GOG Adds Stargunner to Free Games Library

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG Adds Stargunner to Free Games Library

As a part of its continuing fifth birthday celebrations, GOG has released the shoot 'em up Stargunner as a free gift for its customers.

Last week GOG unveiled a <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127585-GOG-Celebrates-Fifth-Birthday-With-High-5-Sale>fancy new sale to help celebrate its fifth birthday and, in the process, also promised customers that further discounts and new releases were on the way to keep the party rolling. The digital retailer recently made good on the new release with <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/stargunner>Stargunner, a side-scrolling shoot 'em up game that drops you in the cockpit of a starfighter and tasks you with the age old goal of blowing stuff up.

What makes Stargunner especially special is the fact that it's being given away completely free of charge. All you need to do is log into your GOG account and you can download it at your leisure. This free-of-charge status puts it in the company of an already impressive and expanding list of complimentary GOG products. Aside from Stargunner, this list includes: Teen Agent, Lure of the Temptress, Tyrian 2000, Dragonsphere, Beneath a Steel Sky and Ultima IV.

Granted, not every single one of those games are acclaimed classics, but honestly, don't look a free game in the mouth. That's how that saying goes, right? Any who, the added joy of not paying money set aside, Stargunner is still a really fun game that should more than please fans of side-scrolling action titles. In turn, it has us excited to see what else GOG might have in store for the rest of its birthday celebrations.

Source: <a href=http://www.gog.com/news/free_release_stargunner>GOG

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Hey, a free game is a free game. I can certainly live with trying that out.

Plus, I love oldschool shmups, so I really can't complain.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Thanks for the heads-up - claiming my copy now!

Having just had a quick tallying glance at my GOG library, that makes 10[footnote]edit: actually, 11 - I missed Torchlight[/footnote] free games they've given me. Scholars and gentlemen (or ladies, as appropriate), every one of them.

I emailed GOG to say thanks a few months ago.. their response:
Hello

Thank you very much for your kind feedback, glad to see you're enjoying our service. We will do our best not to disappoint in the future. However calling us heroes is maybe a little over the top. We just sell games in a way we would want them to buy.
Phooey, they're heroes.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I always get the feeling that Stargunner was this one side-scrolling shmup that I used to have a shareware floppy disk or something of back when I was a kid.

I'm not positive if it actually is, since, you know, I was around six years old then, but still, free is free, and compatible with Windows 7 is awesome.

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Super Not Cosmo said:
StewShearer said:
a side-scrolling shoot 'em up game that drops you in the cockpit of a starfighter and tasks you with the age old goal of blowing stuff.
Well ummm I don't know what to say. I mean I guess that gives a new meaning to the word cockpit . . . . . just sayin.

Mayhaps the author forgot an "up" somewhere in that story? Or maybe I'm just REALLY misunderstanding what type of game this is.
Well, it is the world's oldest profession..! Look at the screenshot again and that little dude is shooting all over the big monster's belly.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Super Not Cosmo said:
StewShearer said:
a side-scrolling shoot 'em up game that drops you in the cockpit of a starfighter and tasks you with the age old goal of blowing stuff.
Well ummm I don't know what to say. I mean I guess that gives a new meaning to the word cockpit . . . . . just sayin.

Mayhaps the author forgot an "up" somewhere in that story? Or maybe I'm just REALLY misunderstanding what type of game this is.
Of all the freaking typos to make... Fixed.

triorph

Aug 5, 2008
I used to play the demo for this all the time as a kid. I think you could already get it for free off the old apache games web-site though. I saw it there recently.