Mighty No. 9's First In-Game Footage

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Mighty No. 9's First In-Game Footage

Mighty No. 9 will run on Epic's Unreal 3 engine.

When legendary game designer and Mega Man creator Keiji Inafune revealed his add more stretch goals [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/127371-Update-Mega-Man-Creator-Kickstarts-Mighty-No-9]. To prove just how serious Inafune and his team are, developer Comcept USA has produced a 13 second "super-short, super-rough engine test Inti Creates made in just seven days to see if [the Unreal engine] would be viable for Mighty No. 9".

Nonetheless, the demo does look pretty neat. It looks like Concept has gone for a "2.5D" feel, utilizing 3D models in a 2D space, not unlike Shadow Complex [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadow_Complex]. The team does, however, stress that "The game will not necessarily look like this video, move like this video, or act like this video -- this is a completely rough test only, made in literally one week, using all placeholder assets and animation."

Comcept says that the decision to use the Unreal engine is ultimately the best one, as it means "our team can spend less time worrying about technical mumbo-jumbo, and more time focused on things that really matter to a game like this -- like the feel of the controls, the style of a character's animation, the atmosphere of a level, the balance of Beck's transformations -- the important stuff!"

There's still one day left in the Kickstarter campaign [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts], so if you want to see this game hit its next-gen and 3DS/Vita stretch goals now is the time to contribute! If not, the only platforms that Mighty No. 9 will see initial release on are PC, Mac, Linux, Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS3. The team currently has a rough "November 2014" release date for the game.

Source: Kickstarter [http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mightyno9/mighty-no-9/posts]

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
Wow...That actually looks really good! O_O
So this is what Mega Man would look like if Capcom didn't keep him 8-Bit? Cool!

Mydnyght

Feb 17, 2010
Hmm, that demo shows promise. Glad I put $20 in to the kickstarter project.
Now I got a long time to decide, PC or PS3 version?...

Imp_Emissary

Mages Rule, and Dragons Fly!
Legacy
May 2, 2011
Country
United States
Well, it looks like mega man, and it looks good. Wish we got some sound though.

Also, nice new face there, Steven. =w= b

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
Looks good for just a rough build done in a week, I can't wait for this thing to be released so I can support it since I was unable to give to the kickstarter.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Darren716 said:
Looks good for just a rough build done in a week, I can't wait for this thing to be released so I can support it since I was unable to give to the kickstarter.
Well as of my posting there are still 21 hours to go... I've never done a KS before I hope things work out well for this one.

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
This just in: the next gen stretch goal has been reached! The game will now be available on the Xbox One and PS4! Now lets hit that portable stretch goal!

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Good and all, but I somehow hoped they'd go for a more cell-shaded, comicky style for this game (considering its spiritual ancestor). This looks a bit too... shiny. But this is obviously all placeholder-stuff, anyway, so who knows what it'll actually look like when it's done, even if they don't go for a comicky style.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I don't have the funds to help kickstart this wonderful game but I will buy it day 1 if it holds true. :)

Sheo_Dagana

Aug 12, 2009
You see this, Capcom? Fans are not only willing to pay good money for a Mega Man game, they're even more willing to give even more money for it to not be made by you! If that isn't the final straw that gets them to take a second look at how they're doing these days, I have no idea what will.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
So far it looks good, glad to see something similar to Mega Man with some aded flavor show up, totally worth the donation. Best of luck to Inafune and his team.

Take notes Capcom. Title it "Our downfall".

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Mighty No9 has just broken the 3.3 million barrier meaning that it will also release on the two next gen consoles.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
Oh look, another indie 2/2.5D game.

Just... too many.
I know right? I mean what is next? Another 3D Triple A title? I want my smell-o-vision people.

OT: This feels a bit bitter sweet. It is like getting what you always wanted (a new gen megaman game on home consoles) but not at the same time (not actually a megaman game). Oh well I can't really complain. I mean we all know what happened to Megamanin the hands of Capcom. His only new game at the moment is a Japan excusive IOS game with 20 dollar production value.

Sad times indeed but not too sad.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008

Last day to back it has arrived, they've smashed through the next gen consoles, one more stetch goal for the Vita/3DS and it's coming to every console under the sun. Just looking at the test makes me glad I haven't gorged myself on 2D platformer games recently, by the time the development stage has ended I'll be real thirsty for a game like this.

I'm happy this game is getting made. I was backing it on day one and I was crossing my fingers that they'd even make 900k and now look at this. Insanity.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
I wonder if we'll hear of another Kickstarter in a year or so: Might No. 9: Legends.
It would be only proper, just to kick Capcom in the teeth for not making MML3.

Arnoxthe1

Elite Member
Dec 25, 2010
bafrali said:
I know right? I mean what is next? Another 3D Triple A title? I want my smell-o-vision people.
OK. So just because something is 3D, it automatically needs to be triple-A? Are you serious?

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
Arnoxthe1 said:
bafrali said:
OK. So just because something is 3D, it automatically needs to be triple-A? Are you serious?
I think you missed the point a bit. Reason why indie games uses 2.5 D is because it is easier to animate, cheaper and mod friendly since indie games often live or die with their community support on PC. You may not like the reality but so few indie studio has the budget to make a full blown 3D game or 2D games with lovely hand-drawn backgrounds (see. Rayman Legends which is one of the few examples this gen). So when someone complains about the 2.5D without thinking the rationale behind it, they sound like a bit of a dick to those who do.

Oh and it is clearly explained in the descripition that this is a very rough build and subject to change. So I suggest waiting before dismissing the game. You know, open mind and stuff.