GTA Online May Be Getting Microtransactions

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
GTA Online May Be Getting Microtransactions

A reddit user has discovered code in GTA Online that suggests microtransations may be added.

Ever wonder why it's so hard to make money in GTA Online? Reddit user 1880 sure did, and decided to dig around in the game's code to find out why. He discovered that opening the store in the game's pause menu requested this XML file [http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=S0Maeh28], which makes some worrying references to microtransactions, including the images you see to the right. The images are accompanied by the following description:

"Cash is king in this town. Solve your money problems and help get what you want across Los Santos and Blaine County with the purchase of cash packs for Grand Theft Auto Online. All purchased cash is automatically deposited into your character's bank account. Spend wisely, cash therapy is fleeting."

From this, it seems pretty obvious that Rockstar plans, or at least, planned, to add microtransactions to the game. However, this may just be something that they were just thinking about and decided to scrap, which is why we haven't heard anything about it before now.

Another theory is that the cards will be used as a kind of redeemable promotion, something akin to Borderlands 2's swift codes for golden keys. Or, they may be purchasable with the in-game credits you get for reaching levels or winning games.

So how do you feel about this news if it turns out to be true? Are you happy to be able to cut through the grind and buy cash directly, or are you upset that it may ruin game balance?

Source: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/GrandTheftAutoV/comments/1mx8a6/so_i_might_have_found_why_its_so_hard_to_make/]

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Maybe, maybe not. The issue of game balance is the same regardless of "paying to win" versus "casual vs hardcore gamer" debates. One will always have the advantage over the other. Some casuals will like being able to easily level the playing field, but it could make the tougher that much tougher to beat and easier for them to pick on people who aren't as "geared".

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Microtransactions are not automatically bad. If they're implemented well there's no fuss. What we don't know is the details of the implementation here, so there's not much to talk about really is there? I'd have been more surprised to learn there were no microtransactions in the game; I take it as par for the course with many onliney-type games.

wrightguy0

Dec 8, 2010
if R* were to add microtransactions they would do it in a way that wasn't intrusive to the player and would be totally optional, not some pay to win bs.

R* is a company that at least tries to do things right, maybe they scrapped the cash cards, maybe not, we'll find out in a week if it's true.

CpT_x_Killsteal

Elite Member
Jun 21, 2012
The problem I have with Micro-transactions is that resources are usually made scarcer and/or harder to come by or acquire. I am unable to truly trust that a game has not done this when they involve micro-transactions, because the more grinding you have to do, the more likely you are to buy into micro-transactions.

Not to mention this a game I have paid full price for. I'm fine with paying for the occasional DLC but if you're going to ask me to pay more money for pants, or worse; advanced weapons, xp bonuses, etc., then you can go f*ck yourself.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Jesus Christ Rockstar, I really like GTA V AND I'm looking forward to online, please don't fuck this up! Come on! You already have the best selling video game of all time, how much more fucking money do you need?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
It is a very simple reaction from me. If they introduce microtransactions it will end my interest in the game. And there won't be any going back on it either.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
You can buy and trick out every gun easily, the only use money have otherwise is property and cars.
Cars can be jacked and then it's just for upgrading them.

Sure, ingame cash can supposedly be used to unlock the biggest heists, due to the planning room feature thingie, but it can be unlocked just as well by playing more of the missions.

It will work as booster-packs, like the XP thing from BF3, nothing more at its worst.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
I'm glad I didn't buy it day one because if turns out to be true I can still boycott your game Rockstar! HA!

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
Ah... sooooo close.

We nearly had another clean major release since Skyrim on our hands. Oh well.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Antari said:
It is a very simple reaction from me. If they introduce microtransactions it will end my interest in the game. And there won't be any going back on it either.
james.sponge said:
I'm glad I didn't buy it day one because if turns out to be true I can still boycott your game Rockstar! HA!
I feel a sense of knee jerk reaction here with you two and both of you didn't seem to read anything past the headline. If this turns out to be true(which it probably isn't) it just means you can purchase in-game money with real money. That doesn't hurt the game at all since you can get the money by playing the game.

Oh, and with the infinite money glitch this seems just pointless.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
<Borderlands 2's swift codes for golden keys.
You mean SHiFT, right?

Adam Jensen said:
I think, if I were to ask people to raise their hands if they're surprised, I'd see no hands.
I'm a little surprised. This isn't an EA game.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Saucycarpdog said:
Antari said:
james.sponge said:
I feel a sense of knee jerk reaction here with you two and both of you didn't seem to read anything past the headline. If this turns out to be true(which it probably isn't) it just means you can purchase in-game money with real money. That doesn't hurt the game at all since you can get the money by playing the game.

Oh, and with the infinite money glitch this seems just pointless.
But then again if it turns out to be true Rockstar would be basically encouraging you to pay for cheats, how appalling is that? Anyway it would be silly if such idea ever crossed their minds.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Gearbox makes use of Shift, not Swift ;)

Anyway, as long as R* doesn't make it "pay to win" there's nothing to be upset about.

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
It doesn't much surprise me, and I already feel like I've gotten a tremendous amount of value (and will continue to) out of the game. If they want to sell me more GTA V and I feel like it's worth it, I'll pick it up. I've not purchased a whole lot more DLC than I have purchased, so yes, you can actually not buy DLC for a game when they release it.

actar411

Apr 14, 2010
They're call Shift Codes not Swift codes. Swift Codes are Business Identification Codes. Shift Codes are those things they put out on twitter. Just saying.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Considering how hard it is to make money in GTA V, I'm betting this'll just be a pay to win fiasco.

I hope I can play it with just my friends and no one else.