International Conference Meets to Solve In-Game Hate Speech

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
International Conference Meets to Solve In-Game Hate Speech

<youtube=hWpbD2mYNfo>​
The conference will take on the trolls, the haters, and the bullies to make a safer space in gaming.

Today marks the first day of the week-long GameOver Hate conference in Budapest. The conference will examine online hate, especially in gaming communities, and begin creating a network of people to recognize and react to hate.

David Pinto, one of the organizers for the conference, said he and Martin Fischer, another organizers for the conference, got the idea for the conference when they were playing Guild Wars 2 and thought a conference devoted to online respect in videogames would be interesting. "Games are relevant today," Pinto said. "And working for respect, inclusiveness, and diversity is important. Joining these two things together is something I find really interesting and very much urgent for our current (and future) generations."

A draft of the program shows that participants will examine gamification, the roles people play online, what developers want, a simulation on combating hate, and discussions on activism. The conference will also premiere GTFO - A Film About Women in Gaming. [http://www.gtfothemovie.com/]

Pinto admitted he thinks conflict will always stick around when many people interact. "That being said, there are some ways to minimize the worst of its manifestations. And as we focus more on this problem and talk about it, I think we'll get better at dealing with it. If we pay attention."

Source: Polygon [http://gameoverhate.tumblr.com/]

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Yeesh, it's gotten to be this big of a problem huh? I never did like it, hope they come up with something to at least lessen it.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
I'm wondering if it's as simple as raising dopamine addiction awareness. It's a quite powerful reactant for our brain, and can't be regulated as our own bodies produce it, and we might not even be aware of how severe such an addiction we might have as the brain would have no problem hiding it from us. What tends to happen when addicts quit cold turkey or can't get their fix? They suffer through withdrawal, and the hate speech we see in games might just be the most common symptom of dopamine withdrawal we are seeing.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
I question the effectiveness of this in curbing online hate speech, but they at least get an A+ for effort.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
I'M glad my skin is thick and i don't need to throw a international conference when ever someone makes fun of me, i would run of money quickly if that was the case

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
International conference on how to use block/mute/ignore function would be much more appropriate.

tmande2nd

Oct 20, 2010
We should just install MR T into every computer and gaming console.

Start smack talking?
Mr T comes out of the machine and smacks you!

"Show some respect to your fellow man foo!"
-WACK-

If nothing else it would be funny.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
Here's what you do. Have parents raise children, rather than xbox live. You're fucking welcome.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
T-Shirt Turtle said:
I question the effectiveness of this in curbing online hate speech, but they at least get an A+ for effort.
I would think mr. David Pinto and mr. Martin Fischer are getting good money for this, through NGOs and government donations. As such it disgust me, as most pointless wastes of money, but wish them the best.

ATM would be happy if Valve implemented a ban list in dota which prevented you from queueing with that people, only issue i have with my online gaming.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I hope they're successful in some way, even if the success is small. The community desperately needs it. Every little bit helps.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Chaosritter said:
"And working for respect, inclusiveness, and diversity is important. Joining these two things together is something I find really interesting and very much urgent for our current (and future) generations."

Jesus H. Christ...

There's this neat little thing called blocklist. Some dude can't control his potty mouth? Just mute him ffs.

When I play public matches, I usually mute the open in-game chat and set up a party with people I actually wanna talk to. Has proven to work just fine.

Also, what are they gonna do about it? Install a language scanner and kickban anyone who says a blacklisted word? This is censorship, nothing else.
Back when I played CoD, I used to actually make a game out of muting everyone in the room except the people that I already know/play with. The objective of the game was to mute so many people that I'd eventually start entering matches full of players that I've already muted.

The closest I ever got was getting into a match with all but 4 people already muted. :3

OT: Soooooo what, they'll make a pamphlet or two and put a video on the XBox and PS dashboards asking people to play nice? Do they have ANY idea about the demographic they're trying to reach? To the people they'd be trying to reach with this campaign, words like "gay" aren't actually words, they're commas.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
SecondPrize said:
Here's what you do. Have parents raise children, rather than xbox live. You're fucking welcome.
That would violate the international treaty that was signed in 1994 at the 'Global Convention to Alleviate Parental Responsibility and Blame Some Other Shit We Don't Like Instead'.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
SecondPrize said:
That would violate the international treaty that was signed in 1994 at the 'Global Convention to Alleviate Parental Responsibility and Blame Some Other Shit We Don't Like Instead'.
Damn that treaty.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Pyrian said:
They could have moderators. Oh, wait, that costs money. Nevermind.
LoL has it in the form of the tribunal. People thinks it's an abused kangaroo court.