Evil Within Video Drags You To Survival Horror Hellscape

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Evil Within Video Drags You To Survival Horror Hellscape

We had plenty of cops around here a second ago. Wonder where they all went?

Shinji Mikami of Resident Evil fame returns to survival horror with his latest, The Evil Within [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/previews/10391-The-Evil-Within-is-Pure-Survival-Horror] - aka Psycho Break in Japan - and a new trailer has slithered out of Sony's press conference to show us all what Mikami has in mind. Detective Sebastian's about to have a very bad day. First, all the cops at the scene of crime seem to have vanished, after being attacked by someone - or something - that's still wandering the halls of Beacon Mental Hospital. Then Sebastian gets dragged off to what may be another dimension, with only his wits, and very limited resources, to help him get out. Take a look at this little shocker of a video, and ask yourself whether you want to play The Evil Within in the dark.

The pressure will be on, the moment you step in the door. The game world will distort, changing in real time based on your actions, and the enemy - whoever or whatever it may be - will be coming at you from all directions. "Highly-crafted environments, horrifying anxiety, and an intricate story weave together to create an immersive world that will bring players to the height of tension," the official website [http://theevilwithin.com/] promises. There's more than a hint of Resident Evil here, but with the focus on Sebastian's story, there might be a little touch of Silent Hill to go with it.

Whether there is, or isn't, is something you'll have to wait till 2014 to find out. This one's due for PC, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/428549/new-evil-within-trailer-released/]

sir neillios

Dec 15, 2012
In totally unrelated news, anyone who is looking forward to Amnesia: A machine for pigs can pre-order and pre-load it now. Can't wait, I get in from work tomorrow at 10:30pm, not much sleep will be had.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Further proof that mental hospitals are the scariest places on earth.

Seriously, even just walking around Arkham Asylum I always felt all creeped out - despite the fact that I was frickin' Batman - just because it was an insane asylum.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Anyone want to bet that the "twist" is that it turns out "Detective" Sebastian is actually a patient in the mental hospital and the whole game is in his head?

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
Colour me unimpressed. Not only was the trailer choppy and slow, the graphics look like very early PS3 demos let alone 'next gen' and everything from the sound, to the lighting seems wrong. I'll stick with Amnesia for my horror fix.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
Eh, wasn't subtle enough for me. It just looked like a generic trailer for a B-rated horror movie. Just because it's weird and things are bloody and wrapped in barbed wire doesn't make it scary. Hopefully anything they show in the future will be more impressive.

anian

Sep 10, 2008
AldUK said:
Colour me unimpressed. Not only was the trailer choppy and slow, the graphics look like very early PS3 demos let alone 'next gen' and everything from the sound, to the lighting seems wrong. I'll stick with Amnesia for my horror fix.
Well, I'd kind of let it all slide (I'd didn't think it was that bad, unoriginal thoguh).
But what really kills the mood, statements like "it smells like blood" - wth is that supposed to mean?! At the top of my head "stinks of rotten flesh", "smells like death", "stinks like slaughter house", is more than 10 seconds thinking about what the characters say too much? That's either a bad translation or bad writing, either way, lazy, senseless and kills any atmosphere almost instantly.

EDIT: seems video was removed, curious.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Well, considering that Amnesia isn't (and I doubt it ever will be) available for consoles and the last game with similar mechanics was The Call of Cthulhu on Xbox*, I'll say that it looks reaaaally interesting indeed.

Gladly we already have a lot of great horror games on PC, courtesy of indie devs (I'm still planning on getting Outlast and Routine [http://www.routinegame.com/] looks very interesting indeed), but it's been a long while since Shinji Mikami has made a horror game, so I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this.

[small]*I'm talking about horror games on consoles, of course.[/small]