Rockstar's Houser: GTA V "Is The Endpoint Of The American Dream"

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Rockstar's Houser: GTA V "Is The Endpoint Of The American Dream"

You won't be seeing a GTA film any time soon.

"If GTA IV was a classic New York story," says Rockstar's Dan Houser, head writer and vice president of the studio, "[GTA V] is the endpoint of the American dream." It's where everything America hopes and lusts for, reinvents its past for, lives, or dies; the plastic, fake land of missed opportunity. Los Angeles is the dream that America invented, and the Rockstar team has spent over 100 days combing every last inch of the real LA to make the game world, in a process that started in 2010 at the height of the sub-prime financial crisis. But, Houser admits, creating the world is always the largest part of development. The team spoke to everyone it could, from cops to FBI undercover agents, Mafia experts and gangsters. "We even went to see a proper prison," said Houser. "These poor buggers in the middle of the salt flat desert, miles away. It was eye-openingly depressing."

Houser sees this process as a step on from film. "It's the being rather than the doing," Houser says. "You're going to see different things than another player, and when you walk up a hill yourself and see the sun setting on the ocean, that's a lot different to me taking a camera up there and making you see it." Not that Rockstar is likely to make a film based on GTA, though there have been offers. It has declined each one, on creative control grounds. The last thing GTA needs, Houser thinks, is an "amorphous 'that won't test well' attitude" taking over from, and replacing, innovation. GTA is Rockstar's crowning jewel, and there's no sense risking a property as valuable as that over some temporary plaudits. Besides, there's too much in GTA to condense it into a movie format; a TV series would be a better bet, but even then it would lose player agency and freedom, the two elements that, Houser believes, really make GTA special.

"We love games and we think we've got something to say in games, and that games have plenty to say," Houser concludes. "So shouldn't we just continue doing that?"

You haven't much longer to wait for this one. Grand Theft Auto V is due for Xbox 360 and PS3 on September 17th.

Source: Guardian [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2013/sep/07/grand-theft-auto-dan-houser]

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
I can agree on that, I probably wouldn't enjoy a GTA film or such. GTA is supposed to be my(our) thing! Not that of the director, if that makes sense. >_<

Also yay! Only one more week! Getting ready for midnight release. <3

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Yes GTA4, the classic New York story of arriving and then decimating half the population for money.

I guess a GTA movie's success (even though the plot of GTA is not special, crime, ooo) would be based on how much people enjoyed Heat compared to Payday.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
So studios wanted to make a movie based on a game that mocks the kind of movies that they want to make? Then R* could make a game based on That. Yes this would all probably suck.

The point of GTA (for me at least) is that you ARE making your own TV series with the framework they've created. Sure we all go through the story missions just the same but we all do everything else at different times. He's right there's no way to make a movie/series different for everyone the way their games can.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
<youtube=07wuZ3EWMAA>

I have no issues with anything they just said. Sure a GTA movie would be cool if someone did it right, but you know how that always works out. I really am glad to see that they care so much about this game.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
"[GTA V] is the endpoint of the American dream.
In other words; Max Panye 1 and 2 had a such well written storyies we just want to be like Remedy Studios. Keep dreaming.
bobleponge said:
A GTA movie would just be a generic crime thriller; that's all the game's stories are, anyway. What makes them special is that they're interactive.

A Saints Row movie, on the other hand... now that could be interesting.
Personally, I don't see what would so interesting about a SR film. A typically comedy film for those who shout "bro" all the time crossed with Arnold Schwarzenegger generic action film.

Towels

Feb 21, 2010
Yeah, no film pls.

The satire in GTA is awesome. If only the controls wern't like playing with a hacksaw.

(I really liked San Adreas, because the controls became more forgiving the longer you played.)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Release date so soon? Man, I really don't keep up with any game release dates anymore. Again the first question is that 17th universal or lol NA only, EU is next year >.<

[sub][sub]Yes, i'm still bitter.[/sub][/sub]

Yeah a GTA film would be horrible, best it could be would be an average crime drama. Unless they could find a reason where driving over the pavement instead of the road 24/7 is totally acceptable to the plot.

EvilMaggot

Sep 18, 2008
The Wykydtron said:
Release date so soon? Man, I really don't keep up with any game release dates anymore. Again the first question is that 17th universal or lol NA only, EU is next year >.<

[sub][sub]Yes, i'm still bitter.[/sub][/sub]

Yeah a GTA film would be horrible, best it could be would be an average crime drama. Unless they could find a reason where driving over the pavement instead of the road 24/7 is totally acceptable to the plot.
17th September worldwide :) im from Denmark, Europe and im already starting to set up a tent infront of my bloody mailbox! :p

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Lets face it no movie based on a video game has ever worked *cough* Mario *cough* because how one person plays a game is different to the next.

Take GTA for example, some people plow straight into story missions, whilst others drive around for hours, nicking different vehicles and crashing them into walls! Now wouldn't that make a great film!

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
putowtin said:
Lets face it no movie based on a video game has ever worked *cough* Mario *cough* because how one person plays a game is different to the next.

Eh, I thought Price of Persia was alright. The trick, I think, is to make the movie in the same universe as the game (or, as in PoP, with the same themes, as well), but not follow the plot of the games.

I agree, though. GTA isn't uniquely themed to be suitable for that kind of movie treatment.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
Saidan said:
A GTA film? There's already one:

<youtube=Piu8__SBYlo>
I remember seeing that when it came out, when I was still rolling with a bunch of my fellow Machinima.com expatriates. That film was revered as one of the best done in GTA.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
IT seesm that this guy really loves his game. in a genuine way, not as a PR stunt. This definatelly sounds good for GTA 5. i was spectica at first after the horrible game that GTA 4 was, but it seems GTA 5 is nothing but good news. SO now i can impatiently wait till i buy new at new years time so i can run it.

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
Easton Dark said:
Yes GTA4, the classic New York story of arriving and then decimating half the population for money.
How could you decimate a population by half? Decimate means to reduce by 10% - to kill every tenth person of a population. It was a technique used by the Romans to punish people to set an example, without killing them all (because you want people for labor and to recruit to your side, rather than just destroying whole towns).

Easton Dark

Jan 2, 2011
Aardvaarkman said:
Easton Dark said:
How could you decimate a population by half? Decimate means to reduce by 10% - to kill every tenth person of a population. It was a technique used by the Romans to punish people to set an example, without killing them all (because you want people for labor and to recruit to your side, rather than just destroying whole towns).
You kill 5% of the total.

But really I just liked the way it sounded, my bad.

Although: "verb
kill, destroy, or remove a large percentage or part of."