PS4s Being Held in Reserve for the Holidays

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
PS4s Being Held in Reserve for the Holidays

SCEA president Jack Tretton says supply reserves and "phenomenal" production yields will keep PS4s on store shelves.

Since the console's reveal there have been some concerns that the PlayStation 4, despite <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124815-PS4-Will-Not-Block-Used-Games-or-Require-an-Online-Connection>possessing a lower price and having won substantial victories in the realm of public opinion, still might not be able to compete with the Xbox One on account Microsoft's superior production lines. One analyst went so far as to suggest that the Xbox One would <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126265-Analyst-Xbox-One-Could-Outship-PS4-3-to-1>outship the PS4 3-to-1.

Offering a response to such concerns, SCEA president Jack Tretton revealed in <a href=http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2665555912001/video-gamers-await-launch-of-playstation-4/?playlist_id=938507304001>an interview that the company is already in the process of preparing for potential supply shortfalls. "We want to make sure people can buy a PS4 on November 15 and through the holidays," he said. "So, we're holding back some inventory to make sure people will be able to buy one."

This reserve of PS4s is also being bolstered by some exceptionally efficient production lines on Sony's part. "Production yields have been phenomenal," said Tretton. We're going to work very hard to make sure that every consumer that wants one gets one." Tretton didn't confirm if these supply reserves were being created worldwide or if they would be limited to North America. Either way, if you're a gamer in the United States, it looks Sony is doing everything it can to make sure it has PS4's on shelves when you walk into the store.

Source: <a href=http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/2665555912001/video-gamers-await-launch-of-playstation-4/?playlist_id=938507304001>Fox Business via <a href=www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/12/playstation-4-stock-held-back-to-combat-shortages>IGN

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
This is great news. It beats the hell out of PS3 launch era Sony. And anything that takes the thunder from the eBay debacles we've seen in the past is a good thing for everyone.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
It surprises me that Microsoft has superior production lines since Sony is a large electronics manufacturer outside of gaming and Microsoft isn't.

Louzerman102

Mar 12, 2011
The bitter and cynical side of me waits for the delicious schadenfreude of the "Sony surprised by high demand, PS4 sold out" announcement.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
So how does holding back inventory help everyone who wants a console to get one?
Louzerman102 said:
The bitter and cynical side of me waits for the delicious schadenfreude of the "Sony surprised by high demand, PS4 sold out" announcement.
Sony aren't going to mind when that happens. Nothing sells the value of a console more than it being impossible to find one. I remember the big rush to try and find a Wii, when people know it's valuable (and can sell them for 4x the price on ebay) that improves the reputation of the product a lot

Little Gray

Sep 18, 2012
BrotherRool said:
So how does holding back inventory help everyone who wants a console to get one?
Louzerman102 said:
Sony aren't going to mind when that happens. Nothing sells the value of a console more than it being impossible to find one. I remember the big rush to try and find a Wii, when people know it's valuable (and can sell them for 4x the price on ebay) that improves the reputation of the product a lot
It also hurts Sony and video game sales. Improving the reputation of a product is a lot less valuable then all of the lost sales by not having enough supply to meet the demand.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
Little Gray said:
BrotherRool said:
Louzerman102 said:
It also hurts Sony and video game sales. Improving the reputation of a product is a lot less valuable then all of the lost sales by not having enough supply to meet the demand.
Yes but Louzerman was saying he'd have some Schadenfreude when Sony announced they couldn't produce enough consoles to meet demand. All that means is that everything they've made, they've sold. We can assume they're not going to deliberately make less PS4's, so in either scenario they will have made as many consoles as they could. Just in the one scenario they made lots of consoles and not everyone bought them and no-one else wants to buy them, and in the other scenario people bought every single console they could make and want more.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
Honestly I was thinking there would be shortage. Alot of pre-orders going out like that you almost expect for them not to have made enough units. Riding high on the wave of popularity and just misjudging their own production. Well I hope things do work out well then. It would be the worst thing they could possibly do after getting all that good press and praise from the public.