Disney Infinity Sales Shoot Through 294,000 In Two Weeks

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Disney Infinity Sales Shoot Through 294,000 In Two Weeks

It's a strong start for Disney's latest game gamble.

"We're very pleased with the launch in both the U.S. and globally," a Disney spokesperson beams, "and believe blew through $54 million in the last financial year and $70 million the year before that [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10546-Disney-Infinity-Review-Imagineers-Wanted]; Disney Infinity is the Division's sole bright spark, at the moment.

It's a spark that, according to the Wall Street Journal, cost Disney $100 million to make. "If Infinity does well, it bodes very well for the bottom line of this unit," Robert Iger is reported to have said, in a February meeting with analysts. "If it doesn't do well, the opposite will be the case." The Division took a big hit with Epic Mickey [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121784-Warren-Spector-is-Sad-But-Excited-For-the-Future], and if Infinity had tanked its future would have been bleak. But fortune favored it; only Madden NFL 25 and Saints Row IV outsold Infinity in August.

Christmas is coming, and Skylanders [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121468-Skylanders-Reaches-500-Million-in-Record-Time] is looking fat. Disney Interactive will need to do well to beat out the established competition, but - so far - consumers are putting their pennies in Mickey's hat. If this sales trend continues, Disney's Games Division will have something to celebrate in the new year.

Source: Games Industry International [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-09-16-disney-infinity-sells-294-000-in-first-two-weeks]

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
What? Only 300K? On a game like this? That's not very good. Especially if it cost Disny 100 Million Dollars.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Here's the question though: Is it bought for the kids, or for the adults? That's the kind of info I'd like to see.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Dr.Awkward said:
Here's the question though: Is it bought for the kids, or for the adults? That's the kind of info I'd like to see.
Gabe from Penny Arcade seems to love them himself, so I'd say they are for both adults and kids.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Mr.Mattress said:
What? Only 300K? On a game like this? That's not very good. Especially if it cost Disney 100 Million Dollars.
I'm guessing they are taking in fiftyish dollars per unit. So that's around $15 million in, leaving them $85 million short. Not good indeed, unless sales are strong for quite some time.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
it's unclear whether or not the unit sales are also accounting for any additional figures being sold, so uh, should probably look at this from a profit standpoint instead

Ninja_Bob117

May 7, 2013
This is impesive that they got this many sales and they haven't even pulled out the marvel and star wars models yet so this is going to be a big hit if they do it right

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Veylon said:
Mr.Mattress said:
What? Only 300K? On a game like this? That's not very good. Especially if it cost Disney 100 Million Dollars.
I'm guessing they are taking in fiftyish dollars per unit. So that's around $15 million in, leaving them $85 million short. Not good indeed, unless sales are strong for quite some time.
It seems that Disney is hoping to captialize on the Skylanders-esque market so I can see them breaking even at least. Mainly because we don't know if the sales figures also are accounting for the character statues that are sold separately, since the only ones that are packaged with the game are Sully, Captain Jack Sparrow, and Mr. Incredible. Each of the characters is about $12.99-$13.99 on sites from what I see so they'll at least break even on this more than likely because the new characters would be incentives to buy more. Plus they're sorta advertising the release of Jack Skellington as well.

Also, the Starter Pack for Disney Infinity isn't $50, it's $74.99 at GameStop and it's $59.99 at Best Buy and Walmart through what I've found.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Veylon said:
Mr.Mattress said:
Remember, they are also banking on the fact that the owners of said games will go out of their way to buy the figurines by the droves.