Redesigned Vita Heading to Japan

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Redesigned Vita Heading to Japan

Sony has revealed a new take on the Vita that's lighter, thinner and will come in six colors.

The past few weeks have been pretty big for the Vita. At Gamescom, the long languishing handheld received an arguably crucial <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127038-Sony-Confirms-Vita-Price-Cut>price drop that saw the cost of both the Vita and its proprietary memory cards lowered. Now, with the Tokyo Game Show approaching, Sony has made a bevy of new announcements, among which is the reveal of a new Vita model designed to be lighter, smaller and more affordable.

According to Sony, the new Vita will be 15 percent thinner and 20 percent lighter than the current design. It also swap out the Vita's pricey OLED screen for a cheaper 5-inch LCD display. The new model will also come with 1GB of internal memory built into it which, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127467-Killzone-Mercenary-File-Size-Jumps-to-4-5GB-With-Day-One-Patch>considering the size of some Vita titles, isn't much, but is still better than the current zilch included with the original Vita design. The redesign will also come in six colors: black, white, yellow, grey, blue and pink.

All of this said, there was a fairly big bit of information left out of the pre-TGS announcement: a western release date. While the new version of the Vita has been confirmed for an October 10th launch in Japan, there has been no word on when it will be landing in North America and other territories. The Vita redesign will be priced at 18,980 yen, which is equal to about $190.

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/9/4709936/re-designed-ps-vita-coming-to-japan-on-oct-10-in-six-colors>Polygon

FantomOmega

Jun 14, 2012
I was hoping the new model will have 4G/LTE support but oh well...

Will the LCD screen quality be any better than my current Vita's OLED? If so then I'm all of it since OLEDs have a shorter lifespan plus a higher risk burn-in and unlike LCD it's freaking permanent

And what about power consumption? Is this new model able to play games a few hours longer? Sony these are things I need to know!

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
This one [http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Misju7hWIz0/TfvGLfNG0QI/AAAAAAAAAAQ/oOhhT1wSDsc/s1600/8889+-+magical_girl_lyrical_nanoha+mahou_shoujo_lyrical_nanoha+playstation_vita+psv+ps_vita+pun+sony+tagme+vita.jpg] needs to be real.

A Vita Vita. Or if you prefer, a Vita Squared.

It'd sell like hotcakes.

[small]I'd buy one.[/small]

[small]Because Vita.[/small]

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
No more OLED, huh? Cool. It looks nicer, sure, but I'm terrified of the burn-in. Internal memory is a much bigger deal than the article implies, though, because it means you don't have to buy a crazy expensive memory card to play physical titles, so that's nice.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
A wise decision. OLED IMHO is premature tech. Burn in and poor life span are major concerns.

Now the new LCD ... lets hope they don't cheap out on us and use TN like the PSP. IPS would be the best, specially if it's on the iPhone 5's screen level of quality. But other type of LCD tech like ASV would be acceptable too.

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
Funny, I was just saving up for a used Vita priced at roughly $120, but if this comes to the States with a similar price tag, I can definitely wait.

greenice

Apr 7, 2010
StewShearer said:
The new model will also come with 1GB of internal memory built into it which
I'd just like to point out that the 1GB of memory isn't built in, it just comes with a 1GB memory card, it says so right there in your source.
OT:I was waiting for a cheaper redesign and I'm quite liking the look of it.I could totally see myself buying it at some point in the future.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Odd as it sounds, I don't think I'd want my vita to be thinner / lighter. I find the current heft to be about right for my hands.

That said this is a good idea. A budget model (I love my OLED but still) with a memory card included so you can at least play physical games? Good work Sony, this will sell if the price is right.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
TheEvilCheese said:
Odd as it sounds, I don't think I'd want my vita to be thinner / lighter. I find the current heft to be about right for my hands.

That said this is a good idea. A budget model (I love my OLED but still) with a memory card included so you can at least play physical games? Good work Sony, this will sell if the price is right.
Indeed, I love my Vita's size too. Then again, I actually have a plastic holder around it, shaped like a pad, that makes it bigger and easier to weld.

The memory card is probably the best feature. However, the change in screen is a big issue for those whom are savvy enough to know it's worse quality. Most won't though.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
greenice said:
StewShearer said:
The new model will also come with 1GB of internal memory built into it which
I'd just like to point out that the 1GB of memory isn't built in, it just comes with a 1GB memory card, it says so right there in your source.
OT:I was waiting for a cheaper redesign and I'm quite liking the look of it.I could totally see myself buying it at some point in the future.

Actually, though the Polygon, article doesn't specifically say "built-in" others sources would point the memory being internal and part of the actual hardware:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/09/sony-reveals-a-new-playstation-vita-model?abthid=522d8744790b8fbf3000001b
http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/09/new-playstation-vita-announced-release-date/,
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-09-sony-announces-slimmer-lighter-playstation-vita-redesign

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
God, they must be trying to wain us off multi-colored hand helds, because those were the most unappealing shades of colors I have ever seen. Why not a purple? Maybe a dark blue? Or a yellow that isn't brighter than the sun? Or a red. Seriously, you guys made a brown(is that even what it is?) one but you couldn't have the decency to make just a regular red? What about green? Of all the colors they went with, those are the worst colors they could have chosen. God dammit. I feel like a black one would be a god send.

But otherwise it's nice to see them trying to revitialise the Vita. Though maybe just making some games(or hell, at least localizing some, it has a decent sized library it's just mostly Japanese games) instead of a bunch of new hardware for it would be cheaper and more effective. I want a Vita, I've heard the console itself is great. I just want there to be a bigger reason for me to get it than Persona 4, possibly a few ports, and another portable console to play PS1 games on.

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
If this comes out in America, Europe, and elsewhere at $170 (the standard 3DS's price, as a matter of fact) due to it being 15% smaller and having a cheaper screen and around the time the PS4 comes out, then Sony might be having a bigger head start in this generation than we thought.

I'm considering this generation starting this holiday season because only a few niche games and 2D Mario/Luigi have come out on the Wii U. The Vita has a similar situation, from what I've heard and haven't seen.