Pokemon Red/Blue's Kanto Region Being Rebuilt in Minecraft

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013

Reddit user MediocreJake has spent more than 120 hours working on a Minecraft version of the Kanto region from Pokemon Red/Blue.

While I never really got into the sequels, there was a period of time where I was absolutely addicted to Pokemon Red and Blue. "Gotta Catch 'Em All" wasn't just some marketing slogan, it was a personal mantra that kept me up nights as I endeavored to be the very best like no on ever was. That being the case, you can perhaps understand my personal appreciation of a recently unveiled Minecraft project being pieced together by Reddit user MediocreJake.

Mr. Jake, presumably a Pokemon fan himself, recently took to recreating a complete and interconnected version of the Kanto region as represented in Red/Blue. While still a work in progress, Jake's project has already taken more than 40 hours of planning and 120 hours of build time. Granted, we've seen some Minecraft undertakings that were a bit more <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127489-Minecraft-Builder-Constructs-Full-Scale-USS-Voyager>time consuming overall, but we're not going to knock someone who was willing to sit in front of their computer for five days to build something cool.

According to Jake there were a few complications that he had to contend with while building his Kanto recreation. "Getting the scale right was pretty difficult to be honest," he said. Aligning the game's various cities was apparently something of a trial at times, as well. "Celadon and Fuchsia weren't lined up correctly, so Route 17 (Cycling Road) ended up way too long, so I had to re-align a few cities and routes, which was a pain." Currently MediocreJake is still working on the interior portions of the game, which he intends to connect together with Multiverse warps. When he finishes with Kanto, he hopes to make a similar version of the Johto region from Pokemon Gold and Silver. Players interested in exploring Jake's Kanto for themselves will need to join his personal server, which he's in the process of opening.

Source: <a href=http://www.reddit.com/user/Mediocre_Jake>Reddit via <a href=http://kotaku.com/the-original-pokemon-games-recreated-in-minecraft-wow-1285295918>Kotaku

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Hasn't this been done a fair few times already by various people?

Not to take away from the time and energy spent to recreate this but it's nothing new, I've seen a few on Youtube myself

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I wonder if I should cease to be impressed by these Minecraft feats. Yeah, I'll do that. Call me when someone's done a country!

Despite however many years it has been (a decade?) since I last touched Blue, it's amazing just how much of that was instantly familiar.

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
You know, this just makes me really really want to see a realistic interpretation of the first two Pokemon regions rendered in Minecraft. Some locations based from the anime, some from the game, but all full (gigantic) size. It'd be freaking beautiful.

TKretts3

Jul 20, 2010
I just went on Planet Minecraft and found five completely complete maps of Kanto, and some look a lot better than what this guy is building. People have built pokemon worlds, some have built massive cities (Greenfield), there is even one guy who rebuilt the entire map of Twilight Princess in Minecraft. It's hard to be impressed by something when you see it done all the time.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
TKretts3 said:
I just went on Planet Minecraft and found five completely complete maps of Kanto, and some look a lot better than what this guy is building. People have built pokemon worlds, some have built massive cities (Greenfield), there is even one guy who rebuilt the entire map of Twilight Princess in Minecraft. It's hard to be impressed by something when you see it done all the time.
Except in this case, it's also a rebuild of the interior parts.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
StewShearer said:

Reddit user MediocreJake has spent more than 120 hours working on a Minecraft version of the Kanto region from Pokemon Red/Blue.

While I never really got into the sequels, there was a period of time where I was absolutely addicted to Pokemon Red and Blue. "Gotta Catch 'Em All" wasn't just some marketing slogan, it was a personal mantra that kept me up nights as I endeavored to be the very best like no on ever was. That being the case, you can perhaps understand my personal appreciation of a recently unveiled Minecraft project being pieced together by Reddit user MediocreJake.

Mr. Jake, presumably a Pokemon fan himself, recently took to recreating a complete and interconnected version of the Kanto region as represented in Red/Blue. While still a work in progress, Jake's project has already taken more than 40 hours of planning and 120 hours of build time. Granted, we've seen some Minecraft undertakings that were a bit more <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127489-Minecraft-Builder-Constructs-Full-Scale-USS-Voyager>time consuming overall, but we're not going to knock someone who was willing to sit in front of their computer for five days to build something cool.

According to Jake there were a few complications that he had to contend with while building his Kanto recreation. "Getting the scale right was pretty difficult to be honest," he said. Aligning the game's various cities was apparently something of a trial at times, as well. "Celadon and Fuchsia weren't lined up correctly, so Route 17 (Cycling Road) ended up way too long, so I had to re-align a few cities and routes, which was a pain." Currently MediocreJake is still working on the interior portions of the game, which he intends to connect together with Multiverse warps. When he finishes with Kanto, he hopes to make a similar version of the Johto region from Pokemon Gold and Silver.

Source: <a href=http://www.reddit.com/user/Mediocre_Jake>Reddit via <a href=http://kotaku.com/the-original-pokemon-games-recreated-in-minecraft-wow-1285295918>Kotaku

If possible please add in the article that the creator has stated that the only way you can see his version of Kanto is by joining his server (which he has a waitlist)and he is not distributing it. I was very sad to see that part left out of the article when I decided to go and try and download it. :(

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GAunderrated said:
StewShearer said:

According to Jake there were a few complications that he had to contend with while building his Kanto recreation. "Getting the scale right was pretty difficult to be honest," he said. Aligning the game's various cities was apparently something of a trial at times, as well. "Celadon and Fuchsia weren't lined up correctly, so Route 17 (Cycling Road) ended up way too long, so I had to re-align a few cities and routes, which was a pain." Currently MediocreJake is still working on the interior portions of the game, which he intends to connect together with Multiverse warps. When he finishes with Kanto, he hopes to make a similar version of the Johto region from Pokemon Gold and Silver.

If possible please add in the article that the creator has stated that the only way you can see his version of Kanto is by joining his server (which he has a waitlist)and he is not distributing it. I was very sad to see that part left out of the article when I decided to go and try and download it. :(
Good idea and can do! Sorry for the sadness. :(