122: Slouching Toward Black Mesa

Tom_Rhodes

Aug 9, 2006
Here's your cookie:

Sent: Friday, November 09, 2007 11:43 AM
To: Tom Rhodes
Subject: Re: Slouching Toward Black Mesa

Dear Tom,

We [Gabe Newell and I] read your essay with great interest and amusement earlier this week--it's always strange to see what others make of all this...like catching a glimpse of yourself in a couple of right-angled carnival mirrors. Of course these are the sort of ideas we can neither confirm nor deny. I will add, only semi-OT, that my recently deceased cat was named Minnaloushe [http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/577.html]. Also, Seattle is not considered enough of a metropolitan venue to have been chosen for today's the limited opening of No Country For Old Men; though I wish the Coen Brothers might someday make To the White Forest.

Yours,
Marc Laidlaw
I added the link to Minnaloushe, since I'm willing to bet that most people here wouldn't get the reference. This was posted by permission.

Vitalix

Sep 27, 2007
Force Feedback Codpiece said:
Half-Life 2 was hardly "the best FPS" ever. I've played many games that were heaps better than HL2, but also: I'd say there is no such thing as "the best" game. Every game comes with flaws.

HL2 was a good FPS, but nothing more than that.
This post tells you more about the author than it does Half-Life 2.

Kudos to Tom Rhodes for a solid attempt at literary analysis of an incredible game.

bsocker

Oct 19, 2007
Thanks for a great article. I love this Yeats poem and appreciate the analysis you've done.

I'd also like to thank Marc Laidlaw for including some great poems hidden in Portal as well. I wasn't expecting to find one of my favorite Dickinson poems in there.

And thanks for straightening out my Longfellow. ;)

sergeantz

Nov 4, 2007
AK-00 said:
Only the player, and perhaps the G-Man, are aware of the truth about him. Freeman is, in fact, just some poor, bottom-rung-of-the-ladder, semi-blue collar slob who's never really had the chance to stop running since he emerged from the test chamber, back in Black Mesa. The only differences between him and all the others lucky enough to get handed an HEV is that Gordon is luckier and has tireless, razor-sharp survival instincts.
Yeah, those poor blue-collar MIT theoretical physicists:) The rest of what you said makes some sense.

AK-00

Oct 30, 2007
sergeantz said:
Yeah, those poor blue-collar MIT theoretical physicists:) The rest of what you said makes some sense.
That's something that always struck me as odd about Half-life. The guys a physicist, but his job consists of shoving hazardous material around on little trolleys and exposing himself to unfamiliar forms of radiation. As careers go, it's slightly less glamourous than sewage treatment. I can only assume the pay was astronomical.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
AK-00 said:
Ugh... I *hate* subtext. It's okay to look for themes in an existent piece of work, but to actual hide them in there while you're writing... It's literary masturbation. A writer should be able to make a point without falling back on tenuous veiled metaphors.
Yeah, but in this game you have to. That's what I love about HL; they don't teach you the story, you have to find it out yourself.

As for Gordon, he's you in a way. They never gave him a personality so it's up to you to work out who he is. While I was playing it, I was playing Gordon as a bad arse. He just beat his way out of Black Mesa and killed a giant Buddah. When Gordon saw what was happening to his people, "I'm fucking Gordon Freeman! And it's time to put on my hero boots (deadsexy eyes)."

Chilango2

Oct 3, 2007
AK-00 said:
That's something that always struck me as odd about Half-life. The guys a physicist, but his job consists of shoving hazardous material around on little trolleys and exposing himself to unfamiliar forms of radiation. As careers go, it's slightly less glamorous than sewage treatment. I can only assume the pay was astronomical.
The joke has even gone meta, I heard that in HL2 (never played it, didn't have a decent enough graphics card till recently, and been busy playing *other* games..) some of your companions joke about how its takes a theoretical physics degree to push a button.

PurpleRain

Dec 2, 2007
Chilango2 said:
AK-00 said:
That's something that always struck me as odd about Half-life. The guys a physicist, but his job consists of shoving hazardous material around on little trolleys and exposing himself to unfamiliar forms of radiation. As careers go, it's slightly less glamorous than sewage treatment. I can only assume the pay was astronomical.
The joke has even gone meta, I heard that in HL2 (never played it, didn't have a decent enough graphics card till recently, and been busy playing *other* games..) some of your companions joke about how its takes a theoretical physics degree to push a button.
One of your first missions was to plug a cord into a wall. Barney (You remember him from the first) jokes about it.

Silva

Apr 13, 2009
It is extremely refreshing to see a game get some serious academic attention, particularly comparisons with literary works. The fact that you identified such a correlation between Yeates' lines and Half Life 2 is quite impressive. There is probably a story in that discovery itself.

Jules Grant's letter to the editor in response to this work was unnecessarily derisive of your work. He did not understand the possibility for any number of readings in something as blank page as a video game plot.

Further, there appears to be a misunderstanding in this thread of what you meant by a "preacher". A messiah, an icon, a saviour rather than a priest; that was the context you were speaking of, with Freeman acknowledged as exactly that. Even the Vortigaunts bow to him, because he's already saved the world once, and he (albeit unknowingly) freed their entire race.

There is a reason why we're not allowed to kill innocents in Half Life 2 - because you're meant to be a hero. As others pointed out, the game is not Fallout. It has an intent. It has a meaning. It has a purpose. Hell, it has a plot, complete with complications, series of events, the climax and inevitable conclusion. There is little freedom for "the free man" until he completes the contract, which functions (with or without Valve's intent) to illustrate the irony that in being a hero and defying authority, you have to pay the price and lead the people into the center of Hell itself.

I think I should point this out for some who are objecting to the article, as well:

Literary or developer intent does not define the meaning in the plot. If you wrote a story about a totalitarian dictator who eventually commits suicide whilst living in Nazi Germany, but you didn't know about Hitler or anything about real world politics, people would still be justified in comparing that dictator to the real tyrant. If there is no intent in something, then people may read it as they please, and they will, and that will change the meaning. The artist's absolute power over meaning ends the moment the work is published or modified. That's simultaneously a wonderful and terrible thing, but objective meanings aren't that important when it comes to fiction. It's fun and a learning experience to read deeply into things using all the knowledge at your hands. If your assertions confirmed by the work's creator, then that's nice, but the fun is in the pursuit; the point arrived does not have to be an absolute.

So I say, thanks again to you Mr Rhodes. Your insight has deepened our understanding, and for me personally, the next time I play the game, everything will be richer for reading this piece.

EDIT: Hmm, this article was ancient, yet I got to it from the main page. My apologies for the thread resurrection.