Rockstar Confirms GTA Online Microtransactions, Other Details

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Rockstar Confirms GTA Online Microtransactions, Other Details

Grand Theft Auto Online will offer microtransactions but Rockstar says they're intended for "instant gratification types" who don't want to make money by actually playing the game.

Confirming the rumor that went up yesterday and gained strength earlier today, Rockstar has doled out a pile more information about GTA Online, including the fact that microtransactions will be supported. "You can either quickly accumulate cash through profitable activities like knocking over armored cars, winning street races, doing stick-ups or a host of other cash-making endeavors - or if you're the completely instant gratification type, you can choose to buy denominations of GTA$," Rockstar wrote.

"The game and its economy have been designed and balanced for the vast majority of players who will not buy extra cash. There is no in-game paywall and nothing that should disrupt the balance of the game," the message states. "You don't have to spend real money to attain the cars, guns, clothes, flash and style of a high-roller in Los Santos, but can if you wish to get them a little quicker."

That's that, then, but there's a lot more information in the post as well, including descriptions of some of the kinds of jobs you can take on, what kind of races and sports will be available, customization options and plans for content updates. Rockstar also made a point of noting that there will inevitably be bumps in the road when the game first launches, perhaps to cool down the overheated expectations of fans.

"There will be the typical growing pains for an online game, including but not limited to crashes, glitches, crazy bugs, gameplay modes and mechanics that need re-balancing and other surprises!" it wrote. "This sort of thing is inevitable in a massive open-world game and there'll surely be lots more unexpected oddities like this in the Online world next week - rest assured we'll be monitoring and actively doing all we can to smooth such things out as they happen, but we need your help to find them, as well as your feedback to help fine tune all of the game's systems so everything is perfectly balanced."

Grand Theft Auto Online opens its doors to the world on October 1.

Source: Rockstar [http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/51422/some-more-details-on-grand-theft-auto-online.html]

Gilbert Estrada

Apr 30, 2010
The cynic in me expects one of the microtransactions will be a 'car retrieval service' that recovers customized cars that currently vanish without a trace due to a 'bug'.

Lord_Gremlin

Apr 10, 2009
I'm not ok with crashes in a console games or microtransactions unless it's a free2play game of specific type (for example card game).

El_Duderino

Nov 30, 2012
MinionJoe said:
I envision two play styles in GTAO:

In one, groups of players queue up outside of gas stations, waiting for their chance to stick up the place and make off with $200.

In the other, groups of players spend real money on miniguns in order to mow down groups of players queued up outside of gas stations.
fucking A, that is the fear. However Rockstar have addressed this, and claim to have a system to stop the "cunts" from getting into your game. Something to do with ranking et cetera. Once again, no matter the fact that Rockstar is one of my favourite companies, I will not trust anything they say in regards to multiplayer until I play it. I have been a sucker for flashy business talk too many times in the past, and the GTA:O description seems to have a lot of these so called " goals " that, for all I know, may never be achieved. Time will tell, and I look forward to sticking up a gas station with a pistol.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I like to earn money to buy stuff by playing the game. That's kind of the whole point. But for people who don't have the time, but would like to be able to fly a super expensive jet online, this is a good thing. I don't mind it.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Phrozenflame500 said:
I hope this doesn't mean "spend 60$ every week or grind for 500 hours", but we'll see.
That's the part that worries me. If it's got the usual bullshit that comes along with mts in a multiplayer game, that's gonna suuuuuuuuuck.

MinionJoe said:

In one, groups of players queue up outside of gas stations, waiting for their chance to stick up the place and make off with $200.

In the other, groups of players spend real money on miniguns in order to mow down groups of players queued up outside of gas stations.
...Actually, that sounds like fun. >.>

The Plunk said:
Rockstar: "Here, have some microtransactions to go with your differently-named online pass!"

Sheep Customers: "Thank you, mister Rockstar sir. Please fuck us harder. :)"
Wait, there's an online pass?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The Plunk said:
If I'm not mistaken, you only get free access to GTA Online with new copies of GTA V. So it's functionally identical to an online pass.

Of course I may be wrong, in which case I deserve to be slapped once with medium force.
There's no code of which I'm aware that you are required to input to verify it's new. Is there one? Really, GTAO is just the online portion of the game. It constitutes half the Gamerscore for the title and as such there's nothing different about it unless there's a pass.

And if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I didn't see one in my case, so I'ma be piiiiiiiiiiiiissed.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
Rockstar: We're just putting it in so lazy people can get what they want
Rockstar didn't say: It's there to fund future development of the online component

One of these would be leveling with their consumers and not cause that much rage. It's the one they didn't go for.

Sean Kay

Jul 4, 2011
Zachary Amaranth said:
The Plunk said:
If I'm not mistaken, you only get free access to GTA Online with new copies of GTA V. So it's functionally identical to an online pass.

Of course I may be wrong, in which case I deserve to be slapped once with medium force.
There's no code of which I'm aware that you are required to input to verify it's new. Is there one? Really, GTAO is just the online portion of the game. It constitutes half the Gamerscore for the title and as such there's nothing different about it unless there's a pass.

And if I'm wrong, I'm wrong, but I didn't see one in my case, so I'ma be piiiiiiiiiiiiissed.
He's talking out of his arse. I got a brand new copy today, still in the wrapping. No online pass code in there

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Sean Kay said:
He's talking out of his arse. I got a brand new copy today, still in the wrapping. No online pass code in there
Good to know. If there was an online pass, and I didn't get one in my pre-ordered version, heads would roll.

Heads of lettuce, but still.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Sean Kay said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
The Plunk said:

You must have some good xray goggles if you can see if theres an online pass in a game thats still in its wrapping lol (I'm being a smart ass xD )
I can confirm, my special edition only came with a code for the extras, no 'online passcode'

Jamous

Apr 14, 2009
So long as it doesn't take prohibitively long to get the higher tier stuff without paying, or there's at least a relatively continuous rate of getting stuff, this could work out just fine. Otherwise this will likely prove to be an irritating decision to say the least.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
Well this was completely expected since both games for $60 was such a good deal they have to make money back. Well apart from that other $1Bn.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
MinionJoe said:

Don't be absurd. It's far easier, and lucerative to taxi people around! :p
If you can hide your markers, people might not even know you're there.

On another note, I hope that you can hold private games, and that there's some decent anti-griefing tools. I'm not sure not being able to be shot until you shoot is going to work well.
Private games aughta be enough, though.