Killzone Dev Working on New IP

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Killzone Dev Working on New IP

With Killzone: Shadow Fall wrapping up, Guerrilla Games is moving its staff onto a new IP.

Killzone is arguably one of Sony's biggest PlayStation exclusive properties and, in turn, it's kept Guerrilla Games pretty busy since the franchise first launched back in 2004. That being said, Guerrilla has confirmed that with work on Killzone: Shadow Fall wrapping up, members of its staff have begun to move onto the studio's next game: a new IP.

"That's definitely what's happening right now. I can't tell you what we're thinking of but yes," said Eric Boltjes, lead designer for Shadow Fall. "As a studio we do want to branch out, and we have started work on a new IP, something completely different to Killzone. I don't want to say anything about it right now, but as a studio we do want to keep it fresh." Obviously, with the studio staying mum on the details of what "completely different" could mean, the big question is where Guerrilla will go now that it's looking to expand beyond the Killzone franchise. Will it be an online effort a la Destiny, Bungie's big and different effort following Halo? Or should gamers brace for something truly out of the studio's usual step?

Honestly, it might be nice to see more of the latter. While the Killzone games have perhaps not always lived up to the grander hopes some have had for them, the series, by-and-large, has been very solid. Killzone 2 and 3, are arguably two of the best exclusive shooters on the PS3 while Killzone: Mercenary has largely been regarded as <a href=http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-vita/killzone-mercenary>a great game and proof that the Vita can deliver an honest-to-goodness FPS experience. Putting the talent behind those games into something new, in turn, could be an exciting opportunity that we'd hate to see Guerrilla and Sony pass up.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-09-30-killzone-dev-guerrilla-confirms-work-on-new-ip-has-begun>Eurogamer

mirage202

Mar 13, 2012
Is it wrong to think "completely different" means nothing more than another FPS with a different setting?

Greymanelor

May 6, 2013
The eternal optimist in me hopes they'll actually come up with something interesting and original, but the cynic is already saying "Yeah huh, I really look forward to their next sci-fi FPS with space marines."

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Thank goodness. This and Resistance were definite also-rans. They were workmanlike enough, and the moment to moment action could be fun, but it was never fantastic. 'Two of the best exclusive shooters on the PS3' is a really, really low bar. And I love my PS3 for other genres.

Guerilla's obviously quite talented, so a fresh start may help. Though Insomniac really misfired with Fuse so who knows.