Affleck Talks Batman On Jimmy Fallon's Late Night

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Affleck Talks Batman On Jimmy Fallon's Late Night

"We're gonna be Luddites for a while, kids," Affleck jokes.

"I handle shit. I'm very tough," says Ben Affleck, as he discusses his Batman role on Jimmy Fallon's Late Night show. "I saw the announcement, I look down on the first comment...the first one just goes, 'Nooooooooo!'" Apparently there are some people out there who just can't get their heads round the idea that Affleck could do a good job as the Dark Knight [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127114-Ben-Affleck-is-The-New-Batman], and the studio was well aware of that even as it brought Affleck on board. Don't look at the internet, Ben, is the sum of its advice; you don't want to know. After seeing some of the things said about other actors, even before the movie came out, Affleck's inclined to agree.

"They send me [reactions for] people who were in these movies who did a great job and they'd say, 'Kill himmmm!'," Affleck laughs. "You can't say that before a movie comes out. It doesn't matter what you think then, it matters what you think when you see the movie." Unfortunately for Affleck, the internet doesn't work like that - it may never have worked like that, come to think of it - so, at least for a while, Affleck's ignoring the internet. Or so he says. Affleck doesn't go into any detail about the project, except to say that it's going to be different from the Nolan/Bale version of the Dark Knight. "[Affleck] has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter," director Zack Snyder said at the time of the casting announcement, "but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne." Here's hoping.

This follow up to Man of Steel is due in summer 2015, as part of a build-up to a Justice League movie in 2017. Batman will be facing off against Superman, in a conflict that Snyder has described as "beyond mythological." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126177-Batman-and-Superman-Facing-Off-in-Man-of-Steel-Sequel] As to what happens after that first meeting, no doubt we'll find out later.

Source: Hollywood Reporter [http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ben-affleck-batman-backlash-im-630141]

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
Best of luck to him, I say. He's got the chin for it at the very least.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I'm actually willing to give Affleck the benefit of the doubt.
What I AM scared of is the story.

This can go a couple of ways.

*) A story where batman disagrees with something the relatively new superman does, start a fight, bigger threat shows up and they work together and earn their trust.

*)It could be a retelling of The Dark Knight Returns, which will make Superman look like a stupid idiot.

Or it will rock my mind, but I'm still very sceptical about that.

Edit:
Besides, it's way too early to do a team-up movie.
Let the new Superman get into his status-quo.

Show us the new Clark Kent, the way he lives his normal live.
And Maybe some Lex Luthor.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
See the man is a walking romantic comedy, he is really excellent at that, if Batman went around sweeping baddies off their feet with roses and sweet talk he would be excellent for that role as well.

But that is not the case, unless this is a slash fiction movie...

Oskuro

Nov 18, 2009
I've said this before, and I'll say it again: Ben Affleck has already played Batman.

Seriously, take a good look at the Daredevil movie (which, at least the Director's Cut, isn't as bad as some have said it is), and compare it with a Batman movie:

Both deal with an accomplished athlete/investigator who uses his training to hunt criminals at night, prowling the rooftops of his city hoping to avenge the death of his relatives at the hands of gangsters, wearing a costume evocative of an intimidating creature.

One is a lawyer, the other is a millionaire.
One has super senses, the other is a millionaire.

And really, the tone and look of the Daredevil movie would have been perfect for a Batman movie. Heck, DD even has his own gothic "batcave"!

So bring it on, Ben!

·

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I don't care that Affleck is going to be Batman. I do however seem to be the only one ( who I have talked to about this) who does not want a Superman VS Batman. Without kryptonite and his special brand of 'Because he is Batman!' plot armor the fight should last about 1 second, with batman being punched into orbit.

That and the whole two people do not get along, they fight but must then put aside their differences to fight a common threat has been done way to many times.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I've never had a problem with Ben Affleck as an actor. I don't think it was his fault Pearl Harbor sucked, I don't think it was his fault Gigli sucked, etc. He's been good every time he's worked with Kevin Smith (even in Jersey Girl, which I maintain was a good movie for what it was and people only hated it because it had Smith's name on it but wasn't like his other movies), he was excellent in Good Will Hunting and Argo...

My problem is specifically that he's wrong for Batman. He lacks the necessary intensity. The only way he'll pull this off is if Batman is written as emo as Superman was in Man of Steel... Y'know what? I'm not worried. Batman probably will be written like that, and the movie probably will suck, but I won't hold Affleck accountable if that happens.

P.S. Thanks

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
As with others it's not the actor in which I have a problem. It's the possibility that this will be a Batman vs Superman movie. I don't want to see it. I know it's every fan's dream to see the battle unfold in live action, but it's just not a good premise for a hour and a half long movie (if not longer). The set up would be forced as at heart both characters aren't the type to just jump in and start swinging without some forethought. It's sad that Superman isn't getting a proper sequel before this team up. Despite this I can see an angle for why Batman (Bruce Wayne) would travel to Metropolis; rebuilding. In the move we do see Luthor's name/logo (towards the end mind you.) Mayhaps we'll see something from the wealthy villain?