Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Video: Boom. Also, Boom

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Battlefield 4 Multiplayer Video: Boom. Also, Boom

Hello, Commander. No, this isn't XCOM, but you will be getting people shot, in huge battles. Sound good?

Battlefield 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127793-Battlefield-4s-Open-Beta-Opens-October-1], the modern warfare kill kill KILL with an open beta due October 1st, wants you to know just how awesome its multiplayer is going to be. Thus there is a video, with explosions galore, as well as a sneak peek at the game's Commander mode, in which you tell everyone else what to do and shoot things from afar with big rockets. If you were wondering about the maps, the battles, or the number of explosions that can be packed into one video, wonder no more.

Battlefield 4 is becoming what pretty much anything [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127274-Battlefield-Doesnt-Need-Annual-Release-DICE-Says], which is good news for those of us who haven't upgraded our systems in a while. Not that this video was shot on the minimum spec; something that pretty can only have come from a high end machine.

Battlefield 4 is due November 1st for PC, Xbox 360, and PS3. Next Gen console versions will follow later, presumably not long after the consoles launch.

Source: Battlefield YouTube Channel [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SRxs5xYWuo&feature=player_embedded#t=0]

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
Looks like it could be fun. Didn't really play the last one that much though, so I'll just wait and see. The 'massive destruction' things they mention seem like they're kind of binary, you know, an elaborate 'flip switch to flood map', the way you could change the flow of the game by opening gates in older games.

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Why do I get the feeling the actual multiplayer won't be a damn thing like this? BF3 made some huge promises and ended up being CoD on a larger scale with vehicles. Anyways, I still enjoy stuff like this from time to time. I think I'll pick this up and dust off my modern military shooter skills. Been playing too much TF2 lately anyway.

TiberiusEsuriens

Jun 24, 2010
Floppertje said:
Looks like it could be fun. Didn't really play the last one that much though, so I'll just wait and see. The 'massive destruction' things they mention seem like they're kind of binary, you know, an elaborate 'flip switch to flood map', the way you could change the flow of the game by opening gates in older games.
Exactly. Everyone made a huge deal during the E3 reveal about how they leveled the skyscraper. "No way, we'll be able to blow up all the buildings!?" Nope, it was clarified that since that single scraper had a capture point and was a heavy asset for map control they specifically set an optional objective to destroy it instead of capturing. It would be COOL AS BALLS if destroying a dam flooded the city naturally with water physics, but we won't see that for a LONG time. Multi-player maps have had triggers that players can activate to permanently change the environment since the 90s.

This does give us hope though, because they did show off a more advanced debris simulation. They also are learning how to simulate massive building destruction. Perhaps BF5 or 6 will finally see both of those components fully integrated together?

rasputin0009

Feb 12, 2013
Haakmed said:
This looks cool and all but...Battlefield 2143 sounds better!
See: Star Wars Battlefront. In 2-3 years.

Anyways, I'm super excited for this. All the little changes to balancing has me more excited than the level evolution (I refuse to say "Levelution"). Don't get me wrong, the centrepiece destruction sounds cool for varying up matches. Especially how breaking a dam floods the streets for boats to go on or the dust from the fallen skyscraper creates cover from air vehicles.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
TiberiusEsuriens said:
actually, i kind of doubt that... I think they'll keep the destruction within limits because if you don't, you lose a lot of the flow and structure in the maps. The more freedom in map-destruction you give people, the harder it is to keep the game fun.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Floppertje said:
TiberiusEsuriens said:
actually, i kind of doubt that... I think they'll keep the destruction within limits because if you don't, you lose a lot of the flow and structure in the maps. The more freedom in map-destruction you give people, the harder it is to keep the game fun.
True.
For instance BC2, which pretty much let you destroy ALL the buildings, would after a few minutes be leveled down to just one big flat map, with nowhere to hide from enemy tanks or choppers. First thing people did was to just blow everything up, and then it became a game of who spotted who first.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
Haakmed said:
This looks cool and all but...Battlefield 2143 sounds better!
Waiting for this. Waiting. Waiting....

2142 was one of my favourite shooters when I was younger.

Two Angels

Dec 25, 2009
Looks good! I thought BF3 was a nice step forward in terms of multiplayer and this looks like there are even more improvements. Never going to have everything that we would love to see but if it has enough, and is fun, then I'm in.

Do not have high hopes for the single player though.