Theatrhythm FF Curtain Call Brings Rhythm Back to Japanese 3DS

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Theatrhythm FF Curtain Call Brings Rhythm Back to Japanese 3DS

Update: We originally wrote that the original Theatrhythm was a 3DS exclusive. It is not: The game is currently available on iOS.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy gets multiplayer in the sequel, but mostly sounds like more rhythm role-playing.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call, a sequel to last year's Final Fantasy-themed music game for the 3DS, was unveiled in the latest issue of Japan's Jump magazine.

According to the article, as translated by Gematsu [http://gematsu.com/2013/09/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call-announced-for-3ds], Curtain Call will boast over 200 tracks, including songs from Final Fantasy IV and Lightning: Final Fantasy XIII, and 60 characters from the series. Curtain Call's biggest improvement comes in the form of a new "Versus Battle Mode," allowing players to square off in musically-guided combat.

Since the game has yet to be formally announced by publisher Square Enix, there's no word on whether Curtain Call will come stateside. Considering the Final Fantasy pedigree, a western release seems like a relatively safe bet.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call will hit Japanese shelves next spring.

Source: Gematsu [http://gematsu.com/2013/09/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-curtain-call-announced-for-3ds]

BooTsPs3

Feb 2, 2011
Wasn't the excuse for the first ones lack of songs a lack of space on 3ds carts? I'd love to know how they can do 200 this time...

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
Michael Epstein said:
Like the original Theatrhythm, Curtain Call will be a 3DS exclusive.
Except kinda not, because I've played an embarrassing amount of Theatrhythm on my iPhone (which is free, though filled with microtransactions for songs and extra characters). Wonder if this sequel will have a lesser version on iOS as well. Gotta say though, if the first Theatrhythm or Curtain Call came to Vita, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Surprisingly fun for a game you would figure is just a shameless cash-in on the Final Fantasy name...well, technically it still is, but nostalgia is a powerful force.

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
FootloosePhoenix said:
Michael Epstein said:
Like the original Theatrhythm, Curtain Call will be a 3DS exclusive.
Except kinda not, because I've played an embarrassing amount of Theatrhythm on my iPhone (which is free, though filled with microtransactions for songs and extra characters). Wonder if this sequel will have a lesser version on iOS as well. Gotta say though, if the first Theatrhythm or Curtain Call came to Vita, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Surprisingly fun for a game you would figure is just a shameless cash-in on the Final Fantasy name...well, technically it still is, but nostalgia is a powerful force.
You're absolutely right. That's my fault. Thanks for the save!

Alcaste

Mar 2, 2011
Bah. All the stuff I wanted in the first game, huh? I hate when that happens. Particularly when I buy the first game on release, then don't play it as much as I intended to.

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
I played the demo for the first one and got kind of addicted to it for a while. I was never quite willing to shell out for the full game though. If the DLC was as prevalent as I've heard, maybe that's a good thing.

If we end up getting this one in the US, I might pick it up.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I loved the original. Didn't quite put a hundred hours onto it but it's my second most played 3DS game. Anyway, if this thing comes to the US it's a must buy...even though the multiplayer will likely be untouched and I've likely already played through a majority of the soundtrack thanks to the first game and the few downloads I did purchase.