Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD Launch This Winter

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Final Fantasy X and X-2 HD Launch This Winter

<youtube=dW06Dv8ImTs>​
The remastered titles will be available for both the PS3 and the PS Vita in stunning graphics.

Square Enix product manager Adrian Chen revealed today that Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster will be released this winter in North America. Released in 2001, it's been over 10 years since the original Final Fantasy X came out. Both titles will be available on the same disc for the PS3, and they will be sold separately on the Vita.

In a trailer revealed at the Tokyo Game Show, Square Enix showed the remastered HD graphics for the two games. The video shows footage from the Japanese version of both cutscenes and battles, reminding all of us that Square Enix still has grandiose visuals.

The titles will also support crossplay, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/125690-Final-Fantasy-X-X-2-HD-Remasters-on-PS3-Vita-Will-Support-Cross-Play ] meaning players can pick up on the Vita where they left off on the PS3 version of the game, and vice versa. However, the games are sold separately.

Those who preorder the game will receive a Limited Edition art book package, containing original concept art from the early development of Final Fantasy X and X-2. It will also contain commentary from the original development team members and a message to the fans from producer Yoshinori Kitase.

Final Fantasy X was one of the best-selling games for the PS2. In comparison, Final Fantasy X-2 sold half as well. Square Enix first announced the HD remastered titles in 2011 for the tenth anniversary of the original title, though this year marks 10 years since X-2's release.

Source: PlayStation [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/19/final-fantasy-xx-2-hd-remaster-coming-this-winter-new-trailer-debuted/]

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
I'm still of two minds about these.

On the one hand, I might pick up X on the Vita just to round out my Final Fantasy collection on it a little more, because saying the PS2 version hasn't exactly aged well is being more than a little generous.

On the other hand, it's got a lot of the same niggling problems that I have with Final Fantasy XIII and while I still consider it a better game, I'm not sure if they would be more of an issue for me now, roughly seven years after I originally played it and after having played through VII, IX, and XII all a second or third time in the meantime.

uchytjes

Mar 19, 2011
For all the hate it gets, Final Fantasy X was, in my opinion, the last truly great Final Fantasy. After X, we've had 2 MMOs (I don't really like MMOs. Mostly because my internet sucks, but also because grinding), FF12 (an actually pretty well done game, but not really much of a final fantasy game), FF13 (never played it, don't plan on it either) and a myriad of other sequels/reboots.

My only qualm is that it doesn't really look that much better graphically. I mean, that sinspawn boss that was shown looks pretty much the exact same.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I wish this was coming out a year earlier. FFX is one of my favourite all time games but my PS2 disc is unusable. But now I've got to decide whether to pay for the nice version on the soon to be dead console or the cheaper version on the definitely dead console

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
FFX is my favourite by far, 8 comes a close second.

Been waiting ages for a UK release date as everywhere kept changing information!

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
uchytjes said:
For all the hate it gets, Final Fantasy X was, in my opinion, the last truly great Final Fantasy. After X, we've had 2 MMOs (I don't really like MMOs. Mostly because my internet sucks, but also because grinding), FF12 (an actually pretty well done game, but not really much of a final fantasy game), FF13 (never played it, don't plan on it either) and a myriad of other sequels/reboots.

My only qualm is that it doesn't really look that much better graphically. I mean, that sinspawn boss that was shown looks pretty much the exact same.
Agree completly. I love X and it was the last FF I liked. 12 had good gameplay but was just a bad return of the Jedi rip off in the story department.

As for release date news. Fuck North America tell us when we brits get it SE!

sirjeffofshort

Oct 2, 2012
Huh, I was hoping we'd get a more concrete date at this point. I've had mine pre-ordered for a while now so I'm really looking forward to it. Between this and the KH HD 1.5 Remix, I've really taken a liking to the trend of all my old favorites getting preserved for an HD world.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
FF9 was always my favorite final fantasy. I quit playing them after X though. I really enjoyed the tone in FF9, it kept me playing for ages.

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
I'm pretty excited for this. I didn't expect it to come out before next year, though a winter release makes sense, so I'm pleasantly surprised that I'll get to play X and X-2 again sooner than I thought. I haven't played either game in quite awhile, but I can certainly see the difference with HD (at least with the in-game models, which look a lot smoother; the FMV always looked stunning to me) and I like it. After buying a few HD collections of games I previously owned for PS2, I made a rule that I won't be buying any more of them, but I can't help making an exception for X/X-2. I love Final Fantasy, I'm stoked to experience them again on my Vita, plus I never did finish X, so this will be the perfect opportunity to do so.
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hope its coming soon to Europe.

Also, both will be separate games on the Vita, but on 1 disc on the PS3...

Are the Vita versions separably priced or just on different cartridges?
There's been no official word on it as far as I'm aware, but I've always been under the impression that they will be sold and priced separately. I think it will remain equal to the price of getting the PS3 collection though, or possibly be a wee bit cheaper as Vita versions tend to be.

My only concern is that it doesn't appear that you'll get the art book if you pre-order the Vita versions, but next time I'm at EB Games I'm going to ask about this. The clerks at my local store tend to be really nice, so they might give me the bonus for pre-ordering both even if the promotion isn't set up that way.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
TizzytheTormentor said:
Hope its coming soon to Europe.

Also, both will be separate games on the Vita, but on 1 disc on the PS3...

Are the Vita versions separably priced or just on different cartridges?
Different cartridges, and they can't hold as much as a PS3 Bluray disc so that's why I'd assume.

OT: Welp, looks like I might actually be able to restart my LP of Final Fantasy X International again with these copies since it is the International. Before my PS2 International copy was just screwing up so much, and for some odd reason the recordings' audio and video would glitch out a lot so I had to cancel it. Looks like this time should I should be able to do it and hopefully continue it.

For me Final Fantasy X was my first Final Fantasy, and while it's not my favorite one ever I still love the game a lot really.
Now for me to announce that I'm gonna LP Final Fantasy XII International because every time I do an LP of an imported Square Enix game they suddenly announce an HD remake of it (happened with HD 1.5 as I was doing Final Mix 100% and translating it, only to find out it was being made later), and I do like XII so an HD remake of the International version that fixed so many of the problems that the original XII had would be great. XD

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
Honestly I can't see that the graphics have improved that much from the video, though no doubt if I were to compare them on my own TV at home it would be more noticeable. Of course I'll still be buying it (come on give us an EU release date!), love FFX so much.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
I'm kinda only buying this one in the hopes that they'll do XII next. The Zodiac version. Which I can already play on my PC, but I wouldn't mind an official release. Also, I always thought Square was at their best when ripping off Star Wars. IV and XII. Those are my two favourites out of the series.

2HF

May 24, 2011
I can't wait for all those glorious hours of Blitzball! I just hope they stopped teams from signing players for 99 games, that was some ol' bullshit!