PS4 Controller Design Influenced by "Major FPS Creators"

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
PS4 Controller Design Influenced by "Major FPS Creators"

Sony worked with consumers and developers to get the DualShock 4 just right.

Sony consulted with "major FPS developers" while designing and testing the PS4's DualShock 4 controller, according to Sony's Mark Cerny. Speaking with IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/19/major-shooter-studios-helped-sony-settle-on-dualshock-4s-design] this week at Tokyo Game Show, Cerny explained that Sony was sending their ideas to certain unnamed developers looking for their input on specific issues while testing a "ridiculously broad" range of prototypes.

"We sent out prototypes to major FPS creators," said Cerny. "We looked at the top-selling titles, if they were people we could talk to, we began sending over a stream of controllers. And we would ask them things like concavity or convexity, or trigger pressure, or trigger location, or accuracy, or the like."

Given the continued popularity of games like Call of Duty and Battlefield, it makes sense that Sony would prioritize making a console compatible with first-person shooters. Though many DualShock 4 prototypes were tested by consumers, Cerny said the developers' influence extended beyond feedback: "It was extremely helpful to have the designers of some of the top FPSes on our controller design project."

PS4 is expected to have four FPS titles available at launch: Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Killzone: Shadow Fall, and Blacklight: Retribution.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/19/major-shooter-studios-helped-sony-settle-on-dualshock-4s-design]

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I'm amazed that they've decided to tailor to such an obscure genre of gaming. I've always wanted first-person shooters to finally get the recognition they deserve.

It's good to see they're looking out for the little guy.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
Yeah there's something rather wrong about all this talk of "optimizing" a control scheme for something that it's pretty terrible for due to it's very design.

But unfortunately I don't think mice will ever be popular in the living room due to needing a flat surface to operate on...so analog sticks will have to do -_-

Tortilla the Hun

Decidedly on the Fence
May 7, 2011
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
dual analogues are an objectively inferior way to controlling FPS games than either KB+M or Wiimote/PS Move.
I really couldn't agree more, but I do prefer using a controller with some games. It just feels more comfortable/natural to me.

More on topic, I'm really glad to hear this. One thing I found lacking in the DualShock 3 was proper triggers, which was one thing that swayed my preferences further toward the overall design of the Xbox 360's controller. It was also the concavity of the thumbsticks that I rather liked, which I'm glad to see the DualShock 4 will be using.

rofltehcat

Jul 24, 2009
Interesting. I hope this will make FPS less bad on consoles. Going from keyboard + mouse to controlling a FPS with a controller is excruciating.
Controllers are great for many other games, though. I prefer playing most 2D games with a controller and also used a controller when I played Dishonored (ghost run) and Tomb Raider for example.

I'd just prefer it if consoles would let people decide for themselves if they want to use mouse+keyboard or a controller but I guess then people would see one or the other as having an unfair advantage. If they close that gap enough, people might maybe get more freedom for their control scheme choice.

Riotguards

Feb 1, 2013
never heard anyone asking for a share button or any feature like it

the only people who might have asked were LP'ers who can't afford anything other than a potato

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Evil Smurf said:
I swear I've read this before. I'm not going crazy am I?
Cerny has said this sort of thing before when talking about the new Dualshock. Which is funny because *dons flameproof armour* dual analogues are an objectively inferior way to controlling FPS games than either KB+M or Wiimote/PS Move.
I think that is subjective. I still use a gamepad when playing shooters on PC and I'm not outmatched most of the time (at least until I come up against players who are obviously better than me). I honestly think it all comes down to personal preference. I personally don't think the Wiimote/PS Move is superior to anything as an FPS control scheme, but you may be able to hold your own due to enjoying the way it plays.

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
rofltehcat said:
Interesting. I hope this will make FPS less bad on consoles. Going from keyboard + mouse to controlling a FPS with a controller is excruciating.
Controllers are great for many other games, though. I prefer playing most 2D games with a controller and also used a controller when I played Dishonored (ghost run) and Tomb Raider for example.

I'd just prefer it if consoles would let people decide for themselves if they want to use mouse+keyboard or a controller but I guess then people would see one or the other as having an unfair advantage. If they close that gap enough, people might maybe get more freedom for their control scheme choice.
Like I said to Jeffers, I think it really comes down to personal preference. While you had trouble making the leap to consoles, I had trouble making the leap to PC, but to my delight I was still able to use a gamepad with a little configuring. It just feels natural to me.

I do agree that they should allow use of KB+M on consoles though. More freedom to play your way is never a bad thing, and playing FFXIV: ARR on PS3 would be so much easier if they added in that option...

Church185

Apr 15, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Both KB+M and Motion Controls offer a greater degree of movement and fidelity than the tiny little circle of movement analogue sticks offer. Moreover, it's easier to guide the movement of a reticule with hand/wrist based control, as with mouse and Wiimote, than it is with your thumbs. In that sense, KB+M and Wiimote/Move offer more of a 1:1 relation between your input and the action happening on screen than thumbsticks, where small circular movements have to be converted into large reticule movements.

Look at it this way: why do console shooters generally have to use so much auto-aim or aim-assist?

