Nvidia's New CFO is a Former Microsoft Executive

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Nvidia's New CFO is a Former Microsoft Executive

After a two-year search, Nvidia has finally selected a new Chief Financial Officer.

Most of us don't spend a lot of time worrying about Nvidia's staffing decisions. But for those of you who do care, you'll be happy to know that the company has finally selected a new Chief Financial Officer. Later this month, Colette Kress will begin manning the checkbook after moving in to the office of former CFO David White, who stepped down in 2011.

Kress isn't a newcomer to the technology industry. She recently spent three years as the vice president and chief financial officer for Cisco's Business Technology and Operations Finance division, and before working for Cisco, she spent 13 years at Microsoft.

"We have searched extensively for the right candidate and are thrilled to have Colette join us," said Jen-Hsun Huang, one of Nvidia's cofounders and current CEO. "She brings fantastic experience, excellent financial management skills and deep industry knowledge to NVIDIA. Colette will be a great asset as we work to extend our global leadership in visual computing, mobile and the cloud."

Her compensation package includes a $1.5 million signing bonus and a $500,000 salary. She's also eligible for another $550,000 in annual incentive pay, and will be receiving a handful of stock options and bonuses.

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/17/4740302/former-microsoft-cisco-exec-appointed-nvidia-evp-and-cfo]

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Her compensation package includes a $1.5 million signing bonus and a $500,000 salary. She's also eligible for another $550,000 in annual incentive pay, and will be receiving a handful of stock options and bonuses.
I'm currently looking for work for $15ish/hr with a signing bonus of not being unemployed.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Why is it, that all these executives run in the same circles and move from 1 executive job to another executive job regardless of how well the company they were at did? Why don't these corporations every promote from with in? Isn't that how it use to work?

It's a club and I'm not a member and neither are you.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Well she quit microsoft 3 years ago so she didnt see the worst of it i guess. also kinda no-name. first time i hear about her, so we never know what will happen. If Cisco had her for 3 years she definatelly did soemthing right there.

Formica Archonis said:
I'm currently looking for work for $15ish/hr with a signing bonus of not being unemployed.
So basically you want to be a CEO in a less wealthy country, like mine. Because CEOs earn less here.

synobal said:
Why is it, that all these executives run in the same circles and move from 1 executive job to another executive job regardless of how well the company they were at did? Why don't these corporations every promote from with in? Isn't that how it use to work?

experience. the most important part of your resume.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Oh god is this the Nokia - MS thing all over again, and then a year later MS buys out Nvidia with surprising ease.

misg

Apr 13, 2013
synobal said:
It's not that, it's the experience that comes with handing business on such a large scale. Also MS may not be popular in some peoples eyes, but they are still very successful. They have had a number of failings, but the fact is they are still very profitable. Feel free to check out this link showing the sheer massiveness of their revenue streams. http://www.tannerhelland.com/4273/microsoft-money-updated-2012/

I can see why Nvidia is excited for this person to join them. Calculating the numbers right can make or break a company no matter the size.