Nolan North "Couldn't Believe" PS4 Gameplay

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
Nolan North "Couldn't Believe" PS4 Gameplay

Nolan North (and his golden voice) isn't exactly a professional critic, but he's seen the PS4 and he's impressed.

Being one of the most prolific voice actors in the industry, Nolan North tends to get sneak peeks at all the cool toys. Naturally that means he's seen Sony's PlayStation 4 in action, and from the sound of things, he likes what he sees. North recently mentioned his thoughts on the PS4 and how it will impact the games of the next generation, and it sounds like he expects the console to be a pretty big deal.

"I've seen some of the prototypes of the PS4," North says. "It's an amazing machine. I think it's going to step up the game for every game... whether it's Uncharted, God of War, Call of Duty, all these games are going to benefit from just the technology that they're putting out." It should be noted that even though North has acted in all of those series, there's no official word on PS4 entries to the Uncharted or God of War sagas... yet.

"I've seen some stuff, gameplay ... I don't remember what game it was, but they were doing some testing on the PS4 and I couldn't believe it was gameplay," North continues. "It's extraordinary technology."

Nolan North is credited for well over a hundred video games from the past generation, and it's safe to assume you'll hear his pipes in more than a few in the next gen as well.

Source: Gamer Hub [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKvUHSjK9LI]

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
And yet this killer machine wont run BF4 in 1080...

I kind of feel odd about this gen. I won't have to upgrade my 2 year old system to equal a ps4/one which leads be to think that the power gap could increase far more than this gen did. Which kind of depresses me as there won't be a huge jump in graphics.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I guess he isn't a PC gamer. If Clarke's third law holds true the graphics on my PC would seem like magic to him.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Not to slight Nolan. I like him as an actor. But he's not a gamer in the least. He's on record saying he didn't even play Uncharted. So I'm disinclined to pay much heed to his interpretations of either games or hardware.

That's not to say I'm not excited about the PS4 either. I'll be lining up on day one.

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
To be fair, this non-gaming actor's opinion on the PS4's graphical capabilities is still more valid than those anonymous developers and their supposed (and incredibly abstract) "50-percent-stronger" stance.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
sneakypenguin said:

I kind of feel odd about this gen. I won't have to upgrade my 2 year old system to equal a ps4/one which leads be to think that the power gap could increase far more than this gen did. Which kind of depresses me as there won't be a huge jump in graphics.
There's more to games than just graphics, not to mention were basically already at the point where hardware isn't the limiting factor.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Not to slight Nolan. I like him as an actor. But he's not a gamer in the least. He's on record saying he didn't even play Uncharted. So I'm disinclined to pay much heed to his interpretations of either games or hardware.

That's not to say I'm not excited about the PS4 either. I'll be lining up on day one.

By this do you mean he literally doesn't game, or that he's not a hardcore gamer? I mean, there are plenty of gamers who haven't played Uncharted. Any gamer who doesn't own a Playstation, for instance.

I agree that his opinion is merely that, though. I'm just confused by your comment, is all.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Quantum Glass said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

By this do you mean he literally doesn't game, or that he's not a hardcore gamer? I mean, there are plenty of gamers who haven't played Uncharted. Any gamer who doesn't own a Playstation, for instance.

I agree that his opinion is merely that, though. I'm just confused by your comment, is all.
Before I say anything, please know that I do not mean any disrespect to him. He's my President's voice in SR4 just because he is awesome. I have huge respect for him and his body of work.

My comment was regarding an interview he did with the Giant Bomb guys and said he's not a gamer. And I'm pretty sure he said he didn't even play the games he'd been in, though I'd have to double check to make sure of all the specifics. He doesn't identify as a gamer in other words.

And again, I don't mean this as a judgement. He was obviously too busy perfecting his craft to play games and that is certainly not a derogatory remark.

I'll see if I can dig up a link for you. It's a pretty entertaining interview, though a bit on the lengthy side so I wouldn't watch it if you have other things to do.

EDIT: Found the link. It's almost 40 minutes long, but worth watching if you have the time. :)
http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/northern-exposure-our-chat-with-nolan-north/2300-5394/

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
"I would also like to thank Sony Entertainment for the new car I received for my 3 years of affiliation with their company."

"Wait, that wasn't part of the script?"

