Bundle In a Box Offers a Baker's Dozen Indie RPGs

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Bundle In a Box Offers a Baker's Dozen Indie RPGs

The Indie RPG Bundle in a Box is big, cheap and very, very indie.

There are lots of game bundles to choose from these days, and while those that offer well-known, popular titles on the cheap tend to get all the attention, the Indie RPG Bundle in a Box is just too darn big to ignore. It's not quite pay-what-you-want, but the minimum price is $1.99 and honestly, if you're not willing to spend two bucks on this thing then it's probably not for you anyway.

So, for a couple bucks or more, you get Unemployment Quest, The Siege of the Necromancer, Hack Slash Loot, Styrateg, Inaria, Dungeon Fray, Empires & Dungeons 2 and Frayed Knights. The games are offered as DRM-free downloads or through Steam or Desura as available (a couple even have Mac and Linux versions) and a portion of the proceeds go to charity: Five percent of all funds raised is earmarked for the Hellenic Center for Mental Health and Treatment of Child and Family, also known as To Perivolaki (The Little Garden), and for every 100 bundles sold, $15 will be added to the Indie Dev Grant, which will be given to a developer chosen by Bundle in a Box buyers after the sale concludes.

As is the norm for game bundles these days, those who pay more than the average - currently just shy of five bucks - will score a hefty pile of extras, too: CoC: The Wasted Land, The Wizard From Tarnath Tor, Northmark: Hour of the Wolf, The Wizard's Lair and Telepath RPG: Servants of God. There are also universal extras that will unlock for everyone if 1000 bundles are sold, which appears inevitable at this point, including soundtracks and art for various games and a strategy guide for Frayed Knights.

These aren't mainstream, major-league RPGs of the Dragon Age or Witcher variety, but if you're willing to put up with less-than-cutting-edge graphics and the occasional rough edge, you may well find some pretty amazing things inside; the sheer volume and variety of this bundle is such that RPG fans are almost certain to find at least a couple of games that ring their bell. The Indie RPG Bundle in a Box is live now and runs until October 1.

Source: Bundle in a Box [http://bundle-in-a-box.com/#]

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Fuck, I just broke (and subsequently cancelled) my bank card :[

Anyone wanna buy it for me? :D No? :[

siveon

Jan 21, 2012
Not bad, actually. I mean other than the RPG Maker game and the terrible rougelikes (Looking at you Hack, Slash, Loot and you too Wizards Lair) this is pretty decent.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
So anyone played these games? Any particularly good ones? I'm coming to a point thanks to Humble Bundles, Steam Sales and Indie Royales where I've got more games than I can play (I mean you can play Fallout: New Vegas for 100+ hours and still miss major quest lines) so I'd be looking for something To The Moon good

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
siveon said:
Not bad, actually. I mean other than the RPG Maker game and the terrible rougelikes (Looking at you Hack, Slash, Loot and you too Wizards Lair) this is pretty decent.
Unemployment Quest? That's one of the ones that caught my eye, to be honest.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I would like to see some feedback on these games, too. It's an attractive package on the surface...But I ain't heard crap.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Hate to say it but I don't know anything about any of them. But for that price, even if you come up with just one or two that you like, you're doing alright.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Curious, I wanted to try out that Call of Cthulhu game for a while now (although from what I saw it looks more like a tactical turn-based game than an RPG; which I like every now and then). Guess I'll get it.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
I guess basically no one has played any of these, which really is too bad, because I'm curious myself. Then again, some of them seem to be a sort of electronic choose-your-own-adventure book, which seems like it'd have a limited audience (I'm not quite sure if that's an awesome idea or a dumb one). A lot of these might be rather niche, I guess is what I'm saying.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Thanks for this Andy, I'll take the plunge. I was wanting to buy Frayed knights when it first came out for full price and it's the only one I ever even heard of.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
Zeckt said:
Thanks for this Andy, I'll take the plunge. I was wanting to buy Frayed knights when it first came out for full price and it's the only one I ever even heard of.
So just out of curiosity, have you tried it yet, and if so, how is it? There's only a couple of days left to go in the sale, and I'm still on the fence. The purchase would be a lot easier to justify if I knew that at least one of the games was reasonably good.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
The_Great_Galendo said:
Zeckt said:
So just out of curiosity, have you tried it yet, and if so, how is it? There's only a couple of days left to go in the sale, and I'm still on the fence. The purchase would be a lot easier to justify if I knew that at least one of the games was reasonably good.
I tried them all except Telepath RPG because I could not get it to work. Unemployment quest was merely okay but did not even take me 2 hours to complete. None of the roguelikes are particularly good, and I honestly found the 2 gameplay books infuriating but I can see how their appeal as my friend collects them himself. I dislike the luck aspect of them though. I only played Styrteg for half an hour but from what I played I was impressed, but I'm not going to delve into it right now due to the learning curve. The call of chtulu game is surprisingly fun but I have not played it much. Frayed Knights is definitely the best out of the bunch though. I did not play empires and dungeons enough to give an opinion. Inaria feel's like you are playing a pc rpg from 1989, like ultima 1-3.

So in otherwords Frayed Knights, CoC wasteland and Styrateg are the best. Maybe Empires and dungeons too but I can't say. The rest were not really worth installing, especially the roguelikes.

The_Great_Galendo

Sep 14, 2012
Zeckt said:
Wow! I didn't expect such full reviews of everything -- I thought you'd maybe have tried one, two if I were lucky. Thanks, that helps a lot. Not that I'd likely have played the roguelikes anyway, but at least now I know to give at least some of the others a chance.

Also, I checked the system requirements, and it seems that Telepath requires something called Adobe AIR to be installed on your computer for the game to run. Just a guess, but that might have been the reason the game didn't work.