The Last of Us Voice Actors Turn Ending Into a Musical

Cognimancer

Imperial Intelligence
Jun 13, 2012
The Last of Us Voice Actors Turn Ending Into a Musical

The Last of Us had several possible endings before Naughty Dog narrowed it down - but only one of those endings featured Joel breaking out into song.

Voice acting is hard work, especially on a game as character-driven as Naughty Dog's The Last of Us. The game's emotional climax was particularly tough to capture, and after several takes the cast and crew were understandably drained. So how do you raise morale after a long day of performing? If you're Neil Druckmann, creative director and mad genius, you spin the game's dark finale into a sudden, improvised musical. Obviously, since this is the end of the game, the video is riddled with spoilers.

Troy Baker and Merle Dandridge, who played Joel and Marlene respectively, are both talented singers - though the dreary script of The Last of Us doesn't really call for Broadway performances, despite Ellie's requests. Before the final take of the game's climactic scene, however, Druckmann took Dandridge aside and secretly instructed her to belt out her lines in song. Meanwhile, Baker was told nothing but "keep going, no matter what."

What's impressive is that the voice actors didn't even blink as they delivered their lines to an impromptu tune, transforming a sober scene into an inspired, borderline-uplifting act. They played the scene, straight faces all around, through to the end. This, ladies and gentlemen, is why voice acting is more than just talking into a microphone - this is talent.

Source: PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/09/26/the-last-of-us-outbreak-day-and-alternate-ending/]

Dec 14, 2009
That was both really fucking lame, and really fucking awesome :D

Man, voice actors really need more recognition.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
This is the best thing I've seen all day. This is glorious. The look on Baker's face when Dandridge starts singing is friggin' perfect.

toomuchnothing

Jul 5, 2010
Was any one else let down in the actual ending just because Joel didn't sing for Ellie? I remember her saying she was gonna make him do if they ever got out of this and he mentions that he'll teach her guitar when they finish. I was kinda hoping for something during the credits.

Also is "voice actor" really appropriate for a game like this? Yes they provide a voice but also motion capture and other games completely changed characters based around actors performances (Vaas). Its like calling Andy Serkis JUST a voice actor despite the fact he clearly does so much more.

UltraXan

Mar 1, 2011
This video was awesome! The look of "What the fuck is going on???" on Baker's face... Priceless! Pure gold! And then he rolled with it! This was some amazing stuff. Simply amazing.

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
This just makes me love the business even more. Hats off to Baker and Danbridge, seriously. :)

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
I just realized where I'd heard Marlene's voice before. Once I heard the name Merle Dandridge... she played Alyx in Half Life 2. Holy crap.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
The icing on the cake was when Baker decided to provide his own musical accompaniment.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
I was half-hoping Ellie would break out in a chorus of "badum-bum-bum." This is some seriously respectable improvising.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Mad props to Troy Baker for playing along without question. What a truly amazing job these people do for our entertainment.

Soviet Heavy said:
I just realized where I'd heard Marlene's voice before. Once I heard the name Merle Dandridge... she played Alyx in Half Life 2. Holy crap.
Ha, me too! I saw her name in the credits after the game I was like "No way!"

Not entirely sure why it's so exciting to see voice actors in other roles, that's kinda what they do after all. But I didn't even recognise her voice in game so I guess it was a shock :p

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
xD This is pretty good. People should have more fun like this when making games. Maybe even put it into the game as bonus content.
Casual Shinji said:
In the end... Ellie did hear Joel sing. :')
:/ Except she was unconscious in that part of the game. >.< Just her luck.

Oh well, :) we all got to hear it at least.

Alfador_VII

Nov 2, 2009
Proverbial Jon said:
Mad props to Troy Baker for playing along without question. What a truly amazing job these people do for our entertainment.

Soviet Heavy said:
Ha, me too! I saw her name in the credits after the game I was like "No way!"

Not entirely sure why it's so exciting to see voice actors in other roles, that's kinda what they do after all. But I didn't even recognise her voice in game so I guess it was a shock :p
It's even more surprising with Merle Dandrige as she's done almost no voice acting at all outside those games.

Troy Baker seems to be the main male actor in every gig which Nolan North doesn't do. (and he's elsewhere in Last of Us)

Extra-Ordinary

Elite Member
Mar 17, 2010
Oh my goodness, that line,
"You're brain is worth more alive!"

I was cracking up through the whole thing but I almost fell out of my chair when he said that.

skorpion352

Apr 6, 2008
I don't know how any of those actors managed to keep a straight face. That was awesome and hilarious and I want to see more.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Damn, that was really hilarious! I absolutely love it when people show off this kind of stuff, kinda like what they do for the Uncharted games. Also, very impressed by how well they both sung. How funny that I just finished watching Les Miserables last night too. Definitely put a smile on my face!