EB Australia Apologizes For GTA V Cocaine Stunt

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EB Australia Apologizes For GTA V Cocaine Stunt

EB Games in Australia has apologized for a fake cocaine display that one of its stores set up for the Grand Theft Auto V midnight launch.

Bad behavior is par for the course in Grand Theft Auto and so I suppose that if you squint while you look at it and don't think too much, cutting up lines of fake nose candy on a store counter for a big GTA launch event sort of makes sense. It made enough sense to the staff at an EB Games outlet in Queensland, Australia that they went ahead and did it, and now, in what will surely come as a shock to absolutely no-one who doesn't work in that store, EB Games has had to put out a big ol' apology for the whole thing.

"Regrettably, one of our EB Games store locations in Queensland set up an unauthorized display within the store in support of the launch of the Grand Theft Auto V videogame," spokeswoman Debra McGrath told the Brisbane Times. "The display included a white powdery substance that appeared to be some form of an illegal drug."

Fortunately for all involved, the white powdery substance was not a half-key of finely cut Bolivian flake, but "sherbert," a type of fizzy candy, and at no point did the store attempt to give away (or, presumably, sell) the fizzy-candy-that-was-definitely-not-cocaine. "This was an isolated incident, and we apologize for any offense this may cause," McGrath said.

It's hard to imagine that anyone would think that a worthwhile coke habit is affordable on a retail wage, but even harder to believe that nobody looked at this and thought that maybe it might not be the smartest bit of marketing ever unleashed on the general public. Then again, this is Australia we're talking about, and I'm suddenly starting to think that maybe they shouldn't be allowed to play with M-rated games [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/128000-Australian-Government-Scrutinizes-Videogames-Classification-Rules] after all.

Source: Brisbane Times [http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/digital-life/games/eb-games-apologises-over-gold-coast-cocaine-stunt-20130917-2twrr.html]

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
We're sorry that we're so in touch with our media and client base that we decorated our store appropriately to make the launch of an adult game memorable.

*sigh*, they even carded kids before they entered the store. No one was going into the store for any reason other than to buy GTA V at this midnight launch.

Oh noes! Fizzy candies in a line!

I really wish more game stores would be creative like this. EB games should have just laughed at the media since this was hand tailored for the people who actually give them money, their customers. Nice to know EB is still in business. Nothing but gamestops here.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
While the back lash was inevitable, I really wish we could do cool stuff like this without the Save the Children brigade waiting to pounce.

Was there seriously anyone who wanted to buy GTA but found this offensive? Did anyone really think it was cocaine?

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
rees263 said:
Was there seriously anyone who wanted to buy GTA but found this offensive? Did anyone really think it was cocaine?
Well considering how sensitive and harsh Australia's government can be, I can see why some people might be alarmed at even a prop of illegal drugs.

WWmelb

Sep 7, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Then again, this is Australia we're talking about, and I'm suddenly starting to think that maybe they shouldn't be allowed to play with M-rated games
I realise this is tongue in cheek, but it comes off as a bit of a cock of a way to put things. Us Aussies are trying hard to get our games unfiltered as we deserve, but you make the suggestion that gamers themselves here aren't mature enough to handle mature content.

Normally i'm not offended, maybe i'm just tired. But that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Food for thought.

Shinkicker444

Dec 6, 2011
I thought this was an awesomely fitting stunt, maybe this store deserves a finger shaking for it but no more than that. His screen would have been a downright mess by the end of the night.. yeesh, what a pain that would be to clean up.
Friend who's a manager for EB was talking about it to, and he thought it was funny, but kinda silly to do because of just this reason.

capcha: the tribe has spoken. -oh rly?

Draconalis

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2008
Lightknight said:
Nice to know EB is still in business. Nothing but gamestops here.
EB and Gamestop are the same company now.

OT: I don't see the harm in it, and don't feel that it was news worthy, or worth apologizing for.

Honestly, as other have said, who was offended? Was someone upset that they dropped their card on it and it got dirty?

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
Revengineer said:
I understand that this is predominately a gaming website, and as such I understand when sites like the Escapist and other game reviewers point out how backward video game censorship is in Australia. You're right, it's shitty and it needs fixing. What I don't understand is why so many then decide to take it a step further and insult the Australian people and Australian gamers directly. One shop pulled this arguably immature stunt, not the entire gaming populace of the country, so why tar us all with the same brush accusing us of being more stupid or immature than American gamers? Apart from game censorship and up until our most recent election, Australia has historically been a lot more progressive than America. We are not all dumb and most of us are not so easily offended so as to freak out about a pretty tame stunt like this. It might not feel like it to a Yankee Doodle, but the negative and derisive attitude towards us Aussies lately is a mild form of racism. In closing, Fuck You.
I hear you. Hell, I'm from New Zealand and I find it offensive.

