it will cost a lot) but I think, if it really turns out to be what we have been showed of it, I will get a Playstation 4 just to support Sony and show them that they are doing the right thing.

EDIT: ALSO, for any fans of TIMESPLITTERS it has been announced that TIMESPLITTERS REWIND is being developed for the ps4 in addition to the Pc. It is unsure if there will be a Ps4 release due to Crytek having the ultimate say in the matter, but it is out there.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Saltyk said:
We need to see more of this guy. He seems like an actual gamer. And he seems excited for the project. Which is a good thing for the guy that, from my understanding, was heading the PS4 design process. Seems like he said, "What do I want in a gaming platform?" and then went with that.

PR done right. He didn't talk down to gamers. No insults. Just a genuine love of games. It's kinda refreshing.
That's always been the way Sony did business. They got into console business because they were passionate about video games and what they could become. Microsoft got into console business because they were passionate about the money. That's why Sony's approach is gamer friendly and actually makes sense, while Microsoft is constantly trying to please the publishers and other businesses, putting actual gamers in the second place. They have no passion for the medium. And it shows. It never occurred to them to let indies self-publish until Sony did it. It's the most obvious thing and they didn't want to do it until they got desperate.
Microsoft used to be a good company when they were run by people that were passionate about what they were doing. People like Bill Gates. That era is over. The company is now run by talentless, greedy psychopaths who can only copy other people's ideas, and not even do a very good job at it.