Escapist's Paul G To Die Repeatedly In Outlast Livestream

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Escapist's Paul G To Die Repeatedly In Outlast Livestream

He's doing this for you, the fans. Time for a drinking game!

Those of you who listen to the podcat will know Paul Goodman, the Man with No Title, the soul without shame. You may be less familiar with 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm EST on The Escapist's Twitch channel [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127472-Outlast-This-Launch-Trailer-If-You-Dare].

This sounds like prime drinking game material, and it is! "If you'd like to lose control of your bladder, give it a shot E3 preview [http://store.steampowered.com/app/238320], and that moment right there is worth a shot of the beverage of your choice. There will be death, as Outlast seems to have sidestepped the Amnesia scares for more full-on argle-bargle and, as everyone knows, you can't have argle-bargle without someone getting viciously murdered. Step forward, Mr Goodman, and don't be shy! Remember, your fans want to hear everything ...

The live stream will start at 6:30 pm EST [http://www.twitch.tv/escapistmagazine]. Be ready!

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
I hope he has fun with it, I've played it for about 3 hours now and I gotta say the games utter reliance on jump scares after awhile made the game not scary in the slightest.

search_rip

Jan 6, 2009
Outlast is a good game and this could be fun :D but no thanks, I'm a newish fan of PewDiePie's Youtube channel and I've been watching his Outlast stream already...

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Watched a little bit, it would really help if you could stream in higher quality. Pixels everywhere.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Corven said:
I hope he has fun with it, I've played it for about 3 hours now and I gotta say the games utter reliance on jump scares after awhile made the game not scary in the slightest.
I reject this flippancy. Are jump scares not scary now? Just because Yahtzee decries them doesn't mean that his word is gospel. And we're just going to ignore the elements of paranoia, body horror, mental instability, darkness, claustrophobia, and other bits and pieces?

Ya know, not since Amnesia has a game made me so uncomfortable as when Miles gets his fingers cut off, in a scene laced with tension, ugliness, blood spattering, insanity and not a single scare in it or on either side of it.

I'm increasingly sure that this site's users don't actually get horror. The game may not scare you, fine. But to flippantly dismiss it as having "utter reliance on jump scares" is wrong, degrading and lazy.

On a different note: Goshdarn it I missed it. ;__;

On another different note,

Karloff said:
Those of you who listen to the podcat
I wish I had time to listen to a podcat. I bet they're full of interesting stories of their poddiness. :D

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
while it wouldn't have mattered cause i was at work during this time i still think you should have given more fore warning then just one hour beforehand. i really like your live streams and would hate to have one pass me bye.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
"Buddy!"

I have to say, this was entertaining. Unnerving, and entertaining. I really envy those people who can keep a commentary going while facing dismal surroundings, total darkness and various misshapen enemies. I just never understood how it's possible for someone to LP a horror game if two-thirds of the experience is going to consist of the broadcaster tensing up or yelping at a jump scare.

Just FYI - I've played Outlast for something like 90 minutes - and I'm too scared to go back in.

As Daffy Duck would say: "Mother!"

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
lacktheknack said:
Corven said:
I reject this flippancy. Are jump scares not scary now? Just because Yahtzee decries them doesn't mean that his word is gospel. And we're just going to ignore the elements of paranoia, body horror, mental instability, darkness, claustrophobia, and other bits and pieces?

Ya know, not since Amnesia has a game made me so uncomfortable as when Miles gets his fingers cut off, in a scene laced with tension, ugliness, blood spattering, insanity and not a single scare in it or on either side of it.

I'm increasingly sure that this site's users don't actually get horror. The game may not scare you, fine. But to flippantly dismiss it as having "utter reliance on jump scares" is wrong, degrading and lazy.

On a different note: Goshdarn it I missed it. ;__;

On another different note,

Karloff said:
Those of you who listen to the podcat
I wish I had time to listen to a podcat. I bet they're full of interesting stories of their poddiness. :D
First off, I don't give two shits what yahtzee's opinion of horror is, I was playing the game not him.