I thought this was actually creative, but naturally it is going to rustle some jimmies because of its morally-questionable nature. Not in the best taste, but they get points for trying something new and exciting for customers.

SadisticFire

Oct 1, 2012
Voulan said:
I thought this was actually creative, but naturally it is going to rustle some jimmies because of its morally-questionable nature. Not in the best taste, but they get points for trying something new and exciting for customers.
I disagree, that's sherbet fizz. It's DELICIOUS. I just wanna lick it up, buy more, and repeat the process.
But really, who the fuck was going to go "OH SHIT COCAIN" there. Who WOULD go OH SHIT COCAIN that wasn't there. It's fucking obvious it's not going to be actual drugs, and it's talking about a game that is meant for ADULTS(Not that kids are suddenly too immature to play it). Australia's government needs to chill the fuck out and not be so strict on games.

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
Revengineer said:
so why tar us all with the same brush accusing us of being more stupid or immature than American gamers?
Absolutely right.

Revengineer said:
In closing, Fuck You.
Wait, what?

In future, if you want to rant about people calling you immature, you probably shouldn't cuss them right at the end of your stirring monologue.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Caiphus said:
Revengineer said:
In closing, Fuck You.
Wait, what?
I believe the colloquial term here is... "he mad."

Also props to those employees for having a clue. It's almost like the higher ups at EB games haven't ever heard of, picked up, or played any Grand Theft Auto product in their lives. Bunch of out-of-touch dipshits.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
I understand how there would be a problem. Imagine if you're a patrolman doing his patrolly duty, and checks up on this shop only to see what looks to be a powdery white substance sitting on a counter, with all the tools necessary to accurately separate this white powder into sellable quantities. I mean, the idea of a drug operation being run out of the front counter (which is in plain sigh of everyone) of a video game shop is ludicrous, but a cop doesn't care about that shit, he cares about suspicious activity.
So, our patrolman calls it in, police officers descend on the shop like vultures, lots of arrests and flashing lights, plus bad publicity for EB, all over an unauthorized display. So, yeah, I can understand how they'd have a problem with this and completely agree with the horse they are having over this, although I do doubt the idea that people would find this offensive.

Last Hugh Alive

Jul 6, 2011
While I think the idea of it is cool and I'd personally like the display if I were there, it seems like such a dangerous idea from a marketing perspective.

I won't pine over censorship concerns or how this could potentially trigger motion in the "Media vs Games" discussion. It just surprises me a store would have the balls or the stupidity to do this since I've studied advertising from the marketing and conceptual sides and have (or had, it's been a while and I didn't pursue that career) knowledge on the amount of things you just do NOT bloody do. The mere implication of the context of this stunt was enough to backfire and hurt that company had it gone viral, which it did, and if they weren't ready for the attention then those involved may have been or could be in some serious trouble over this.

To summarize, REALLY irresponsible from a marketing perspective, not clever.

LastDarkness

Jul 9, 2010
I found this in no way offensive. I wouldnt even say in bad taste either. It was some fans expressing their support for a game thats just begining its controversial trip through the media.

In AU the game ratings are even more strict then in america, so no children were around or ever saw the event in person as the people there were all adults and fans of the game. Im also pretty sure no actualy thought it was real drugs but just a hilarious prop.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
WWmelb said:
Andy Chalk said:
Then again, this is Australia we're talking about, and I'm suddenly starting to think that maybe they shouldn't be allowed to play with M-rated games
I realise this is tongue in cheek, but it comes off as a bit of a cock of a way to put things. Us Aussies are trying hard to get our games unfiltered as we deserve, but you make the suggestion that gamers themselves here aren't mature enough to handle mature content.

Normally i'm not offended, maybe i'm just tired. But that really rubbed me the wrong way.

Food for thought.
I think 'they' is referring to the people that actually complained about the stand, not Australian gamers in general.

I could be wrong.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I wrote my first "banned in Australia" post in October 2007 - almost six full years ago. I've written many more since then. I've also expressed my sympathy and support for Australian gamers numerous times, as well as my ongoing disappointment with the failure of the Australian classification system to adequately support them. I have also zinged. Oh, how I have zinged.

The way I see it, Australian gamers and those in solidarity with them must take seriously the fight to elevate our chosen medium to equality with movies, music, books and television. But we must also maintain a sense of humour, or we will be angry all the time, and that's just not healthy.

I zing because I love. And because it's funny. (But mostly because I love.)

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Relevant to the promo itself, I think coke is a little too on point for GTA - appropriate for a Scarface game, maybe, but not really GTA. A better idea, I think, would be to do a fake "on location" radio broadcast in the style of one of the popular GTA IV stations - use the name, play the same kind of music, dress up like Axl Rose, run occasional ads for Pisswasser, that sort of thing. (Maybe slip in one or two for Friggin Chicken and see if anyone notices.) It's "real" GTA, plus great music, and nobody gets hassled for rolling out the snot carpeting.