Lifeinvader is a Semi-Fictional Social Network for GTA 5

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Lifeinvader is a Semi-Fictional Social Network for GTA 5

Grand Theft Auto's social network blurs the lines between fiction and reality.

Over the last 12 months, Rockstar Games has managed to keep Grand Theft Auto V and Grand Theft Auto Online at the top of every gamer's to-do list, and, barring some kind of tragic delay, the games should touch down on Tuesday. However, Rockstar isn't quite done with its longwinded advertising campaign just yet. Today, the GTA developer launched a social networking website for the inhabitants of Los Santos and Blaine County, the fictional locales within the world of Grand Theft Auto.

The Facebook-like website, called Lifeinvader [http://www.lifeinvader.com/], blurs the lines between fiction and reality by allowing real-life players to join the network and stalk their favorite in-game characters.

Once the game is released, it'll be interesting to see what Rockstar has planned for the social network. But even in its infancy, it's possible to catch glimpses of the developers' intentions. Warstock Cache & Carry [http://www.lifeinvader.com/profile/sprunk] will give you a ten percent discount on your first purchase. Assuming that these advertisements really do translate into in-game discounts, Rockstar may have just discovered the most distractive combination in history.

Lifeinvader is linked to the Rockstar Social Club service that was launched in 2008 and allows players to keep track of their stats, interact with other community members, and participate in several game-specific activities. So, if you'd like to check Lifeinvader out for yourself, you'll need to make sure that your Social Club account is squared away first.

Source: Lifeinvader [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51346/stalk-for-deals-and-get-social-self-respect-at-lifeinvadercom.html].

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
It would be cool if you could also create a page for your GTA Online character, that can be accessed from the in-game comp or the IRL site that this article links to.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Oh my god, it even has fake ads from GTA businesses on the website. I really hope you can create one for your GTA character, just imagine the role-play possibilities.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
*sends out public invites for heist*

*gets busted a few hours later*

Nice try, Los Santos PD.

niktzv

Feb 15, 2011
Sounds amazing. I can't wait to try it.
Gonna have to figure out what a "rockstar, social club" is though.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ngh...

I'm sure they've put a lot of thought into this. I'm sure it will be effective in drumming up even more awareness and anticipation for GTA V.

But aren't people going to spend enough of their lives playing what is certain to be one long-ass game without getting into all this meta-gaming semi-ARG stuff?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
MammothBlade said:
*sends out public invites for heist*

*gets busted a few hours later*

Nice try, Los Santos PD.
Ahh, now that is a very appreciated warning!

*Deletes visceral photos of drug induced parties*