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
ZZoMBiE13 said:
Before I say anything, please know that I do not mean any disrespect to him. He's my President's voice in SR4 just because he is awesome. I have huge respect for him and his body of work.

My comment was regarding an interview he did with the Giant Bomb guys and said he's not a gamer. And I'm pretty sure he said he didn't even play the games he'd been in, though I'd have to double check to make sure of all the specifics. He doesn't identify as a gamer in other words.

And again, I don't mean this as a judgement. He was obviously too busy perfecting his craft to play games and that is certainly not a derogatory remark.

I'll see if I can dig up a link for you. It's a pretty entertaining interview, though a bit on the lengthy side so I wouldn't watch it if you have other things to do.
Ah, I see.

No worries. I just wasn't sure if it was conjecture on your part, rumour, a matter of definitions (As in, not viewing casual gamers as relevant to the issue at hand) or something straight from his mouth. Since gaming has lost it's stigma in recent years, it wouldn't be unusual for him to be a gamer, hardcore or otherwise. My apologies.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Quantum Glass said:
ZZoMBiE13 said:

Ah, I see.

No worries. I just wasn't sure if it was conjecture on your part, rumour, a matter of definitions (As in, not viewing casual gamers as relevant to the issue at hand) or something straight from his mouth. Since gaming has lost it's stigma in recent years, it wouldn't be unusual for him to be a gamer, hardcore or otherwise. My apologies.
Yeah, going back and rereading my words I can see how that might be misconstrued. Tone isn't always easy to infer from text alone.

For the record though, and I know you don't know me from Adam, but I am the least judgmental person you're likely to meet anywhere. Especially online. And especially over something as subjective as choice of hobby.

Nolan North is one of my favorite personalities in and tangential to gaming. I think he's great at not only what he does but what he represents to gaming as a whole. But that said, I couldn't recognize him as an authority on this particular topic is all I meant.

But thanks for discussing it with me just the same. :)

beez

May 21, 2013
Imagine what he'd say if games were developed for the PC in the first place.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Actually remember something similar when the PlayStation 2 came out and George Lucas gushed about it in an article. Something about how he could have used it to make Star Wars. It's all marketing as far as I'm concerned, though.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
What is to be blown away by exactly? Playing the same old games with the same old controller on old technology? Marketing is marketing I suppose.

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
I think Nolan North has a lot of talent (no really) but I know he's not the most avid gamer, so I'm sure it seems radically different to him. I'd be more interested in hearing what Troy Baker has to say about any encounters with next-gen systems - he's a voice actor and a regular gamer.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well funnily enough my mom saw Wii being played at the hospital she recently visited and was over the moon of what modern games can look like...
In other words for people who aren't in the loop pretty much anything will be impressive.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
I don't know much about his personal life, and I don't want to. But I think without video games and Uncharted specifically, he would be a somewhat unknown voice actor you hear in the background or something.

God bless Nolan.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
sneakypenguin said:

there will. consoles have the benefit of not needing drivers and coding striaght to the machine. also stnadartized machine allows eaiser experience in coding. there wil lbe a jump. nothing "mind melting" but there will be one. and this is why im worried slightly. i plan to buy new PC next year and i fear that it wont last me for 5 years because of the graphics jump.

Berny Marcus said:
I don't know much about his personal life, and I don't want to. But I think without video games and Uncharted specifically, he would be a somewhat unknown voice actor you hear in the background or something.

God bless Nolan.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0636046/reference
he has starred in 242 videogames. im pretty sure you can find one or two popular ones you like.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Strazdas said:
consoles have the benefit of not needing drivers and coding striaght to the machine.
No. That's not true.

Even if it were that wouldn't be a benefit, it'd be a massive disadvantage. A driver's a good thing. It does things for you more efficiently than you ever could. It means vastly less work for you as a programmer and you end up with a much faster application.

Do you have any idea how long development times would be if games were truly coded straight to the machine in assembly? The amount of bugs there'd likely be? The extremely small amount of programmers even capable of such a thing?

There are extremely good reasons we have abstraction layers in computing. And the PS4 and XBox One have them as well. I mean they're freaking using OpenGL and DirectX respectively, that's even further removed from the machine than just a driver. Which is great, because it means less work for programmers to make faster games with more possibilities.