Look at some of the shooter games that came out for Wii, or check out footage of Black Ops II played with a Wiimote on Wii U. The level of control offered over aiming, the responsiveness of the reticule, are all much superior than a regular controller. When Resident Evil 4 was remade for Wii, one of the most common points brought up was that the controller made the game far easier, as it was much much easier to land headshots on enemy zombies.

Controller ergonomics is a very real thing, and while analogue sticks are absolutely wonderful for things like 360-degree movement, and while many genres play better with a controller, FPS games are not one of them.
I disagree, I've had a lot of success playing BF3 on PC. I had to get used to the lack of aim assist at first, but now I'm rarely ever dominated by a community that probably is a majority of KB+M users.

It's all down to practice, and your familiarity with your chosen control scheme.

MrRaggaedeman

Nov 18, 2009
While I agree that M+K is probably the better way of controlling any kind of shooter, I never understood why people say that you have to be some kind of prodigy child to compete with M+K-players. It's not really that hard, even without auto-aim. All you need is some time to get a good feeling for the controller and the rest is up to practice.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
The PS3 controller really did have a long way to go, for shooters and for other games. The analog sticks were too far from the handles, and too close to each other, which was hell for dual-analog games when your thumbs accidentally bump, and when people with shorter thumbs have trouble staying on 'em for extended periods. The convex grips increased the likelihood of slip, as did the convex L2 and R2 triggers, which also weren't springy enough, making it hard to keep consistent pressure on them if you weren't maxing 'em out. Even the handles needed improvement, being functional but not particularly ergonomic or comfortable to hold for extended periods of time, because of an odd, non-hand-fitting shape which was only even barely passable in 1994 with the original PlayStation. The light weight of the Sixaxis (somewhat mitigated with the DualShock 3, but not enough) also decreased sturdiness and increased odds of accidentally moving the gamepad itself from a button press.

The PS4 controller seems to improve on this in nearly every regard. Really, the only things that seem the same are the D-Pad and face buttons, which were fine on the PS3. I'm not sure how it'll compare to the Xbox One controller, but it definitely looks like a solid contender, certainly moreso than the Sixaxis/DualShock 3, which were only really better for 2D games.

MrRaggaedeman said:
While I agree that M+K is probably the better way of controlling any kind of shooter, I never understood why people say that you have to be some kind of prodigy child to compete with M+K-players. It's not really that hard, even without auto-aim. All you need is some time to get a good feeling for the controller and the rest is up to practice.
Because with an analog stock, there's a significant tradeoff between speed and precision, depending on how high your sensitivity is set. Too high, and it's too easy to overshoot your target. Too low, and it takes too long to aim at enemies behind you. This is just fine in slower-paced shooters like Halo and CoD, but in a high-speed, high-precision shooter like Counter-Strike, the difference is night and day.

P.S. Thanks

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Evil Smurf said:
Cerny has said this sort of thing before when talking about the new Dualshock. Which is funny because *dons flameproof armour* dual analogues are an objectively inferior way to controlling FPS games than either KB+M or Wiimote/PS Move.
Maybe rail shooting, but I cannot see a person actually playing on a competitive level of a full body controlled FPS. In terms of aiming, yes, the Wiimote would be better, but actually moving around, the analogs are superior, especially in terms of longer term playing. And I have to say I'd rather be able to move around more freely and aiming worse than having poor movement and better aiming. My style of play involves constant movement, in order of the Spy-Heavy to work his charm.

More on topic, ehhhh. I'd rather them work to make it more comfortable for all forms of gaming, not just FPS gaming. Though, I imagine it will probably still be a more comfortable controller all around.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
Evil Smurf said:
No Jeffers. Just no. Personal preference and completely open to subjectivity. Can't stand the Wiimote, and PS move isn't that great in my opinion. I definitely dig what they did with the PS4 controller and it's triggers/analog sticks.

Also it depends on the game.

Church185 said:
I do agree that they should allow use of KB+M on consoles though. More freedom to play your way is never a bad thing, and playing FFXIV: ARR on PS3 would be so much easier if they added in that option...
Interestingly enough, I'm on PC and use a PS2 controller. Do not care for the keyboard and mouse setup at all. Felt the same way about Final Fantasy XI, which to be fair, was designed even more around a controller. But hey, I suppose the option would nice. The only PS3 game I know of that takes KB+M input is Unreal Tournament 3.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Scrythe said:
I'm amazed that they've decided to tailor to such an obscure genre of gaming. I've always wanted first-person shooters to finally get the recognition they deserve.

It's good to see they're looking out for the little guy.
The sarcasm is strong in this one.. But seriously, I agree. I like FPS Games, but come on guys.. Look out for the other genres as well. Even though I like FPS, Racing games still remain my #1 genre. Too bad there's barely any good racing games out there..

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Wow, people are actually arguing that aiming precision and ergonomics is a preference now? I like the do it your own way but this is just ridiculous. Yes you can have preference for controller, and you can learn to use controller/keypad to beat the KB/mouse people, but a person of equal skill will always be better with MB/M due to simply fact that is is easier to precision aim at high speeds.
yes some of you learn to compensate with controllers by beging better players. that only means youd be much better if you used KB/M ocne you got over the habit of searching for keys in wrong places.