GOG Celebrates Fifth Birthday With "High 5" Sale

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG Celebrates Fifth Birthday With "High 5" Sale

Players can get up to 80 percent off of five eligible games in GOG's High 5 sale.

GOG is turning five and, as the online retailer is wont to do, it's celebrating by offering its customers some fairly decent deals on its wares with its new <a href=http://www.gog.com/high5>High 5 sale. Until the afternoon of September 16th, interested gamers can visit the website and pick five games from an eligible library of 25 titles and purchase them together at a whopping 80 percent discount. The games included in the deal aren't throwaways either. They include the likes of Alan Wake, Torchlight, Strike Suit Zero and Amnesia: The Dark Descent, among others.

Alongside the High 5 sale, GOG is also planning a series of special promos, gifts and releases (both retro and new) to help make its fifth anniversary just as special for gamers as it is for the site itself. To get gamers started down that discount trailer, the site is slashing the price of <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/system_shock_2>System Shock 2 by 75 percent for the next 24 hours.

With the release of the adventure classic <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127469-Good-Old-Reviews-I-Have-No-Mouth-and-I-Must-Scream>I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream already making September a particularly good month for GOG's frequent shoppers, the High 5 promo is arguably the icing on top of an increasingly sweet cake. We'll be watching with great interest to see where GOG drives its discount train over the next few weeks and will be available to let you know if there any particularly spicy deals to partake in. In the mean time, peruse the contents of the High 5 sale and let us know what you think. Are there any games you plan to snatch up, or are the pickings slim from where you're sitting?

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I rather wish they'd stop doing things like this.

There aren't five games on there that I don't have and want. Such often seems to be the case when they wrangle things like this. But even if there were, in the time it would take me to play more than a couple, something else would probably come along to distract me- and then three games would sit forgotten on my "shelf", however good a deal they were at the time. Buying "in bulk" is only a good deal if you actually use what you're buying.

I'd rather have a better-than-expected deal on one game I really want than an awesome deal on five games that I've heard might be kinda good at will probably get around to playing some day. These kinds of sales are great for distributors, but I'm increasingly uncertain they're actually all that great for consumers.

Your mileage, as always, may very. There might be something on that list that falls on your "I've been waiting for exactly this game to go on sale" spot, and I'm not one to judge.

Kinitawowi

Nov 21, 2012
Callate said:
You do realise that that's the entire point of this sort of deal, right? Buy Two Get One Free offers in your local supermarket aren't for your benefit. HMV's 2 for £22 deal of millennia ago was the same shtick - it was usually one you really wanted and maybe one you sort of wanted but might buy to listen to later and BAM, money in their bank.

captcha: collaborate and listen

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Kinitawowi said:
Callate said:
You do realise that that's the entire point of this sort of deal, right?
I do- but it's still a relatively new trend for digital distribution.

Maybe even new enough to dissuade them.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Oooooh, Miasmata, Stacking and Penumbra? Waaaaaant.

Now, which other two...

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Kinitawowi said:
Callate said:
You do realise that that's the entire point of this sort of deal, right? Buy Two Get One Free offers in your local supermarket aren't for your benefit. HMV's 2 for £22 deal of millennia ago was the same shtick - it was usually one you really wanted and maybe one you sort of wanted but might buy to listen to later and BAM, money in their bank.

Funny... my captcha is salt and pepper. No dammit... first of all, it was salt n pepa and second, collaborate and listen is from Vanilla Ice. Get your late 80s/early 90s references straight captcha

While I do agree with you on your point of view that the deals are not meant for the benefit of the customer, I usually get my mileage from it.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Kinitawowi said:
Callate said:

ITs kinda same schtick with humble bundles. theres really only 1-2 games that youd even think of playing in there, but you gota buy all or nothing. excelt that in bundles its usually a 6 dollar deal (enough to cover "above average"). So for example eurpoa universalis 3 for 6 dollars - good enough.