Rockstar Doesn't Know Why Your GTA Car Hole Ate Your Car

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Rockstar Doesn't Know Why Your GTA Car Hole Ate Your Car

At least, not yet, but driving another character's personal vehicle may have something to do with it.

It's a dilemma any car owner can empathize with: GTA players claim that their garages are devouring their tricked-out vehicles. The bug seems to affect upgraded vehicles in particular, and may kick in after mission completion. One minute the car's there, shining, magnificent; the next, gone, as if it had never been. Rockstar isn't sure how this happens, but wonders if the trigger is driving another character's personal vehicle. It doesn't have a means of getting the car back once it vanishes into the car hole's capricious maw.

Rockstar points out that a vehicle doesn't switch garages overnight, like some four-wheeled Flying Dutchman. If you leave it in Safehouse A's garage, it will stay in Safehouse A's garage; it doesn't also appear in Safehouses B and C as well. That's a design feature, not a bug. Though, if you're really lucky, you might have the experience one Guardian journalist claims to have had, when his garage spawned two cars [http://www.theguardian.com/technology/gamesblog/2013/sep/24/game-links-press-start] where only one was before.

Rockstar's working on the problem. "In the meantime," it says, "please try to avoid parking a car in a garage, driving one already in a garage, or getting in a default vehicle, when playing as a character other than the one with your upgrades."

Source: Rockstar [http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200218557-Vehicles-disappearing-from-the-GTA-V-garage-or-losing-upgrades]

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Wait but my cars save instantly when i customise them and are instantly available at any safe-house or rim jobs ... oh wait wrong game:p.

Gethsemani_v1legacy

Oct 1, 2009
alj said:
Wait but my cars save instantly when i customise them and are instantly available at any safe-house or rim jobs ... oh wait wrong game:p.
I can't tell you how many times I wished GTA V had a system similar to SR III/IV in that regards. Why would I spend ridiculous amounts of money customizing a car when it has a stupidly high chance of just disappearing on me? I mean, leave the car in the street and it gets impounded, forget to retrieve it and its' gone. If I kit out my Comet like crazy then I want to use it as much as possible, not let it stay in my garage indefinitely because I am afraid I might lose it or because it is such a damn hassle to get to it in the first place.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009

It's as good an excuse as any.

I think I'll be waiting on V until they work out all of these small but awful bugs.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
Dead Raen said:
It's as good an excuse as any.

I think I'll be waiting on V until they work out all of these small but awful bugs.
I am waiting for it on PC i mean you know someone will find a way to patch this "bug".

Saidan

Aug 22, 2013
The issue doesn't seem to affect the big garages that each character has, so I'm sticking to those for now.

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
Desert Punk said:
So they introduced an annoying feature for the sake of realism instead of enjoyment... Fuck rockstar.

Out of interest how many guns can you carry at once in that game? is that realistic?
Literally all of them at once. Including the mini-gun.

kailus13

Soon
Mar 3, 2013
"In the meantime," it says, "please try to avoid parking a car in a garage, driving one already in a garage, or getting in a default vehicle, when playing as a character other than the one with your upgrades."

So basically, don't play the game? 'cause you need to play as all 3 characters to progress.

Elementary - Dear Watson

RIP Eleuthera, I will miss you
Nov 9, 2010
MinionJoe said:
Karloff said:
If you leave it in Safehouse A's garage, it will stay in Safehouse A's garage; it doesn't also appear in Safehouses B and C as well. That's a design feature, not a bug.
Which means if you leave an expensive, tricked-out car in Franklin's aunt's garage, you will lose that car when he moves out. Because once Franklin leaves his aunt's, he can no longer access that garage.

Good job, Rockstar.
Franklin's Aunt is a *****... She probably took it as rent compensation or something... This is when you see the hussey driving it casually to the shops some time!

OT:

It would be naiive to think that a game this size would have no teething issues, but you would have thought this would have been noticed in testing!? Also... really Rockstar? Your advise is to practically walk everywhere?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
alj said:
And a far better system.

OT: I haven't done this once, and I still have lost saved cars.

XMark

Jan 25, 2010
Heh, I've always thought the idea of owning a car in a GTA game kind of goes against the spirit of it anyways. "Your" car is just whoever's car you're stealing at the moment :)

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Missing cars are the least of my problems...seeing as how I've got a bug in my game that locks me out of the strip club and thus prevents me from starting the final heist of the game.

Yeah, I'd much rather they focus on fixing things that LITERALLY BREAK THE GAME rather than finding out why people's garages are eating their cars.

For the record, though, I've lost a couple Infernusses (Infernusi?) to this bug as well.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and now my game won't even load up, it just stays on the opening loading screen and never actually gets to the game. So I've got to wait for a fix or start a new game entirely...neither of which are very appealing at the moment.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So Rockstar should have spent some more of their $300 million budget on QA testing? I don't really see why you would want a personal car in a GTA game anyway, just steal someone elses!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Where did my fancy sports car go Rockstar?! I spent thirty seconds stealing that thing from some unlucky ************ in front of my house!

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
This is why I don't upgrade my cars in any open world games, unless the upgrades are persistent (IE extra armor, health, etc).