Grand Theft Auto V Breaks $1 Billion In Three Days

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Grand Theft Auto V Breaks $1 Billion In Three Days

Grand Theft Auto V has hit the Big Billion mark faster than any other entertainment property in history.

It's not the most surprising news of the day, given that Grand Theft Auto V covered most of the ground on its first day [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127931-Grand-Theft-Auto-V-Sells-800-Million-On-Launch-Day] of sales, but now it's official: From zero to $1 billion in three days, making it what Take-Two believes is the undisputed king of the billion-dollar drag race.

"Grand Theft Auto is a cultural phenomenon and Rockstar Games continues to redefine what can be achieved in interactive entertainment," Take-Two Chairman and CEO Strauss Zelnick said in a statement. "We are incredibly proud of the extraordinary critical and commercial response to Grand Theft Auto V."

Bear in mind that GTA V isn't just the king of the videogame castle, but is lord and master of all it surveys. It took the previous videogame record holder, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Filmonic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120936-Black-Ops-II-Reaches-1-Billion-Milestone-Faster-Than-MW3] - more than six times longer.

"Cultural phenomenon," indeed.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Ok. I think it's fair to say that GTA is king of the castle now. Well, time for Rockstar to channel Scrooge McDuck. You can't use the money as a pool, but it'd make a good bed.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Of course, the question is if it will be fondly remembered within the next ten to twenty years. It can make millions - and now billions - of dollars, but that won't mean much of anything except for Rockstar's financial future and the record books unless it's something everyone will still be talking about.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
Bear in mind that GTA V isn't just the king of the videogame castle, but is lord and master of all it surveys. It took the previous videogame record holder, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Filmonic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/120936-Black-Ops-II-Reaches-1-Billion-Milestone-Faster-Than-MW3] - more than six times longer.
I do think the actual number of copies sold is important to consider when we're comparing games to films. I'm not so sure about the States, but here in the UK a new console game will set you back about £40 whereas a film ticket is more like £10. Even with the boost from 3D tickets, a film needs to sell a lot more tickets to break a billion than a game needs to sell discs.

Still, damned impressive, there's no denying it. Even if its budget was upwards of $200 million, I'm sure all concerned can agree it was a good investment.

ron1n

Jan 28, 2013
Shudder to think how big the next one will be.

Although this was arguably the perfect sales storm, what with the extended current console generation well and truly saturating the market.

Wouldn't be surprised if we start to see some A list holywood talent lining up to get a role in this franchise in the future given its profile.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Maybe this means all the CoD gnomes jumped ship to a new franchise, given how much some people are foaming at the mouth over a 9/10 review score I'd say at least a few have left the fetid pastures of Activision to nibble at the latest Rockstar have to offer. Until Call of Dog comes out that is.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I want to scratch my face. This is insane. Video games are becoming bigger than movies and TV faster than anyone had expected.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Movie ticket prices - $10-$12

Video game prices - $60

Differences in media consumption, overall production cost and profit margins that could warrant discussion of "true" success - apparently none.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
ron1n said:
Wouldn't be surprised if we start to see some A list holywood talent lining up to get a role in this franchise in the future given its profile.
Well, Samuel L Jackson, Gary Busey, Chuck D, Phil Collins, Peter Fonda, Dennis Hopper, Ray Liotta (as Tommy Vercetti!), Michael Madsen, Iggy Pop, Axl Rose, Tom Sizemore, Danny Trejo, Timothy Spall, James Woods and Burt Fucking Reynolds are in previous GTA games.

I don't think Hollywood's triple A crew will ever want to front a video game, compared to a movie there's no money in it. Movie actors get a percentage or huge up front fees, game voice actors get a set fee and kicked out the door (which is why Nolan North is always busy).

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
Not surprised with the price they're charging. Note that, in the UK alone, the game costs 4 times the amount that The Avengers did, and that's not even touching GTAV special editions.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
Maybe this means all the CoD gnomes jumped ship to a new franchise, given how much some people are foaming at the mouth over a 9/10 review score I'd say at least a few have left the fetid pastures of Activision to nibble at the latest Rockstar have to offer. Until Call of Dog comes out that is.
Nah, a GTA game comes every three to five years and it's a BIG deal even to non gamers, pretty much every adult gamer on the planet will get a hold of GTA V at some point as it presents a genuine technical step over it's predecessor. Call of Dog is an annual re-skin series like Fifa or Madden, people just buy it out of habit or because their sprog insists. There's a cross over in the player base, but it's hardly abandoning one for the other.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
1 billion in three days? Damn now that's impressive. Rockstar deserves every cent for making such an awesome game! Congrats Rockstar.

idarkphoenixi

May 2, 2011
And imagine how much more they would have made if they bothered to make a damned pc port. I'm only grumbling because there's no way I can get my hands on this until then.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
CriticalMiss said:
I wanna see how Ghost does in comparison to GTA V after reading this.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Holy balls they made that much with just two consoles, well that goes to show that consoles can still sell their games well enough.

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Goodness gracious great balls of fire!

With all the crazy praise surrounding this game and now these crazy sales on top of it all, man, it makes me wish I was a GTA fan.