Artbook Seeks Submissions To Support Ailing Blizzard Artist

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Artbook Seeks Submissions To Support Ailing Blizzard Artist

Gamers For Good is seeking submissions for a videogame art book that will raise money to support a Blizzard artist who is suffering from a rare form of cancer.

Kevin Kanai Griffith is an artist on the Diablo 3 team who was diagnosed in February 2012 with Alveolar Soft Part Sarcoma, "an incredibly rare cancer with no cure and no clear treatment path." What treatments are available are grueling and also very expensive, and so to help defray the costs Gamers For Good are putting together a book of original fan art based on his favorite games, the proceeds from which will go to support his fight against the disease.

Anyone can contribute to the cause. Just whip up your best original effort based on Chrono Trigger, Altered Beast, Diablo 2 or 3, Super Mario RPG, Minecraft, Final Fantasy 4 or 6, Super Metroid, World of Warcraft or Mortal Kombat 2, and then submit it to Gamers For Good by November 10. All submissions will be considered donations to the cause, so don't give up anything you plan on making money with later.

The site doesn't say how many images will be included in the book but there are already more than 100 artists on the job, so don't be too disappointed if you don't get in. On the other hand, it's a pretty great cause, so if you've got the talent and an urge to do some good with it, there's no reason not to jump aboard. Full details can be found at Facebook page [http://www.gamersforgood.com/KKG-Artbook].

Clura

Aug 5, 2007
My take away from these news:

Activision Blizzard are too fucking cheap to pay for their employees' healthcare. Not sure why I'm surprised at this point but I am.

Also, I fully expect this to get no or far less angry responses than let's say the art of Dragon's Crown.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
Clura said:
My take away from these news:

Activision Blizzard are too fucking cheap to pay for their employees' healthcare. Not sure why I'm surprised at this point but I am.

Also, I fully expect this to get no or far less angry responses than let's say the art of Dragon's Crown.
You honestly believe that a company as big as Blizzard doesn't have some form of health care? Even Walmart has healthcare (shitty as it may be, its still there). You have to pay for it since this is America and free health care is for losers, but its generally there.

The real problem was that somethin so rare and so incredibly expensive to deal with probably isn't covered under most normal health care plans.

Also, glad to see that the Blizzard hate train is able to seep into somethin like this too. Stay classy.

Edit - I may not be an artist, but I can at least do my part and buy it when I can. Go team!

Clura

Aug 5, 2007
shintakie10 said:
The real problem was that somethin so rare and so incredibly expensive to deal with probably isn't covered under most normal health care plans.

Also, glad to see that the Blizzard hate train is able to seep into somethin like this too. Stay classy.

Edit - I may not be an artist, but I can at least do my part and buy it when I can. Go team!
Yes, of course health insurance shouldn't cover rare diseases, thanks for pointing that out. Although, most civilized countries do have healthcare policies where elective procedures are extra, not rare diseases. But hey: land of the free, home of the brave.

And yes, shame on me for not respecting Blizzard for going the economic route vis-a-vis health care plans. Clearly, gaming companies should only be criticized for DRM and issues of gender representation in their games.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Wow, Clura......way to read too much into this. You have no knowledge of what Blizzard's healthcare coverage is or the exact situation this guy is in yet it surely doesn't stop you from speculating wildly about it. It could be that Blizzard is covering the all of the medical expenses but he is unable to work. Not pulling in a paycheck sort of hurts one's ability to pay bills and eat. All of the proceeds from this book could be going towards that.

They way people to so emotionally invested, be it good or bad, over game developers and the perceived slights they give to the gaming public never ceases to amaze me.