Ryse Contest Seeks Names For Finishers

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ryse Contest Seeks Names For Finishers

Ryse: Son of Rome needs names for its finishing moves, and GameStop is offering copies of the game and other loot to whoever can come up with them.

Ryse: Son of Rome has some pretty bloody finishing moves, but what it apparently doesn't have are cool names for them. That's where you come in: GameStop and Crytek are holding a contest to name five of the game's finishers, with copies of Ryse plus a t-shirt and autographed poster for the winners. The first move [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6JxhOH_xbY] has already been named but the second will be up for grabs until 4 pm EDT on September 10, which is tomorrow for those of you who don't have a calendar handy. Three more offerings will follow, each open for submissions for 48 hours.

The second finisher is available just to the right. As you can see, it involves bashing a dude in the face with a shield, then bashing another dude in the face, then chopping off his arm, then chopping the first dude in the face and then chopping the second dude in the face. The Slap-Chop, perhaps? The Hand-to-Mouth? The Vandalizer? The Visigoth Viscerator? Yes, I know, it's "eviscerator," but this is a creative enterprise, people. Artistic license and all that.

Anyway, if you want to get in on the Facebook [https://twitter.com/gamestop] - now get out there and name that move!

(PS. Feel free to use any of my above suggestions - I'm waiting for "The Sack of Rome" before I enter.)

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I've got one. It's called the Boredom Banisher. It's not shown on the video, but in order to activate it in the game, you hit the power button. Taking out the disc and changing it out for another game is a little extra flare for the move.

Really, how is an action game completely based on QTEs supposed to be fun again?

Dante dynamite

Mar 19, 2012
I'm waiting for 4chan to ruin the competition like they did dub the dew.

I think when in Rome kill like the Romans

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
"A" Finisher

What you need to do is mash the A button to initiate the finisher, press A to activate the finisher and press A to perform the finisher. No actual timing is involved, just keep pressing A and watch things happen, because they're cinematic.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I hope there is a move that involves stabbing someone in the back several times before running off. It could be called 'The Mattrick Shuffle'. Ooo, maybe one that only works on higher ranked enemies where you beat them to death with their helmet, called 'Deal With Orthority'. Both topical since it's an Xbone exclusive.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
How about 'Shitty pointless QTE 1', 'Shitty pointless QTE 2' etc.?

Arslan Aladeen

Oct 9, 2012
orangeapples said:
"A" Finisher

What you need to do is mash the A button to initiate the finisher, press A to activate the finisher and press A to perform the finisher. No actual timing is involved, just keep pressing A and watch things happen, because they're cinematic.
That reminded me of this.

http://sebastianwiberg.se/ryse/

EffectiveKill said:
Is this another God of War game?
No, it's style is a bit more grounded, but God Of War usually just left the quicktime events as optional finishers for normal enemies and big flashy enders to the highers up enemies and bosses.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Arslan Aladeen said:
EffectiveKill said:
Is this another God of War game?
No, it's style is a bit more grounded, but God Of War usually just left the quicktime events as optional finishers for normal enemies and big flashy enders to the highers up enemies and bosses.
This ^. God of War used QTE a decent amount, but those finishers were activated by surviving intense combat. They served as a reprieve from hand cramping action and gave extra health at the expense of XP. You could easily choose to keep wailing on the bad guys for full XP instead if you were doing well in the fight.

This is how they can use QTE so extensively throughout their games and be lauded, while others that use them very mildly and get slammed for it. I heard there were some tweaks to the QTE combat in Ryse because of the user feedback, but by the looks of it their sticking with their stated 'constant and mandatory drawn out QTE that gives invisible XP boost.'

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
How about the "you'll be sick of this by the 50th time you've seen it". Or perhaps "you can just drop the controller and you're ok". Or what about "don't you feel like a badass for doing nothing". Those seem like the most honest names you could give them.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
"Action Bastard! All Men Are Bastards! Get Your Hands Off My Happy Cake!!!" (...who here knows what I'm referencing to?)
--

"The Penetrator"

Ok... now I'm totally ripping off Demon's Souls

How about...

"whYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY" (emphasis on the Y)

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
I was think "QTE-Mageddon". Or "Button Mash Masher".... what about "You saw this in God of War!". I'm out of ideas. This game doesn't actually look like it would be fun to play. The eye candy isn't actually that sweet either.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Never ever ask the online community this kind of stuff.

I've got one "Holy shit that was awesome! How about we have you do it for the next 10 hours!?"

That's all these pre-scripted moves are. I'd much rather have a game that let me organically do something than have me just hit a button and watch a tiny little movie.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
"At least its not a Kinect game anymore, you'd have to shout this move name out if it was!"

Too soon?

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Arslan Aladeen said:
orangeapples said:
"A" Finisher

That reminded me of this.

http://sebastianwiberg.se/ryse/
Thanks to the leet skills of a red stapler and some detritus I found on my desk I managed to get Infinity RYSE points.

I hope this will work with the actual game as well.