I will give it to you that jump scares do have their place in horror games, even amnesia had several of them, but at least amnesia knew how to pace itself,jump scares can be used to great effect for sure, but not when they're used so frequently as they are in this game, in the first 20 minutes of gameplay you run into 5 of them( the tv, opening the door to the library, the man on the stick, the fat man calling you little pig and tossing you into the next room, and finally the dude in the wheel chair after you get the keycard) and it doesn't ease up from there.

The enemy encounters aren't any better, I'll use an example from early in the game, when you are trying to restart the power guess what happens without fail, the guy wandering around comes to the area that you were just in, even if he was rooms away he somehow hears me switch on the circuit breaker and comes to investigate, that isn't scary that's predictable AI that was programmed to come to an area once an event was triggered. It was at this point that I realized that almost every activateable objective was just a trigger for another dude to come chase me (this was proven as I kept playing the game), that isn't scary, that isn't tense, its boring.

To put my taste in survival horror games into perspective since you called that into question I'll tell you something, it took me a solid month to finish amnesia all the way through. That game literally terrified me to the point where I would have to stop playing and come back to it later. Amnesia was scripted too don't get me wrong, all it's scares are event activated as well, but it knew how to pace itself and let tension and dread build. My thoughts while playing it sometimes were "is something going to happen when I do this?" and sometimes no nothing would happen and that tension would build. In this game the thought of "will something happen when I do this?" the answer is yes, yes it will, all the time, every time to the point of desensitization.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Corven said:
I will give it to you that jump scares do have their place in horror games, even amnesia had several of them, but at least amnesia knew how to pace itself,jump scares can be used to great effect for sure, but not when they're used so frequently as they are in this game, in the first 20 minutes of gameplay you run into 5 of them( the tv, opening the door to the library, the man on the stick, the fat man calling you little pig and tossing you into the next room, and finally the dude in the wheel chair after you get the keycard) and it doesn't ease up from there.

And that makes the game very frightening to me, because I know I'm going to get jump-scared at any time, adding immensely to the paranoia element.

The enemy encounters aren't any better, I'll use an example from early in the game, when you are trying to restart the power guess what happens without fail, the guy wandering around comes to the area that you were just in, even if he was rooms away he somehow hears me switch on the circuit breaker and comes to investigate, that isn't scary that's predictable AI that was programmed to come to an area once an event was triggered. It was at this point that I realized that almost every activateable objective was just a trigger for another dude to come chase me (this was proven as I kept playing the game), that isn't scary, that isn't tense, its boring.

I fail to see how that's boring. It made me immensely unhappy whenever a switch had to be pulled, which is probably what the game had in mind.

To put my taste in survival horror games into perspective since you called that into question I'll tell you something, it took me a solid month to finish amnesia all the way through. That game literally terrified me to the point where I would have to stop playing and come back to it later. Amnesia was scripted too don't get me wrong, all it's scares are event activated as well, but it knew how to pace itself and let tension and dread build. My thoughts while playing it sometimes were "is something going to happen when I do this?" and sometimes no nothing would happen and that tension would build. In this game the thought of "will something happen when I do this?" the answer is yes, yes it will, all the time, every time to the point of desensitization.
I know the feeling about Amnesia, I still haven't finished it. :p

Also, tension builds just fine in Outlast. Being chased by a scary guy doesn't "reset" the tension, it makes it worse. That's because he's still looking for you. The tension only resets when the pursuer is killed or you actually escape to a different area that he can't follow you, which doesn't happen all that often.

Schtoobs

Feb 8, 2012
I completed Outlast and I didn't notice any over use of jump scares, infact most of my "jumps" were self inflicted due to suspense created by the initial jump scares and occurred naturally through switching the NV on and off between light and dark areas (among other things). I thought it scarier and much more varied than Amnesia personally. Watching a L.P. will totally ruin the experience if you intend to play it though.