Former Epic President Mike Capps Joins Remedy Board

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Former Epic President Mike Capps Joins Remedy Board

Former Epic Games President Mike Capps has joined the board of Remedy Entertainment, the Finnish studio behind Max Payne and Alan Wake.

Six months after announcing that he'd severed all ties [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122571-Mike-Capps-Leaves-Epic] with Epic Games, Mike Capps is back in the business as a member of the newly-expanded board at Remedy Entertainment, which is currently working on the Xbox One-exclusive Quantum Break. Remedy CEO Matias Myllyrinne said the addition of Capps, as well as F-Secure CEO Christian Freriksson, are intended to help the company through the coming console transition period.

"I've known Mike for a long time as someone who I respect a lot," Myllyrinne told VentureBeat. "His track record speaks for itself. He was very happy to take it on. He knows our track record, but I know he believes we have an even bigger and better future that he wanted to be a part of."

Myllyrinne said that Remedy has roughly doubled its headcount over the past two years, from a peak of 55 people, including contractors and freelancers, for Alan Wake, to a little over 100 now. Noting the multiple projects Remedy took on last year, including getting Alan Wake to the PC, Death Rally on Android and work on Quantum Break, he said Remedy has "a proven ability to punch a little bit above our weight" but added that the studio's growth has "all been driven by a healthy business. We want to grow in a sustainable way. I don't see us going into hyper-growth. We want to maintain a certain culture."

Capps, who's also on the board of directors at the Entertainment Software Association and the Academy of Interactive Arts and Sciences, said he's been a fan of Remedy for years and while it doesn't sound as though he'll be taking on an "active executive role," he hopes to serve as an adviser and "sounding board" to Myllyrinne.

Source: VentureBeat [http://venturebeat.com/2013/09/11/remedy-entertainment-expands-its-board-as-gaming-moves-into-new-transition-interview/]