Fox's Gotham Will Have More Police, Less Batman

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Fox's Gotham Will Have More Police, Less Batman

Rome writer Bruno Heller will work on Fox's Gotham, a pre-Batman show dealing with Commissioner Gordon's early career.

Batman fans might find themselves tuning into Fox sometime in the near future. While the Dark Knight himself won't be making any Fox-related appearances, the network will still be getting a slice of DC in the form of Gotham. Focused on the early career of future police-Commissioner James Gordon, the show will be based around his and the Gotham Police Department's efforts to put down the city's crime and deal with "the villains that made Gotham famous."

Though there have currently been no announcements concerning potential casting, it's been confirmed that Bruno Heller, whose TV work includes Rome and The Mentalist, will be working on the series. Apparently confident in the series' success (it is Batman related after all), Fox has decided to skip filming a pilot and instead has put a straight-to-series order in place. Viewers can probably expect Gotham to start airing during the 2014-2014 TV season.

Personally, this news excites me, especially since it reminds me of the comic <a href=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_6?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=gotham%20central&sprefix=gotham%2Cstripbooks%2C187&rh=i%3Astripbooks%2Ck%3Agotham%20central>Gotham Central which largely sidelined Batman and instead focused on the police officers routinely getting chewed up and spit out by Gotham's infamous rogues gallery. That being the case, Gotham being on Fox could lead to some potential complications. Most notably, potential crossovers with other DC-based TV series, The CW's Arrow for instance, probably won't be happening with Gotham on Fox. Granted, that's not necessarily a tragedy (I've always liked Batman content to be self-contained), but there are probably some who would like to see DC television properties weaving together a la the Marvel Films and ABC's recently launched Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. That issue aside, it will be interesting to see how Gotham pans out.

Source: <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/25/gotham-batmans-commissioner-gordon-getting-fox-tv-series>IGN

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
I bet that this is DC trying to, again, trying to repeat the success of the Marvel film universe, in this case "Agents of Shields" (missed the pilot last night >_< ). Now, the question will be if it is at all connected to the Superman/Batman crossover.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I hope this doesn't end up too dark and gritty, like Batman: Year One [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman:_Year_One_(film)]. I know that one was positively received, but I felt like the whole thing was just gloom and way too dry. Honestly, I wouldn't mind if this was just a standard, run of the mill police procedural set in Gotham. Throw in a stock Batman villain every now and then, go over the top with corruption among nearly the entire department, and you've really got it.

P.S. Thanks

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
I don't understand how cop shows can be so popular despite every person ever always telling me how much they hate cops and fuck the police. Maybe it's the silent ones watching them?

Gizmo1990

Insert funny title here
Oct 19, 2010
I can see that some people are happy about this and I am glad but to me Gotham City without Batman is like chocolate cake without the chocolate.

Boring, disapointing and completely pointless.

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
The article and the comments didn't mention Gotham Central which was a similar comic book. The series was really well reviewed and I recommend giving it a look. If they stick to that formula there could be a very good show.

Berny Marcus

May 20, 2013
I don't understand, or fathom this. Why is this show on FOX? I mean yes Fox has the rights or legal means to do it. But why would Warner Bros let them do this? Why not have it on the CW? There own freakin channel?

I just cannot..wow.

Edit: Actually I remember that, Batman: TAS aired on Fox Kids way back, so yeah ignore my post.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Pseudonym2 said:
The article and the comments didn't mention Gotham Central which was a similar comic book. The series was really well reviewed and I recommend giving it a look. If they stick to that formula there could be a very good show.
Might want to peek at the last paragraph, friend. ;)

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
StewShearer said:
Pseudonym2 said:
Might want to peek at the last paragraph, friend. ;)
Whoops. I read it twice but my eyes just completly skipped over that part.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
Eri said:
I don't understand how cop shows can be so popular despite every person ever always telling me how much they hate cops and fuck the police. Maybe it's the silent ones watching them?
It's because most people enjoy watching a good mystery, and that the shows often shake a disapproving finger at the practices that garner the profession a bad reputation.

OT: Don't know if I'd be too interested in this. From my admittedly casual knowledge of the Batverse, it was my understanding that the Gotham rogues gallery did not exist prior to Batman's appearance. The ones who did exist before were nothing but run of the mill gangsters or crooks before they had their villain creating run in with Batman.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
I hope they do take the Gotham Central approach to this Gordon show and have the other cops and detectives (honest or otherwise) as his supporting cast. Maybe they'll have former Bat-writers working on it, like GC's Greg Rucka and Ed Brubaker!

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
They're hoping to replicate the success of shows like Smallville that only seldom featured Clark/Superman, and focused more on what metropolis was like before the man of steel arrived.

Oh, wait!

Winnosh

Sep 23, 2010
As much as Gotham Central was great. And as much as this has the possibility to be frikkin amazing...

I have my doubts since Warner Bros has been very crappy lately with their properties. Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, Green Lantern, Wonder Woman failed pilot, lackluster final season of Smallville, ect. Arrow has been their only good work from what I've been hearing for quite some time.

dementis

Aug 28, 2009
If it's any good they'll probably cancel it after the first season.

I wouldn't mind a show along the line of Batman: year one, the Gordon in that was pretty damn awesome.

KazeAizen

Jul 17, 2013
Not G. Ivingname said:
I bet that this is DC trying to, again, trying to repeat the success of the Marvel film universe, in this case "Agents of Shields" (missed the pilot last night >_< ). Now, the question will be if it is at all connected to the Superman/Batman crossover.
That's the thing. What Marvel did changed everything. All bets are off on what those two can and can't do. I mean it appears to me on the CW DC is trying to weave a TV universe starting with Arrow. Arrow's second season is rumored to have Flash in at least 3 episodes and a season finale that is supposed to lead into The Flash tv show pilot. Also Wonder Woman is rumored to make an appearance and I know she's getting her own TV show called Amazon as well. Heck people are wondering if any of these are going to tie back to the Man of Steel universe they are setting up.

Point is Marvel kicked down the door and the sky is the limit for this stuff now. Fox is planning a Fantastic 4 reboot and that is said to cross over with the X-men. We know Marvel is going to be alright. Especially if they manage to sell Guardians of the Galaxy. If that is a hit they can do anything. As for everyone else I want to see how this will play out for them. Its actually kind of interesting. The last time we had this many super hero shows might've been the mid 90s to early 2000s and those were animated. Also did you hear about the Warner Bros casting call for "A strong female lead" in the Superman/Batman movie? As in physically strong. Guess what all the agents and fans are thinking.

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
I like the idea, but in order to do this they'd have to bring in DC villains every once in a while, and because the execs will want more views and more money they'd have villains central to Batman's character, for example the Joker, without batman. I don't like that part, using Joker as an example, would he exist without Batman? That's why he's so special, there are other villains just like him that would make it criminal not to have the Bat involved. However, if they stuck to serial killers like Zsasz, that'd be incredible, and they could go very dark with it.